Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI GEN II mag issues

BillJ

On 2/4/2020 at 8:28 PM, BillJ said:

Need help recently switched to 9 major from 38SC. Both my guns run flawlessly with all 3 size MBX mags which are my MATCH mags however I have a bunch of Gen 2 mags that have issues with. I am running Gen 2 bodies Grams guts and TTI basepads and the first few rounds tend to dive. The 170’s are a lot worse the the 140s. Springs are all brand new left loaded for a week to set.Now my question is am I better off to get these running as practice mags or just scrap  them and go all MBX  I don’t know That much about GEN 2s

When you are only having the first few rounds of a fully loaded magazine FTF, in my experience, it's not enough spring tension.  The last time I spoke to Beven, he wasn't even sure if his kits would work with the Gen2 tubes, but maybe that has changed......

It has been my experience that if the first couple of rounds fail to feed it is because of TOO MUCH spring tension.  Condition the springs by leaving the mags fully loaded for a week or more.  Two weeks seems to do it for 2011 mags.  10-round 1911 9mm mags are another story.  It took 5 weeks of 'conditioning' before the first round would feed and not nose dive.

13 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

When you are only having the first few rounds of a fully loaded magazine FTF, in my experience, it's not enough spring tension.  The last time I spoke to Beven, he wasn't even sure if his kits would work with the Gen2 tubes, but maybe that has changed......

I am using grams springs and followers in gen 2 mags both 140 and 170 and have not had any trouble.

15 hours ago, zzt said:

It has been my experience that if the first couple of rounds fail to feed it is because of TOO MUCH spring tension.  Condition the springs by leaving the mags fully loaded for a week or more.  Two weeks seems to do it for 2011 mags.  10-round 1911 9mm mags are another story.  It took 5 weeks of 'conditioning' before the first round would feed and not nose dive.

Brandon Strayer must not know what he's talking about then......

44 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

Brandon Strayer must not know what he's talking about then......

I'm reporting my experiences.  They do not match what you suggested.  Even using the same springs for three seasons I've never had one get weak enough not to push a round up high enough to feed.  Plus, it is not the first couple of rounds that fail to feed, it is the last couple.  Too strong a spring, as when new and unconditioned, can cause the top round or so to nose dive and fail to feed.

• 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, FTP_Shooting_Sports said:

Is it just me or do the new gen 2 springs feel way too soft? There seems to be very little spring tension.

Just got a 140 & a 170 gen II and loaded them both up with dummy rounds to make sure they feed in my CK open gun. Fed fine, hand ejected great, springs felt good. I will shoot them this Thursday and check out.

Measured  the feed lips and they were within specs.

gerritm