Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI GEN II mag issues

BillJ

Need help recently switched to 9 major from 38SC. Both my guns run flawlessly with all 3 size MBX mags which are my MATCH mags however I have a bunch of Gen 2 mags that have issues with. I am running Gen 2 bodies Grams guts and TTI basepads and the first few rounds tend to dive. The 170’s are a lot worse the the 140s. Springs are all brand new left loaded for a week to set.Now my question is am I better off to get these running as practice mags or just scrap  them and go all MBX  I don’t know That much about GEN 2s

Go out to YouTube and look for the video from Atlas Gunworks.  They show how the body is not correctly tapered and show how to fix it.  While out there, look at the rest of their mag tuning and troubleshooting videos.  Great stuff.

Mike

1 minute ago, molson said:

Go out to YouTube and look for the video from Atlas Gunworks.  They show how the body is not correctly tapered and show how to fix it.  While out there, look at the rest of their mag tuning and troubleshooting videos.  Great stuff.

Mike

This^^^. I have 6 140s and 3 170s that I run for my open gun, for both 9mm and 38SC. Shoot about 15k-20k rounds a year. I run all TTI guts and have had zero issues with the mags once they were tuned. 

Yes, you will need a spacer for the switch from 38 Super Comp to 9mm. 

I would also recommend the Dawson Magazine Tuning kits. the contain all the tools necessary as well as a DVD which is extremely helpful. 

Just an FYI, I switched from MBX to the STI GenII magazines and have had zero issues after I conduct the entire magazine tuning from Mr. Dawson. 

Spacers, not so much with gen 2's.   Gen 1 mags, yes.  Two entirely different designs.  As TRPOperator said above, thousands and thousands of 9mm through my gen 2's without a problem and without spacers.  Once they were tuned.

Now with all that said, if spacers make your mags work, why not?  But once properly tuned you do not need them for gen 2's.  Do what ever works.

Mike

1 minute ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

Yes, even with the Gen II mags. 

What is the method for using spacers? Are they affixed in any way? I have a metal spacer for my 140 mm 38 super mag but when slid in it drops down with the TTI basepad installed.

I run a 170 gen 2 that came with my chaos, no spacers are needed. It runs with out a hitch.. Forgot to ask, what type of gun are you running that plays a big part with the issue you are having.? 

Edited by Furrly

1 hour ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

Yes, even with the Gen II mags. 

The design of the tube eliminates the need for spacers. Just like they are not needed with MBX and SV tubes. Use them if you want but then you need new followers.

1 hour ago, vgdvc said:

What is the method for using spacers? Are they affixed in any way? I have a metal spacer for my 140 mm 38 super mag but when slid in it drops down with the TTI basepad installed.

Don’t use them with gen II tubes. You have to change to shorter followers if you do. But if you insist, go for it. In my GEN ONE STI tubes I use metal spacers. I silicone them in place. Just make sure to use some method of holding them firmly against the back of the tube. 

My main gun is a Custom CK and the backup is the new DVC O. Both guns work flawless with MBX mags and neither gun seems to like the gen 2 170’s and hit or miss on the 140’s . I did see Adams video when he adjusted the actual body. My 38SC I used MBX and Gen 1 mags and it ran both flawlessly

First off, I have watched the Atlas Gen2 tuning video.  It really isn't necessary.  My Gen2 tubes (21 round) ran fine right out of the bag.  I use them for Classifiers and whenever I have to drop a mag in dust or mud.  Otherwise I use my MBX mags.

I switched out the springs, followers and base pads to TTI.  After you cut off the slide lock tab, they work just like MBX.  Really, the only difference is the feed lips sometimes need tuning after being dropped a lot.  I've learned to down load them for Classifiers so I'm not dropping almost full mags.  I haven't had to tune feed lips since.

BTW, I shoot 9 major and minor.  You do NOT need spacers for the 9/38 Gen2 STI mags.  They feed everything from 1.135" to 1.165".  They may feed other OALs, but I haven't tried them.

1 hour ago, BillJ said:

Funny thing I noticed today all my Gen 2 mags runs flawlessly in my STI just not my CK. I am just going to keep the MBX for my CK and GEN 2’s for my STI 

I had a similar problem and swapped out the mag catch. They seem to hold mags higher/lower from type to type.

If you’re getting nose dives open the feed lips up some. As @Sarge eluded to the mag catch on ck is lower, causing the bullet to hit the ramp lower. The tighter feed lips the longer the mag holds on to the bullet. You want to open the lips and have the bullet not only set higher but hit higher on the ramp. 

On 2/4/2020 at 10:32 PM, TRPOperator said:

This^^^. I have 6 140s and 3 170s that I run for my open gun, for both 9mm and 38SC. Shoot about 15k-20k rounds a year. I run all TTI guts and have had zero issues with the mags once they were tuned. 

This go watch the tuning videos from Atlas and get the kit from Dawson.  This is what I did and I used all TTI springs and followers I am sure grams would have worked as well. 

Do not use spacers with Gen II.

You don't need them.  Follow the Atlas method on youtube, they have a few videos on it now and buy the Dawson mag tuning tools.  They're good to have because you might need to retune them after extended use.  I did this and mine ran great for the past 2 years.

Edited by CaliYeti

On 2/4/2020 at 9:28 PM, BillJ said:

Need help recently switched to 9 major from 38SC. Both my guns run flawlessly with all 3 size MBX mags which are my MATCH mags however I have a bunch of Gen 2 mags that have issues with. I am running Gen 2 bodies Grams guts and TTI basepads and the first few rounds tend to dive. The 170’s are a lot worse the the 140s. Springs are all brand new left loaded for a week to set.Now my question is am I better off to get these running as practice mags or just scrap  them and go all MBX  I don’t know That much about GEN 2s

I have had similar issues. 

By the time you switch out the spring, follower, basepad, and indiscriminately hit the tube a bunch with a hammer, you will come to the realization (as I did)  that buying some more MBX mags seem like a good idea. Especially since they have worked flawlessly