Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PT Honcho Open Gun

Practicalomaha

Anyone have a Huncho open gun? I have one ordered and have talked to 4-5 different people that have them and overall have heard great things. But have also heard some bad things that they had to send it back to get fixed. Looking for more feedback from people who have them. Let me know your experiences. Thanks

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I’ve got 2 of them set up for open. I’ve had a couple things minor here and there. But nothing major.
I did change the springs on mine. But besides that nothing crazy. I have about 15,000 rounds on both mine together.
Once you get it tuned for you, with your Ammo, it’s a dream. You’ll love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, Practicalomaha said:

Anyone have a Huncho open gun? I have one ordered and have talked to 4-5 different people that have them and overall have heard great things. But have also heard some bad things that they had to send it back to get fixed. Looking for more feedback from people who have them. Let me know your experiences. Thanks

What "bad things" were needed to be fixed?  Manufacturing flaws I think would be rather rare...so was this a spring/trigger set up prob, etc?

I guess let me rephrase it as bad things are the wrong words. I have talked to two people that had issues from the beginning and had to send it back for repairs but nothing major. I have also talked to a few other people and they have had no issues and love them. Just trying to hear honest feedback from people who already have them in there hands. Seems a lot of people have one on order but not a lot of people giving reviews and updates after a few 1000 rounds. 

15 hours ago, 2Alphamikenoshoot said:

I’ve got 2 of them set up for open. I’ve had a couple things minor here and there. But nothing major.
I did change the springs on mine. But besides that nothing crazy. I have about 15,000 rounds on both mine together.
Once you get it tuned for you, with your Ammo, it’s a dream. You’ll love it.

Are you shooting 9major or Super? What springs ( hammer,recoil) did you change out and settle on? Thanks

Are you shooting 9major or Super? What springs ( hammer,recoil) did you change out and settle on? Thanks

For me and my Shooting style I figured out it was sprung too heavy. Occasionally it would stove pipe or not fully engage the ejector.
After trouble shooting with brian on the phone and ruling out everything with the gun
(Mount screws protruding in spring tunnel, issues with engaging the ambi safety, things like that)
I tried changing the springs out. I would not suggest doing that until you’ve shot the gun. What might work for you might not work for me and vice versa.
I switched it to a 7pound ismi with 2 coils cut off and one pound lighter main spring. Can’t remember what it is. I think it’s 19. So switched to an 18. Or an 18 and switched to a 17.
It’s just open guns. Gotta tune em and have them set up properly. I do have to say Brian is super knowledgeable and helpful. If you have an issue he’ll call you and talk to you to get it sorted out no matter what time it is.

And to answer your question I shoot both 9major and 38sc. Just depends what I have on hand. I shoot 80% 9major tho. I don’t switch any springs out. I just swap the barrels right at the range. And I’m good to go.

20 minutes ago, 2Alphamikenoshoot said:

For me and my Shooting style I figured out it was sprung too heavy. Occasionally it would stove pipe or not fully engage the ejector.
After trouble shooting with brian on the phone and ruling out everything with the gun
(Mount screws protruding in spring tunnel, issues with engaging the ambi safety, things like that)
I tried changing the springs out. I would not suggest doing that until you’ve shot the gun. What might work for you might not work for me and vice versa.
I switched it to a 7pound ismi with 2 coils cut off and one pound lighter main spring. Can’t remember what it is. I think it’s 19. So switched to an 18. Or an 18 and switched to a 17.
It’s just open guns. Gotta tune em and have them set up properly. I do have to say Brian is super knowledgeable and helpful. If you have an issue he’ll call you and talk to you to get it sorted out no matter what time it is.

And to answer your question I shoot both 9major and 38sc. Just depends what I have on hand. I shoot 80% 9major tho. I don’t switch any springs out. I just swap the barrels right at the range. And I’m good to go.

Good to hear they are easy and good to work with. Thanks

Good to hear they are easy and good to work with. Thanks

Oh. I was trying to remember what other problem I had. So this is kinda embarrassing. But s#!t happens. Somehow I broke a screw head off trying to tighten my optic mount down. And it broke off damn near flush with the frame. So I couldn’t get it out. Sent it back. They drilled it out no issues. And all the threads were good to go.
But they got it back to me pretty fast. But I suppose stupid stuff I do is why I have a back up gun haha

So, I just got my 9 major Honcho a week ago and my buddy did as well. Coming from owning Atlas guns these are a "rough" fit. Now granted my Atlas was 7K and took 20+ hours to build. These take 1/4 time I hear. Upon breaking the gun in after 250 rounds both my buddies gun and mine the disconnector stuck down, making the guns not able to fire. Upon dissaembly I saw it was a EGW with the bulb design. Contacted Tiffany and she overnighted us 2 Extreme fluted disconnector to install. Great customer service move there. Still trying to get the gun to run reliably. 

Edited by Carry9shoot40

9 hours ago, Carry9shoot40 said:

So, I just got my 9 major Honcho a week ago and my buddy did as well. Coming from owning Atlas guns these are a "rough" fit. Now granted my Atlas was 7K and took 20+ hours to build. These take 1/4 time I hear. Upon breaking the gun in after 250 rounds both my buddies gun and mine the disconnector stuck down, making the guns not able to fire. Upon dissaembly I saw it was a EGW with the bulb design. Contacted Tiffany and she overnighted us 2 Extreme fluted disconnector to install. Great customer service move there. Still trying to get the gun to run reliably. 

Yikes. That’s not good. Hope you get them running. It makes sense as far as the fit and finish but that shouldn’t take away from being reliable. 

11 hours ago, Carry9shoot40 said:

What is the gun doing that is not running properly?  They seem to have very good and immediate customer service, what do they recommend you do to remedy this?

7 hours ago, vgdvc said:

What is the gun doing that is not running properly?  They seem to have very good and immediate customer service, what do they recommend you do to remedy this?

The disco got stuck down after 250 rounds. Replaced that. Then going to test it again just multiple jams and stovepipes. Not ejecting cases and very erratic.  Talking with other Honcho guys I’m going to replace the recoil spring with a (6 variable in the gun)7lb ISMI with two coils cut and the mainspring with 17lb(19 in gun). Then if I continue to have issues add a spring to the Aftec extractor. We will see. 

17 minutes ago, Carry9shoot40 said:

The disco got stuck down after 250 rounds. Replaced that. Then going to test it again just multiple jams and stovepipes. Not ejecting cases and very erratic.  Talking with other Honcho guys I’m going to replace the recoil spring with a (6 variable in the gun)7lb ISMI with two coils cut and the mainspring with 17lb(19 in gun). Then if I continue to have issues add a spring to the Aftec extractor. We will see. 

Keep us posted. Are you using mixed brass in 9 mm? If so maybe take notice to the ones that are giving you issue and see if there is a consistency in head dimensions. If you have a finicky extractor it may be less tolerant for feeding and ejecting properly with certain brands of casings. Could be the extractor claw needs a little touching up or like you said  additional tension will help across the board. Is the breech face  polished smooth?

4 minutes ago, vgdvc said:

Keep us posted. Are you using mixed brass in 9 mm? If so maybe take notice to the ones that are giving you issue and see if there is a consistency in head dimensions. If you have a finicky extractor it may be less tolerant for feeding and ejecting properly with certain brands of casings. Could be the extractor claw needs a little touching up or like you said  additional tension will help across the board. Is the breech face  polished smooth?

All same head stamp. Remington. Breach face is not polished. 

Both MBX which the gun does not like and tuned Atlas STI gen 2 l. Only MBX it likes is I have one with Grams internals. Everybody says that the Mbx is the best but I’m not seeing that. 

Damn that sucks. Mine loves MBX, 12 different ones in total between 9/38 and 40. Not a single issue or modification needed to any of them straight out the package. Something finicky for sure going on with yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Having a breech face polished whether you or they do it certainly wouldn't be a bad thing I would think. How does the claw of the extractor look is it nice and rounded/smooth at the right spot in the the bottom to help  feeding? Maybe the additional spring tension will help? What the top end off can you slide a loaded round underneath it and shake it without it coming out as it sits now?

1 hour ago, vgdvc said:

Having a breech face polished whether you or they do it certainly wouldn't be a bad thing I would think. How does the claw of the extractor look is it nice and rounded/smooth at the right spot in the the bottom to help  feeding? Maybe the additional spring tension will help? What the top end off can you slide a loaded round underneath it and shake it without it coming out as it sits now?

None of my Atlas guns had the breech face polished and all ran fine. Yes, I know the shake test and it passes. Comes out on the 5-6th shake. 

Edited by Carry9shoot40