Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading on the Move - Weak Hand Reloads

b1indfire

I was wondering how to keep from breaking 180 when moving from right to left (right hand shooter) and using the weak hand reload (aka, weak hand puts the bullets in).
There's not much material that I've found, but I did find the video below. In it, Julie Golob performs a right to left reload at 10:05, but she does a sideways shuffle since there's not much distance to cover.

What do you do if you have a much longer distance to go?

moving right to left (assuming right handed shooter) is where weak hand reloading shines, because you are maintaining a firing grip with your strong hand it is pretty easy to control the muzzle direction and keep it down range. I believe in the video she just shuffles because there is so little distance to cover, you can see in the video that her reload takes longer than her movement so not time is lost in the movement speed. for longer movement I just turn my torso a little and run with the gun on my down range side angled slightly down range, then as im running reach to the gun with the moon. For me moving right to left or left to right make almost zero difference running a revo because the weak hand reload is about equal in 180 safety going either way. 

Once you give it a try you will see that it is very easy to control the muzzle with weak hand reloads. 

Clarification question: If the revolver is pointed straight down, will I still maintain 180 if the top of the revolver does not maintain 180 (i.e. the sights are pointed uprange)?

I like to do reloads to the right of the center of my body. I would like to know how exaggerated my muzzle pointing down range has to be.

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, b1indfire said:

Clarification question: If the revolver is pointed straight down, will I still maintain 180 if the top of the revolver does not maintain 180 (i.e. the sights are pointed uprange)?

I like to do reloads to the right of the center of my body. I would like to know how exaggerated my muzzle pointing down range has to be.

Thanks!

How can the gun be pointed straight down and not meet the 180.  If the sights are Pointe up range you are not breaking the rule but if the gun is at 180 in any direction you now broke the 180 rule.  I've never seen anyone get called for this.  Normally it's side to side pointing to the 180 that will get you DQ'd.

But I could be wrong.

23 hours ago, b1indfire said:

Thanks!

think of it like this the bore of your gun must be pointing inside the 180 if that is 179999 you are still ok, but the closer you get the more exited you make the RO 

when I reload I don't point my gun straight down more like 70-80 deg down (if level is zero) when I am moving side ways I will also cant the barrel 10-20 degrees in the down range direction just to make sure I keep myself well away from the RO having to think about the 180.

So it doesn't matter which way the gun is oriented, as long as the bore is pointed downrange?

The way I do it right now is to hold it in such a way that the handle is pointed as close to directly down range as I can, which is why it's a little awkward for me.

If it's fine to have the handle point at the right wall, but the bore is still pointed downrange, I think it'll be a lot easier.

Edited by b1indfire

Avoiding 180 DQs is one very important reason for choosing the weak-hand reload.  Keeping the gun firmly in the strong hand helps the shooter stay in control of things.  It's pretty easy to stay away from the 180 line, even when moving hard to the left.  I would think something pretty wild would have to happen to sweep your weak arm/hand with the muzzle. 

• 1 month later...

IMHO, as a IDPA S.O. , if I saw your muzzle on the 180, even pointed at the floor ,I would stop you imeadiately and a DQ would follow; KEEP AWAY FROM THE 180 ! AT ALL COSTS!  when I do a weak hand reload w/speedloaders, I do the Gloob Shuffle while muzzle is Down Range, close cylinder, then face the 180 increasing speed to the next shooting position, while keeping the muzzle pointed, arm extended mostly straight down range, not at the floor or ground.  

if you hit the 180, you've gone too far even if you don't break it. S.O.s are going to error on the side of safety.   P.S. the LAST thing a S.O. wants to do is DQ. another shooter. please help them whenever you are on the firing line.

27 minutes ago, bugs said:

IMHO, as a IDPA S.O. , if I saw your muzzle on the 180, even pointed at the floor ,I would stop you imeadiately and a DQ would follow; KEEP AWAY FROM THE 180 ! AT ALL COSTS!  when I do a weak hand reload w/speedloaders, I do the Gloob Shuffle while muzzle is Down Range, close cylinder, then face the 180 increasing speed to the next shooting position, while keeping the muzzle pointed, arm extended mostly straight down range, not at the floor or ground.  

if you hit the 180, you've gone too far even if you don't break it. S.O.s are going to error on the side of safety.   P.S. the LAST thing a S.O. wants to do is DQ. another shooter. please help them whenever you are on the firing line.

That sounds like something an IDPA SO would do. 

To be clear for any shooters out there that plan to become safety officers and up, reaching the 180 with a muzzle is NOT a DQ.

This attitude, along with the classic subjective scoring in IDPA, is what makes it looked down upon in the shooting sports. 

Not only is it a good safety officers responsibility to keep the shooter and group safe, it’s also his responsibility to make fair and legal calls. Not subjective ones. And that goes for the range master as well. It’s not his job to blindly back his ROs or SOs, it’s to make the right call. 

bugs, back to the topic at hand- please don’t call wrongful DQs. Getting close isn’t a DQ. Getting on the 180 isn’t a DQ. Completely crossing the 180, without a shadow of a doubt, no “maybes” or “it was close but I have to call it.” That’s wrong. 

IDPA is still a thing?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On 3/16/2020 at 1:03 PM, MWP said:

That sounds like something an IDPA SO would do. 

To be clear for any shooters out there that plan to become safety officers and up, reaching the 180 with a muzzle is NOT a DQ.

This attitude, along with the classic subjective scoring in IDPA, is what makes it looked down upon in the shooting sports. 

Not only is it a good safety officers responsibility to keep the shooter and group safe, it’s also his responsibility to make fair and legal calls. Not subjective ones. And that goes for the range master as well. It’s not his job to blindly back his ROs or SOs, it’s to make the right call. 

bugs, back to the topic at hand- please don’t call wrongful DQs. Getting close isn’t a DQ. Getting on the 180 isn’t a DQ. Completely crossing the 180, without a shadow of a doubt, no “maybes” or “it was close but I have to call it.” That’s wrong. 

This.  

Ouch [emoji4]

(we need more shooters and shooting sports, not less)
No, we don't need more shooting sports or even divisions. We need people shooting revolvers in larger numbers, together.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk