Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S2 Magazine change methods?

igolfat8

Just curious how you change mags (Fast) on your S2. When you shoot to slide lock, slam a full mag in and then ... how do you drop the slide? When I did speed changes on my Glocks, the force of the full mag going in would release the slide but not so on the S2. I’m used to inserting the mag and then sliding my support hand into my grip position but now that I have to thumb the slide release, it doesn’t transition into a fast regrip. Just looking for some ideas to speed up my slide release procedure.

normally my slide will auto forward when I insert the mag with force. But, I have backup plan, my support hand thumb. When re-establishing my grip it is easy for my support hand thumb to hit the release as it goes into position, if the slide doesn't go forward. One should never trust or expect the slide to go forward on mag insertion, it's a bad habit, one I have lol

I’m in the same boat, coming from glocks although I could never get the slide to auto forward, but my strong hand thumb could easily reach the slide release (on my G34). 
I’ve got a Shadow 1 now that I’m trying to relearn in, will autoforward most of the time but when it doesn’t it really costs me time. As slavex said above, I need to not rely on the autoforward but get used to hitting with weak hand thumb. 
my buddies have Shadow 2’d and they autoforward when mag is slammed in as well. 

Pretty much any gun will do it, if you hold it at the right angle. It's a simple physics example really. The slide is held in place by the recoil spring, if when you insert a mag in with force, you move the frame up and forward in space, the slide will attempt to stay in the same spot, compressing the recoil spring, once the movement stops and/or the spring is compressed far enough the slide catch spring releases the catch, allowing the spring to send the slide forward at the end of the moment. Now, depending on how heavy your recoil spring is, the angle you're at, how much of a bump you give the gun, how the slide and slide catch interface is (rough, sharp angles engaging, smooth, rounded edges etc) will dictate the guns reaction. 

I'm not criticising, just asking a question as a lower level shooter...

Don't you count / plan rounds so you never slide lock? Its been my experience is that its faster to shed mags with rounds in them at a convenient reload / motion point than it is to shoot dry, reload and actuate the slide lock.

If you have a position with loads of targets, still seems faster to reload with one in the pipe than go dry and add an extra slide lock manipulation to your stage time?

3 minutes ago, sergeantbernie said:

I'm not criticising, just asking a question as a lower level shooter...

Don't you count / plan rounds so you never slide lock? Its been my experience is that its faster to shed mags with rounds in them at a convenient reload / motion point than it is to shoot dry, reload and actuate the slide lock.

If you have a position with loads of targets, still seems faster to reload with one in the pipe than go dry and add an extra slide lock manipulation to your stage time?

I do plan convenient reloads - but I also shoot a low cap division. It has happened that just one make-up shot has run me dry and forced me to reload with the slide back.

Edited by perttime

41 minutes ago, igolfat8 said:

IDPA rules also specify one must shoot to slide lock or do a captured reload. No mags are allowed on the ground with live ammo in them unless you pick it up before your next shot.

Since Shadow 2's are not IDPA legal, I think one can assume this is meant for USPSA discussion. 

I found out my shadow 2 slide will go forward upon insertion in the middle of a match once when I had shot to slidelock, and it was awesome. I've only been able to do that a few times, but I can't do it reliably enough where I use it in stage plans. Also I've found that if I want to force it home and it still doesn't, I slap the bottom of the mag again instead of using the slide lock, and I feel I lose time trying to get my grip situated. 

So now when I reload on slidelock I just use my right thumb and hit the slide stop while I'm getting my support hand grip situated. 

Also I'm C Class production so take what I say for what it's worth to you. 

@sergeantbernie if you’re unwilling to fire all 11 rounds in your gun, you cut down on stage planning options severely. (It’s not something you want to do often, but I usually find myself using the slide release at least once a match.)

Sometimes, being aggressive enough to take an extra steel or paper will open up options further in the stage, or delete a reload.

Other times you get the chance to do it twice in a row and delete an entire position. That might just make for a stage win... as seen here by my friend Garran at 2018 TN State:

(He’s an 18 year old who took 6th overall in 2019’s Production Nationals.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

8 hours ago, SwedishMoose said:

Since Shadow 2's are not IDPA legal, I think one can assume this is meant for USPSA discussion. . 

My a Shadow 2 is legal for CO class. I had the slide machined to make weight.