Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ipsc Production Gun

1911jerry

I am looking for a little advice from those who shoot glocks in production class in IPSC. Which Glock would you recommend for a beginner to start out with shooting production.

I was confused on my first post, sorry.

Thanks

JS

Edited by 1911jerry

Since your from California the 34 is the best choice, if you want to shoot on an international level the 34 won't fit in the box so the 17 is the choice there. Many use the 17/22 frame very effectively. I don't feel there is any competitive edge lost over the 34 but many like the longer sight picture

fyi there is no box rule in ipsc production division, only in standard and modified division, these are the pre-approved glock production guns in ipsc:

17, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 36, 37

(No "L" or "C" models are legal)

i would suggest the 17, that what dave s. uses :)

Edited by atmar

I picked up a Glock 17 for production shooting and really like it. I bought a factory rebuild and I highly recommend that route. It saves you a large chunk of money to buy ammo with. Check out Summit Gun Broker. Mark is a great guy to deal with. Currently the G17's are $365 with 3 mags. Best deal I've found and the guns look like new, with full Glock lifetime warranty. I liked mine so much, I went back and bought a rebuilt Glock 22 for a limited gun. One of these with an Uncle Mike's holster and mag holders (about $15 each) and you're ready to rock! :D

I would suggest the G22 or G21 with ammunition configured at around 135 PF. That 1 mm to +2 mm difference in diameter just might make the difference between and A or a C. ;)

From a configuration standpoint I would recommend the Dawson Precision sights and a Vanek Trigger job. Note: Vanek Triggers are not legal for IPSC/Non USPSA production division. (International/ Non-USPSA Minimum trigger pull is 2.27 kg (5lbs) for first shot) http://www.ipsc.org

Edited by ryucasta

You probably won't feel much difference between the two....but from personal experience, unless you have a problem with a slighty shorter sight picture, the 17 is the way to go. The pistol just presents better, is cheaper, and seems faster out of the holster. If you want to just comply with USPSA rules, you can put the extended mag release and extended slide stop (if you so desire) on the 17. This is a fairly new rule change to the production division (because you can order the pistol from the factory that way). I prefer the shorter pistol because I don't think the "give is worth the take" in regards to a longer pistol and a higher price.

Personal preference is the key here. I don't like the Vanek trigger at all, it feels like mush and is much too light for the length that you pull. Many people do like it, so it is something that you should try on your own.

Just my $0.02.

Edwin

I haven't gone through all the equipment rules yet, but can you change out the sights to Fiber optics or add a magwell of some sort. I will check them out , but maybe someone can chime in. Any other modifications that are worthwhile and legal?

Thanks

Jerry

You probably won't feel much difference between the two....but from personal experience, unless you have a problem with a slighty shorter sight picture, the 17 is the way to go.  The pistol just presents better, is cheaper, and seems faster out of the holster.  If you want to just comply with USPSA rules, you can put the extended mag release and extended slide stop (if you so desire) on the 17.  This is a fairly new rule change to the production division (because you can order the pistol from the factory that way).  I prefer the shorter pistol because I don't think the "give is worth the take" in regards to a longer pistol and a higher price. 

Personal preference is the key here.  I don't like the Vanek trigger at all, it feels like mush and is much too light for the length that you pull.  Many people do like it, so it is something that you should try on your own. 

Just my $0.02.

Edwin

Welcome to the board Jerry! In production no mag well is allowed, that pushes you into limited class. Yes you can change the sights. The most popular are probably the Dawson Precisions or a Dawson front and a fixed Heinie rear sight.

Besides the sight a nice trigger upgrade is a wise investment, check out this link: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25729

Besides sight and a trigger upgrade, buy lots of ammo. If you don't reload or if you do but find it more convenient to just buy 9mm, a 1000 rounds from Natchez is just a little over $100 to your door. 115 grain, Blazer ammo will get you on the right track.

I have two of the G34s so you can see where I am coming from, but nothing wrong with a G17. 9mm is the way to go for a production gun, if you want to shoot limited 10 then the 40 is the choice. For a starter the 9 is so much cheaper to shoot. Start there, you might end up there and be happy.

Rick

I would purchase a G35 rather than a 34. The 35 allows you to shoot Production, Limited 10 and Limited, IDPA SSP and ESP. The 35 can be downloaded to shoot just as softly or more so than the 34. Reloading cost goes up about $5 per thousand with the .40.

I think you will find that almost all production Glocks are set up about the same. Take a base gun, add new sights (Dawson set or Dawson FO with Hienie rear), and slick the trigger somehow. Thats about it. I would highly recommend the Sotelo Trigger kit that Clay gave the link for. 9mm or 40 is your choice. I chose 9 and wouldnt go any other way. I dont think the extra .045 diameter is nearly as big a deal as people make it, it might help out here and there, but in my opinion, not to the extent some people claim. The option of being able to buy suitable factory ammo in 9mm is the biggest point to me. I load for several guns and calibers and if I happen to feel lazy, it is a nice change not to have to load in order to shoot. If you go 40 and buy factory ammo, enjoy those extra 50 PF points, or, shoot Limited. Also, last I check the difference in jacketed bullets alone was about $20 per thousand.

The choice between 40 and 9 can be very simple. If you reload, consider the 40. I wouldn't buy it but you can at least consider it. The majority of the top USPSA Production shooters, with the exception of Dave Olhasso still shoot 9mm in Production. 9mm is easy to buy factory, cheap. With 40 cal. you either have to reload or shoot the much more powerful ammo with no benefit. Everything in Production is scored minor so I'd rather shoot the soft stuff.