Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 station 1 problem

I've had my 650XL for about 7 years now and have loaded many thousands of rounds with it.  9mm, 45, 300blk and 5.56.  Today I was loading some 9mm and noticed sometimes on station 1 when the case drops onto the removable silver plate (that I think is called the "station locator") and then that black plastic "case insert slide" thing comes from behind and pushes it into the shell plate, sometimes either the case doesn't go all the way in for some reason, or it goes in all the way, but backs out just a touch. Enough so that when I pull the handle down and it raises the platform up, the brass will hit the bottom of the resizing die, and not allow the case to go inside it. I know it's kind of hard to understand so I included some pictures of what's Happening. 

It doesn't happen all the time, it happens about once every 50 or so rounds, and it's super easy to notice and fix. I just take my right pointer finger and push the case in Just a bit and all is good. But it's getting annoying and I'm wondering if there's something I can do to stop it from happening. Does this happen to anyone else ever?

I've tried to watch carefully to actually see what is happening so I can fix the problem, but it happens so sporadic and seldom that I can never actually see it happen. 

FB_IMG_1578884950935.jpg

FB_IMG_1578884954523.jpg

Edited by Scratchthejeepguy

I've dealt with that in the past. It can be annoying.

Both the station 1 locator and the "case insert slide thing" will wear over time. 

I've replaced both over the years.

The wear on the case insert slide can be internal due to the interaction of the internal components, spring, spring retainer, etc.

I suggest calling Dillon and asking for replacements for both.

Ask for a new case insert slide spring as well.

My recollection is that they will replace the complete case insert slide assembly including the spring but it has been a while so .... ?

1 hour ago, muncie21 said:

I'm familiar with setting the height of the 'camming pin', however how does one verify the wear of the spring under the sled?

Take it out and check it. When mine acted up and I couldn't get it adjusted after a few attempts I took it out and it was broken into three pieces. Just change it out. You do have a spare parts kit correct?

I'm familiar with setting the height of the 'camming pin', however how does one verify the wear of the spring under the sled?

I dont know what the spring length or weight should be, so there is no direct test that I know of.

Process of elimination would be the next best option. If you have set the adjustment properly, ruled out binding with a dirty feed ramp, shell plate timing/indexing or out of spec brass there isn’t much left other than that spring.

You can also pull the spring, stretch it a bit and reinstall it. If things improve temporarily then it’s likely the spring. I would expect that to be a very temporary fix though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Sarge and L..temp for your comments/feedback. I made some adjustments to the camming pin and checked the 'sled' spring (looked fine, i.e. it was in one piece) so put it back together an will see what happens during the next reload session.

2 minutes ago, muncie21 said:

Thanks Sarge and L..temp for your comments/feedback. I made some adjustments to the camming pin and checked the 'sled' spring (looked fine, i.e. it was in one piece) so put it back together an will see what happens during the next reload session.

Also, if you adjust it and it still is out of whack see if the helicoil gizmo that the screw goes into to hold the adjustment tight is stripped out. I had that happen once as well. It basically would not hold under use and would let it slip out of adjustment as soon as you apply normal operating pressure.

Then, call Dillon when sitting at the machine and explain step by step. They are excellent at helping and getting parts out to you.

From the picture it is way off, so something is fouled up for sure.

Only other remote possibility is the case is actually getting pushed in all the way but gunk has built up on the end of the sled thingy and the case sticks to it and gets pulled back. I clean the face of mine with mineral spirits or similar every now and then to keep it gunk free.

13 hours ago, muncie21 said:

Dillon refers to it as the 'case insert spring' or part 13 in the pic below.

Dillon_650_Sled_Spring.thumb.jpg.19dc9bdd81fceb04c21925d4e4bc6b94.jpg

Ha! That picture makes the spring look very robust when it’s actually a very light weight spring.😂

• 2 weeks later...

Was reloading more yesterday and the shellplate started to act up even more.  I took a peek and found that the "Ring Indexer" had a crack in it.  A call to Dillon and it's on its way.  I also have a new "Case Insert Slide Spring" coming just to be safe.

Inked83903483_10220630443006266_3864720652225216512_o_LI.jpg

Edited by Scratchthejeepguy

• 2 weeks later...