Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Locator Button Tabs?

I have a 550, I've noticed that when removing or replacing the locator buttons they are kinda hard to get ahold of, sometimes slip out of my hand, etc. etc.

So when using a buddies 1050 I notice his locator buttons have nifty little blue rubber tabs on them that make it easy to grab and remove the locator buttons.

So today when ordering some stuff from Brian I asked him why I didn't get any tabs with my 550, he said he'd find out. Turns out that the tabs do not work on the 550 due to the design of the shell plates, the shell plates on the 650 and 1050 are different and allow for the tabs, apparently the 550s do not.

So I'm curious if anyone has come up with a way to use these tabs, or some other gizwidget that makes it easier to remove and replace the locator buttons.

I remember when they sold the tabs for the 550 and then they found they caused alingment problems during loading so they stopped making them for the 550.

I know that people have made thier own tabs to help removal by cutting tabs out of the think plastic lids of coffee can. I have never bothered to try and make my own but it sould like it would work?

Neal in AZ

Edited by Intel6

Well, I guess I have thinner fingers then most people, thought I find that hard to believe. I'm a big guy and I have no problems removing them. If I had to modify them for easier removal, i'd say try soldering a small nail/screw/wire/whatever to the head pointing away from the shellplate. Thought I'm still surprised that anyone has trouble with them.

Try cutting out a small piece from a plastic milk container. That's what I used on my 650. I cut it out in an oval shape and put the hole for the pin close to the edge so it wouldn't hit the shellplate.

Added cropped pic:

post-2880-1128250063_thumb.jpg

Edited by .40AET

Hi there,

I bought a used 550 a few years back and the guy who sold it to me had the blue tabs on the pins. I guess they "worked" since the only time I touched them was to pull a pin! I never noticed any alignment problems. I have large hands and they really help keep me from dropping the pins into the ozone. I now have a 650 and have used them there too but there was an interference issue with the one at the crimp station. It turned and got caught by the eject chute. Other than that, they just sit there like on the 550.

Later,

Chuck

ditto on the needle-nose pliers a very small pair for when I need it. Mostly I don't use it though. <_<

Just on a side note I have a very bright light shining on the left side of the 550 for seeing the powder charge at the bullet seating station and the table top under the 550 has that no slide material you use for drawers and RV tables on it. These two things combined have prevented any pins vanishing into another dimension (you know with all those socks) in a long time B)

Edited by cdfcapt

• 2 months later...

I don't have a 550, but I have the blue locator tabs on my 1050. The presses come with six tabs -- five are long, and one short. When I first bought the press, a tech at Dillon told me that the short tab was for station 5, where the shorter length was necessary to avoid interference with the toolhead spring. I tried both, and the longer tab did, in fact, interfere with the toolhead spring. I put the short tab in station 5.

Then, with a long tab in station 3, the handle caught on the locator tab, breaking the tab and launching it all the way across the room. I decided that both stations 3 and 5 need the short locator tabs.

Heck, why not simplify life? NONE of the stations needs the long tab in order to remove the locator button to clear a problem. So, I now use short locator tabs on ALL stations on the 1050 (well, the six stations that have locator buttons). One less thing to mix up when changing calibers, especially for those new to the 1050.

Certainly doesen't look as nice nor as compact but have taken some stiff shim stock cut to width and length and just glued ea. on top of the buttons with Barge Cement then color coded ea. with one of the various paint pens. Station 4 doesn't really need one, IME?

Wow! I've never known to put the short tab at station 5, on the 1050. Long tab there has never tangled with the spring. The short tab is usually at #3, but a long tab works fine there. I've never found a need for the short tabs... :)

• 4 weeks later...
Try cutting out a small piece from a plastic milk container. That's what I used on my 650. I cut it out in an oval shape and put the hole for the pin close to the edge so it wouldn't hit the shellplate.

I have found this to work very well, too

dj