Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P09: Any gain switching to Manual Safety?

balmo

I just got my P09 and am very excited. Is there any advantage trigger wise switching to the Manual Safety from a Decocker on a P09? Is there a slight decrease in SA pull weight when switching to Manual? 

Be aware that if it's for Production or CO, the decocker lever will drop the hammer to the half cock or safety hooks, not completely down.  You may get called out on that, technically it's illegal.  If so you have to thumb it down anyway.  If for limited or other games that start SA,  the safety lever needs a little build up work for easier access and a little off the detent spring to ease effort slightly.

10 hours ago, GMP said:

Be aware that if it's for Production or CO, the decocker lever will drop the hammer to the half cock or safety hooks, not completely down.  You may get called out on that, technically it's illegal. 

No, it isn't illegal. 

It's 100% perfectly legal to use the de-cocker to lower the hammer.

11 hours ago, GMP said:

Be aware that if it's for Production or CO, the decocker lever will drop the hammer to the half cock or safety hooks, not completely down.  You may get called out on that, technically it's illegal.

It’s required to go to hammer FULLY down if you’re doing it manually. If the gun mechanically arrives at this position via a decocking lever, that is permissible.

Source: Appendix D4 (Production Rules)

FE490C34-78EF-47FD-A8E9-F3D4C09942E3.thumb.jpeg.bcef0aca0d044aa7c8649cb27ad1aa5e.jpeg

Edited by MemphisMechanic

OK then I stand corrected.

That said the logic allowing start from half cock with a decocker(because it functions that way) and not by manual operation  is inconsistent, no?   With a CZ at least, its actually safer because the trigger is not held after the break to allow half cock position,  where full down requires pinning it during lowering.

While it’s a quirk in the rules to make space for guns which can only be decocked mechanically, anyone who Practices much will quickly realize there’s no actual benefit to such a gun over one without a decocker. ;) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 3 weeks later...

To the OP the only reason I've changed from decocker to manual safety for competition is because I now want both my P09 and Sp-01 to operate the same with regard to that feature.