Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading in colder temps

Practicalomaha

I will start to reload this January and the best place for my bench is the garage. But I live in the Midwest and during the winter my garage will see 30 degree temps. I am assuming these temps are not ideal for reloading. But just wanted to get your thoughts. If I must I can move things around in my basement but I just won’t have as much room. Thanks

I move the essentials for reloading into the basement, taking up as little

space as possible.   

And, leave all the non-essential supplies (bullets, powder, primers, cases, tumbler, etc)

into the garage.   

I just take few hundred of each and move them into the basement, as needed.

Doesn't take up too much space in the basement that way - and lots warmer.

When I lived NORTH, I also tried to do as much reloading as possible in the

other three seasons - and you probably don't shoot as much in the winter anyway.    :) 

You could prep all your primer tubes inside the house where its warmer.  If you have not prep/sorted your brass you can also do that inside the house.  Basically separating processes so your stay in the basement is cut shorter. 

22 minutes ago, 4n2t0 said:

Save yourself some grief and reload in the basement. 

I agree completely! That's what I did. BUT: It can be done in the garage with a little work. Unless you already have insulated garage doors you can buy insulation panels to install on the inside of doors. Then insulate and drywall any unfinished exterior walls. I insulated and finished my walls and have insulated doors and a small electric heater will keep it 60 degrees out the all winter long unless we get some single digit weather for a short stretch. But that's why I have another heater on standby. I even have a sink in the garage and keep all my paint etc out there.

2 hours ago, 4n2t0 said:

Save yourself some grief and reload in the basement. 

This.

I started reloading in a friend's attic, and it was miserable in summer and winter. (This was before either of us knew about powder deterioration in high storage temps.)

My friend still has the equipment but doesn't reload at all any more because it was so miserable, and of course I moved my own gear to a more comfortable environment many years ago. Reloading should be enjoyable so you can relax and focus on the important details of loading, rather than just trying to endure the environment and get it done as a chore.

I recommend moving your equipment inside, or wait till nicer weather. Your equipment and powder will last a lot longer stored indoors anyway, and you'll enjoy the loading process a lot more even if you have a little less room. 

Edited by Yondering