Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gmr-15 factory ammo concerns

Long time lurker needing some advice. 

I have a sig mpx that I have been shooting for the past year. I have mostly been shooting federal syntech pcc ammo through it with great results. 

I recently ordered a jp gmr-15 and while waiting for delivery i was doing as much research as I could and was pouring over the posts here when I started to read about the woes of cleaning the compensator. 

Most of what I read stated that cleaning and keeping the comp on the gmr-15 (along with other conps and guns) is a pain with coated and plated  bullets and that you should instead use jacketed bullets.

Is my understanding correct? Do jacketed bullets (with enclosed bases) slow or stop the buildup of lead and carbon meaning you can clean less? 

Would shooting the syntech pcc ammo just lead to comp problems?

If I should switch, what factory ammo should I look at? 

I saw multiple mentions of people spraying Dillon's case lube on their comp every 100 rounds to keep it clean and clear. Is the buildup really that bad? 

I'm probably way overthinking this, but I fell down the rabbit hope and am looking for any help I can get. 

You’re overthinking it. It’s not bad.
I ran about 30,000 rounds of blue bullets through my JP and really didn’t have to clean it that often.
I clean my guns after every match. My thought process is that it’s something within my control. I can identify broken parts. And possibly prevent a malfunction because of a dirty gun or chamber etc.
but every time I’d just look at the comp and see if it’s got build up. If it’s bad then just break it off. Just add it into your maintenance plan.
I’m running all Plated now and it’s much much less build up. But those were blue bullets. So I can’t speak for the syntech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a case of 1000 115 gr Blazer TMJs and the box clearly stated "Don't shoot these in compensated or ported barrels".  I called CCI to ask why and they told me these are really plated, not true jacketed bullets and the plating could flake off when passing through the comp or ports.  I guess they were concerned the fragments could spit out of the ports and possibly injure the shooter or a bystander.  I don't think coated bullets have the same hazard but frequent cleaning is a good idea.  

I removed the comp from my GMR-15 to avoid the issue and because I never noticed any benefit from it.

I think you really shouldn’t worry about it, I’ve shot a bunch of the Syntech poly coated stuff through various PCC’s and it’s never been an issue. If the comp looks a mess, cleaning it only adds a few minutes.

For me, what kind of IS an issue with the JP’s is paying top dollar for a handguard/stock/grip most of us are going ditch as soon as possible, just to get the rest of the rifle; their proprietary handguards and available furniture choices are weak and one would have thought they’d have addressed that by now...

JP’s rifle builder should have options when you get to handguard/stock/grip where we can select “nope/nope/nope”... their rifles are awesome, but a lot of thier original equipment options are behind the times and kinda lame IMHO...

Not trying to sound snotty, but I’m a guy about to click “buy” on a new dual-charge JP, and have a hard time getting my head around paying around $2500 for a gun that’ll immediately need a new handguard at minimum, and probably a grip and stock as well, and maybe a trigger swap to a Hiperfire if the stocker has light-strike issues like a lot of them do...

Edited by ck1

Thanks for the info everyone! 

This is my first gun with a real comp on it so when I started reading about the woes of cleaning I got paranoid. 

I have no problem using a pick to scrape carbon and lead when I clean but a lot of posts talked about having to soak in cleaner for days or using ultra Sonic cleaners just to loosen the stuff up. Which got me curious. 

I'll stock with the same stuff I've been shooting and keep an eye on it. 

1 hour ago, ck1 said:

I think you really shouldn’t worry about it, I’ve shot a bunch of the Syntech poly coated stuff through various PCC’s and it’s never been an issue. If the comp looks a mess, cleaning it only adds a few minutes.

For me, what kind of IS an issue with the JP’s is paying top dollar for a handguard/stock/grip most of us are going ditch as soon as possible, just to get the rest of the rifle; their proprietary handguards and available furniture choices are weak and one would have thought they’d have addressed that by now...

JP’s rifle builder should have options when you get to handguard/stock/grip where we can select “nope/nope/nope”... their rifles are awesome, but a lot of thier original equipment options are behind the times and kinda lame IMHO...

Not trying to sound snotty, but I’m a guy about to click “buy” on a new dual-charge JP, and have a hard time getting my head around paying around $2500 for a gun that’ll immediately need a new handguard at minimum, and probably a grip and stock as well, and maybe a trigger swap to a Hiperfire if the stocker has light-strike issues like a lot of them do...

With the MBX Pro Series.....you get all the goodies from the get go.....for less than a JP :)  Going on a solid year with zero malfunctions. :) 

I have been running a no gmr15 for a year or so. I replaced the original heavy barrel for the lightweight competition barrel and it made a gigantic difference in the handling of a gun. Hotshot centech through it from the get-go and never had one problem. I have shot other low velocity rounds through it with the same result, no problem. The JP has turned me away from my nice open pistols. The JP is a blast to shoot.

9 hours ago, bigstick0000 said:

I have been running a no gmr15 for a year or so. I replaced the original heavy barrel for the lightweight competition barrel and it made a gigantic difference in the handling of a gun. Hotshot centech through it from the get-go and never had one problem. I have shot other low velocity rounds through it with the same result, no problem. The JP has turned me away from my nice open pistols. The JP is a blast to shoot.

When you say "lightweight competition barrel", are you referring to the 9mm Ultralight Shrouded Barrel? 

JP 9mm barrels:

JPSM9-5.5UL10    9mm Ultralight Shrouded Barrel 5.5" length (16" OAL) 1:10 twist    $399.00 (15.5 oz)
JPSM9-10.5L10    10.5" length ● 1:10 twist ● light contour    $199.00                                            (16.6 oz)
JPSM9-14.5L10    14.5" length ● 1:10 twist ● light contour    $199.00                                            (22.4 oz)
JPSM9-16L10    16" length ● 1:10 twist ● light contour    $199.00                                                   (24.7 oz)