Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Very First Long Gun Match Report

So, George taught me how to shoot long guns on Sat morning and yesterday was my first match! I shot TAC division. I had only dozen shots or so experience before...Wooohooo!! I had a fun! And apparently entertained squad mates quite well. (More later.) Since I can not do grappling anymore, I enjoyed the combat sports aspect of it. Compare to long guns, hand guns are for sissies :D

First of all, hats off for people competing in long guns. Last night, I slept 10 hours while dreaming myself sleeping dreaming "Oh, I wanna sleep more." :D My body is so sore...my back feels like plywood. My neck hurts, my cheek hurts, my arm hurts, my fingers hurts, I mean basically, MY RIKA HURTS! Hehe.

What I learned is basically its same as handgun when it comes to rifle. Geoff (George) let me use really nice AR. I was so happy calling the shots on 100 yards prone, watching the previous target moves at the side to the crosshair. On the one stage, I got AR jammed but somehow cleared it by tap and rack and got compliment and I was like "oh yeah, you are right. I did it didn't I?"

I totally fall in love with rifle. And, red dot are so cheating! I even scored 43% on Rifle El Prez thanks to Red Dot.

Not so fun:

On very first stage/shot, I was like "huh.. something wrong abot this... oh yeah! No ears!" What a retard.

On another stage, the Benneli ate my thumb! Ouch ouch ouch... my eyes were tearing up... I heard this is called "Benneli thumb" aka Chinese finger torture or something. It really crossed my mind I want to stop shooting there.... Its still has blister :(

And, funny that... my sights were dead on target INSIDE the window and why I am making HUGE holes on the windowsill?? I watched the video afterwards and my squads mates were chuckling....;) Nice RO (Chris) almost reached hand when I was "ouch ouch" and equally nice Mark who was videotaping zoomed up on the hole. Too bad I can't upload the video ;)

Overall, that was so fun!!! Its nice to just have fun without trying to get better. Thanks all of you waintg for me in the morning (I got sunscreen got in my eyes with contacts on... needed to wash sunscreen and contacts and reapply) and your patience on me.

The pic:

"Me, A Cat and Two Smoking Barrels" and "stage 3"

post-5171-1127755568_thumb.jpg

post-5171-1127755605_thumb.jpg

Edited by George

Ok, I have to ask...what the heck was that guy looking at? I always thought that RO's were supposed to watch the shooter. I know it's not polite for me to stare at a cute girl when she bends over but I'm pretty sure it's ok for him to do it. There's even a rule and everything.

Ok, I have to ask...what the heck was that guy looking at?  I always thought that RO's were supposed to watch the shooter.  I know it's not polite for me to stare at a cute girl when she bends over but I'm pretty sure it's ok for him to do it.  There's even a rule and everything.

John,

I wanted to ask the same question but couldn't come up with the correct wording :D

Dave

Ok, I have to ask...what the heck was that guy looking at?  I always thought that RO's were supposed to watch the shooter.  I know it's not polite for me to stare at a cute girl when she bends over but I'm pretty sure it's ok for him to do it.  There's even a rule and everything.

John,

I wanted to ask the same question but couldn't come up with the correct wording :D

Dave

LOL ditto that dave....

Yo Rik! Great report and you added some photos to boot! I think that the photos really help visualize the match you shot by showing the stage designs (looks like good stages, BTW).

AND - that T-shirt is just too cool! Glad I am not the only one to dress the part; I wore a shirt last year to Thurmont 3gun that said "I (heart) MY AK-47" (w/ picture of Kalasnikov). :P

Glad that you had a good time. See you at the nationals in a year or two (if I ever make it out there).

Regards,

C.

I know the RO shown in the image and he is a very safe minded person. Still photos never do the actual situation justice. I cannot say how long he was looking to his right, but I will bet it wasn't for much more than a quick glance at something. I know the only time I ever glance away from the shooter is when movement in my vision range and really loud noises make me take a quick glance to make sure I don't need to deal with something unexpected suddenly.

--

Regards,

Edited by George

Oh, I feel bad. :(

The RO is actually one of my first mentor. As George said, it was just a really bad timing.

The T-shirts rocks, doesn' it? I finally get to wear it (I was waitng for right weather/timing). My friend bought it for me from friends at AR-15.com.

"We bos made in Japan and we bos robu rihuruz!"

And Carlos, stages are all well designed, build, cleaned (with helps) and stage design printed, score published all by George!

I know the RO shown in the image and he is a very safe minded person. Still photos never do the actual situation justice. I cannot say how long he was looking to his right, but I will bet it wasn't for much more than a quick glance at something. I know the only time I ever glance away from the shooter is when movement in my vision range and really loud noises make me take a quick glance to make sure I don't need to deal with something unexpected suddenly.

--

Regards,

Was Mark on the clock or the clipboard? He may have been looking at the actual RO, I don't see him holding the clock.

Was Mark on the clock or the clipboard?

Mark was definitely the RO for the first half of the squad, but it is possible that he was "in the hole" at this point and that the actual RO was just out of frame. Not really sure as I had just finished shooting and was away from the bay for a moment.

--

Regards,

Hmm, I don't remember if he was RO or not. Its totally possible he was in the hole all geared up!

Was Mark on the clock or the clipboard?

Mark was definitely the RO for the first half of the squad, but it is possible that he was "in the hole" at this point and that the actual RO was just out of frame. Not really sure as I had just finished shooting and was away from the bay for a moment.

--

Regards,

Rika, where did you get the shirt?  I'd love to get one for my daughter.

I wanted to ask the same for the same reason.

I'm proud of you Rika, you did very well. I should let you try my rifle (18" ultra light barrel), I think its the perfect setup for you. I told you your shirt was COOL!

Norbert

I was surprised I scored 43% of Geoff at Rifle El Prez. So, I needed ask him if other people were using iron sigths. Thanks all for compliment. :wub:

My friend is AR15.com member and one of the guy there decided to make bunches of that shirts long time ago. Looks like one time thing but I will ask if he has any left.

Original one has K-Kitty in front. The shirt was too big for me so I cut it up and saw back together and moved her to the back.

Thanks Norb!

I wanted to ask the same for the same reason. 

I'm proud of you Rika, you did very well.  I should let you try my rifle (18" ultra light barrel), I think its the perfect setup for you.  I told you your shirt was COOL!

Norbert

Rika,

Iron sights are very fast and accurate at CQ distances and someone good with them can kick some serious butt on the close stuff.

You got 43% on that stage because YOU earned it, not because of gear choices :-)

--

Regards,

Well, looking at the shadow, it appears to me that he was the ro and was holding a timer in his left hand but it really doesn't matter. I wouldn't begin to second guess an RO based on a still picture like that. Someone could have been getting too close to the 180 or any one of a thousand other things. The RO is supposed to watch the shooter but he's also supposed to be aware of his surroundings and that demands the occasional look around. I only said what I did as a joke and I thought it was obvious enough that everyone would get it and understand that no real condemnation of the RO was implied. Hope I didn't upset anyone.

John

+1 on no worries John, we try our hardest to run a safe range at Richmond and pride ourselves on that point above everything else.

As Butch mentioned, Mark would be off his rocker not to be watching Rika intently as compared to the average competitors backside ;-)

Thanks,

Oh, John. I know its joke. I noticed same thing when picture came out too. I just didn't want to tarnish his reputation.

Oh you know what? Did I say I ate 3 servings of garlic fries night before? Maybe he was choking and needed air??????? :D

But then, he deserve bit of teasing... ;) he was videotapying me on another stage where I made bunchs of holes on the prop... he zoomed in on it after I finished!!

----------------

My buddy got back to me really quick on Tshirt. It turned out, he is JUST taking orders.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=91&t=297939

Dealine is October 16th.

I know this is total copyright problem but as a Japanese where HelloKitty came, I say go for it!

Hope I didn't upset anyone. 

John

Edited by Rikarin