Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Very First Long Gun Match Report

Rika,

Congratualtions on entering the world of Three-Gunning! Congratulations also to George for some excellent mentoring! My TANS efforts have not been so successful. Be warned - more fun ahead!

Oh, and cool t-shirt too.

Now the source of that back pain... There are things to help with toting, running the course, and recoil.

First off, the Benelli kicks harder than some other options for shotgun, just because that is how the Benelli works. Gas ops with stocks that fit you can reduce the battering a bunch, and make the gun easier to drive around the course. And a sore face is usually evidence that you lifted your head off the stock and it got a running start at you!

AR15's don't have to kick - there are many brakes that work great, but you have to learn to deal with blast. Shorter stock/thinner barrel combinations can make the gun easier to drive through the course.

If toting the whole set of gear is the problem, you are only limited by your imagination.

Last is we can all go for better physical strength and capability. And you know what happens when you do that, don't you. Less tired instances and more opportunities to drive yourself into the zone and have the wonderful things happen that Brian had taught us about.

So many opportunities! Life is good.

Billski

Rika,

First, understand that I am a recoil wimp. I used to shoot High Power (in the 1980's) with the M-1 rifle, and I was never so happy as to find out that the AR15 had taken over in that game.

Second, I worked for Remington in the 1980's, and the last time that I fired a shotgun was a field test in 1983 or 1984. Don't like'em - they kick!

So, the first suggestion is that there are soft pads available to place over the cheek piece to soften the impact on the cheek.

The second one is to be supple and relaxed. When I got a look at three-gun, and fired a match using my pistol on the shotgun stages, and watched the rifle shooters, I thought, well maybeeeee. Then I stumbled across http://www.quickshoot.com. They teach you to be supple, which is what Brian is also teaching us (bent elbows and no more tension in your whole body than you need to maintain your grip, etc.). Well, I read what they had and decided to be supple and wow, my 3G shutgun doesn't hurt me. This stuff Brian is teaching really works! Even if it takes other people to teach us that!

Billski

Hahahahaha! oooh, sh*t, I forget about the fun of shootingman!

Hey, DVDTracker. Didn't know yu are here! Yeah, I was surprised I remembered how to ride motorcycle. It just came back to me once I hopped on. It was so crazy shooting my Sig amongst big long guns there.

:)