Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm upper for 2011

Benevolence

Hi all,

I built a 2011 in 40sw for limited uspsa and was wanting to make a 9mm upper I could use for major open and some cheaper plinking (with reduced recoil spring). 

I was looking for a 6” slide and 6”+threading barrel that I could use; can’t find the latter. Also not sure if I could do any of those funky barrels that have a rib in the front sight area. Planning to put a Cmore mounted off the frame (90 or regular?)

I am looking for part suggestions for slide, barrel, compensator, and slide/barrel/comp profiles to match somewhat decently. Is a 6” slide a bad idea? Interested in porting if it would help in addition to a compensator but it may take me out of some 3 gun divisions so not sure.

Thanks!

I can't help you with what is legal for 3-gun.  For USPSA ans SCSA I can.

A 6" slide is a bad idea for an Open gun because it weighs so much.  Use a 5" slide.

In 9mm major you have a choice.  You can get the gun to run soft, or flat, but not both unless you are willing to live with a lot of spilled powder on the press when the shell plate indexes. Comps make the gun shoot softer as long as there is enough gas to 'work' it.  Poppels make the gun shoot flatter, rob gas from the comp and hit your hand harder.  You can add more powder to compensate up to a point.

My guns work the best with a 3-chamber/pot comp and two 3/16" poppels.  I run a 115 JHP at 168PF.

Hello: I know guys who shoot 6" open pistols but they feel slow and heavy. They mount the red dot on the slide and port the barrel with no comp on the end. I would build a 5.4" barreled open pistol with a well designed comp. I don't like holes in the barrel and lighten the slide. Thanks, Eric

2 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I know guys who shoot 6" open pistols but they feel slow and heavy. They mount the red dot on the slide and port the barrel with no comp on the end. I would build a 5.4" barreled open pistol with a well designed comp. I don't like holes in the barrel and lighten the slide. Thanks, Eric

Very good advice.👍

12 hours ago, Benevolence said:

Hi all,

I built a 2011 in 40sw for limited uspsa and was wanting to make a 9mm upper I could use for major open and some cheaper plinking (with reduced recoil spring). 

I was looking for a 6” slide and 6”+threading barrel that I could use; can’t find the latter. Also not sure if I could do any of those funky barrels that have a rib in the front sight area. Planning to put a Cmore mounted off the frame (90 or regular?)

I am looking for part suggestions for slide, barrel, compensator, and slide/barrel/comp profiles to match somewhat decently. Is a 6” slide a bad idea? Interested in porting if it would help in addition to a compensator but it may take me out of some 3 gun divisions so not sure.

Thanks!

Try Limited 10 ( https://www.l10-machine.com/ ) and see if Eric will make you a custom barrel to your specs.  He uses barrel blanks from Chuck Warner.  Hope this helps.