Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Shooter

sandankenpo

same here. my red dot tracks up and right from the torque.

what things should i check and do to get the dot to track up and down. i can't find any specific answers to my questions using the search function.

currently iam using a 5 in. barrel in .38 super w/ a 3 chamber comp and 4 side ports.

i'm using 124 gr fmj w/ 8.0gr 3n37

i'm still waiting for the egw conversion cone so i can mount my bedell titanium comp.

tyvm to everyone!

Sounds like we might have two questions here.

As far as keeping the dot centered, I think if you just let your mind and body take care of that for you the dot will be close to center. In principle, you don't have to keep the dot in the exact center of the scope to make a shot. That's the beauty of a dot sight. However, if using a C-More for long shots, it's important to place the dot in the center since C-More does have some parralax error.

As for getting the dot to track straight up and down. That's not that big a deal either. The important thing is for the dot to return to the place it was just before you broke the shot. It can do figure 8 patterns for that matter ... as long as it returns to the same place. Do you see this sort of thing happening?

Edited by 10ring

Grip and stance changes can chage how the dot moves, as do load changes, recoil spring changes and well, changing most anything. But, the key is seeing the dot automatically return to where it left from. If you can get that, you're good to go. Matt Burkett's timing drills are a good place to start.

thank you for the tips guys! eric nielsen replied in another thread about lowering the right edge of the comp to decrease the dot torquing to the right.

i'll try to experiment with different grip pressures and stances first and see if the oscillation decreases and the dot lift becomes more straight up and down.

I am new to shooting open, how hard is it to keep the dot centered in the scope while shooting

It's very easy to keep the dot in the lens. It's much harder to get it there in the first place, drawing from the holster or otherwise presenting it to the target, especially strong hand or weak hand only. The techniques needed to see the dot when presenting the gun will help keep the dot visible while shooting.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

You didn't mention if you have vents in the barrel. That will make a difference. The more holes you have the more gas you need. You may need to try 3n38 as well as N105. Both of these powders are slower than the 3n37 and produce more gas for the comp. The additional gas may tame your recoil.

Once you get one that feels good, then it's time to tune the balance. At about 10 yards aim carefully at the a zone center and then do a double tap. Measure the difference between the two shots. If they spread out beyond the a zone, try a heavier spring and repeat the exercise changing the spring weight until you get one that feels good to you and the 2 shot groups don't spread out too much.

That should give you some confidence.

• 2 weeks later...
Burkett timing drills/group drills. That and understanding the difference between a perfect sight picture and an acceptable one.

Rich

Where can I find Matt's timming drills. I can't seem to find it on his website anymore. I have a new open gun I want to put thru the paces.

Contact Matt B., buy his book or DVD's. I got from taking a class with him when I was starting out. Some of the best money spent yet.

As for the cleaning the lens, a little windex and tissue paper. Then a lens pen (Leupold) to get the fuzzies and anything left gone. Bling, bling!

Rich

uscbigdawg

I sent Matt an email asking for the timing drills but no answer. I most likely caught him out of town and the email mgot lost in cyberspace. I do have most all his videos except this one. His DVD's are awesome.

They use to be on his site but my timing is wrong cause they ain't there anymore hence the need. I even printed them out but can't find those either, lol.