Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 vs. SP-01 Shadow Custom

Stafford

How close are these two in shootability, accuracy, trigger, etc....

From what I can tell, the Shadow 2 is good for USPSA Production but not legal for IDPA.

But, the SP-01 Shadow Custom can be used for USPSA Production and IDPA in ESP?? Correct?

I assume that when you say Shadow Custom, you are referring to a SP01-Shadow that has been reworked by CZ Custom. 

Those would not necessarily be an effective comparison.

Comparing a Shadow 2 and a SP01 Shadow would be a more direct starting place. There have been many comparisons done, a quick youtube search will give you plenty of information. 

But as it relates to your question directly. The Shadow 2 weighs 46.5 oz. and disqualifies it from use in IDPA. The SP01 Shadow weighs in at 41.0 oz. 

For IDPA the maximum gun weight with empty mag is 43.0 oz. but there is a provisional class for carry optics that has a maximum weight of 45.0 oz. for the gun with empty mag and the mounted optic. 

Both guns are USPSA Production class approved, However if you are planning to use it in carry optics there are unique rules for adapting the gun to fit if it doesn't come with a OEM optic mount. There is also a 45.0 oz. weight limit for carry optics in USPSA (same as in IDPA).

In IDPA externaly modified guns are classed as ESP, of "enhanced service pistol", many internal mods can be done and the gun can stay SSP legal, refer to the rule book.

Yes, I was referring to a SP-01 Shadow that has been reworked by CZ Custom in comparison to a Shadow 2. It seems from what I’ve already seen on YouTube that the trigger weights are similar. But that’s just one aspect. Do they feel similar, shoot with similar accuracy, etc... And from what I’ve read the the SP-01 Shadow Custom is IDPA legal.

I shot a Shadow 2 last weekend and was impressed. But, I shoot IDPA and USPSA and would like to have one pistol that would work for both.

9 hours ago, Stafford said:

Yes, I was referring to a SP-01 Shadow that has been reworked by CZ Custom in comparison to a Shadow 2. It seems from what I’ve already seen on YouTube that the trigger weights are similar. But that’s just one aspect. Do they feel similar, shoot with similar accuracy, etc... And from what I’ve read the the SP-01 Shadow Custom is IDPA legal.

I shot a Shadow 2 last weekend and was impressed. But, I shoot IDPA and USPSA and would like to have one pistol that would work for both.

I think you’ve made your choice then! 
I shoot with a lot of CZ guys and like you we all wanted a gun that worked in both. 

The Shadow 2 is probably a bit nicer but won’t work in both, plain and simple. 

Completely different grip & feel. The SP01 variants fit me well, the shadow 2's do not, your milage may vary :) .

Both are very accurate guns. With a call to CGW, triggers on both can be brought up to the exact same level, I ended up doing all the things to my S2 that I had done to my SP01 but I'm a trigger snob and many are happy pretty much out of the box. 

3 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Completely different grip & feel. The SP01 variants fit me well, the shadow 2's do not, your milage may vary :) .

Both are very accurate guns. With a call to CGW, triggers on both can be brought up to the exact same level, I ended up doing all the things to my S2 that I had done to my SP01 but I'm a trigger snob and many are happy pretty much out of the box. 

I don't find the grip ergonomics that different, but it does take me a little time to adjust to the different timing of the gun cycling.

I currently shoot a CZC 75 Shadow after about 10k rounds through a CZC Shadow 2. These represent the two extremes of CZ weights in the game and I found I prefer the balance of the lighter ones. Another shooter at our club also has a preference for his SP-01 Shadow over the Shadow 2.  In my specific experience, the Shadow 2's DA trigger is smoother, but I think that might be down to variations between individual guns more than a design difference.

I don't think one model really has an advantage over another. If I were shooting both games I'd definitely get the lighter one.

On 10/28/2019 at 2:56 PM, Malarky112 said:

Let us know what your findings are!  Wouldn't it just be easier for us all if IDPA just allowed the Shadow 2 already?!  :)

Yes, but I guess it's too heavy to be considered for IDPA. In looking at what I've shot this year, it's pretty clear that I've shot more USPSA than IDPA. I've shot three IDPA club matches  since March and will shoot a total of 4 for the year. I've shot six USPSA club matches since July and will probably shoot 9 for the year. Locally, I have the opportunity to shoot 11 IDPA club matches in a year, and 36 USPSA club matches in a year. 

Next year, I will likely shoot a max of 6 IDPA matches and somewhere between 15 and 20 USPSA matches. From that standpoint, the Shadow 2 for USPSA makes more sense. I can shoot defensive pistols, such as my Glock 17 or M&P9 in IDPA.

On 10/28/2019 at 1:35 PM, Stafford said:

Looked online and found a local gun store that has both a Shadow 2 and a SP-01 Shadow Targer II in stock. That should give me a good comparison on feel and dry fire.

I have a matching pair of Shadow 2s for USPSA and a Target II for IDPA, all from CZ Custom. Grips, sights, and triggers are all as close as possible to identical. I can feel the difference in weight, which in turn, makes the guns balance differently. However, at my level (mid-C Class USPSA) it’s insignificant. I really enjoy shooting all of them, but practically speaking, I’d have been best off with a pair of Target IIs for my purposes. 

1 minute ago, hey.moe said:

I have a matching pair of Shadow 2s for USPSA and a Target II for IDPA, all from CZ Custom. Grips, sights, and triggers are all as close as possible to identical. I can feel the difference in weight, which in turn, makes the guns balance differently. However, at my level (mid-C Class USPSA) it’s insignificant. I really enjoy shooting all of them, but practically speaking, I’d have been best off with a pair of Target IIs for my purposes. 

Do you shot the Target II in SSP or ESP. Is it allowed in both?

6 hours ago, Stafford said:

Do you shot the Target II in SSP or ESP. Is it allowed in both?

I’m used to starting hammer down so I shoot in SSP, but it’s legal in ESP as well - cocked & locked or hammer down, your choice. 

7 minutes ago, hey.moe said:

I’m used to starting hammer down so I shoot in SSP, but it’s legal in ESP as well - cocked & locked or hammer down, your choice. 

Good to know as I was having trouble finding that out. Does it fit in the box with the 18 round mags? Or do you have to run something shorter?

Mine came with three 18-round CZ mags & I’ve been told the gun is legal by folks I trust, so I assume it is. However, I’ve not personally checked that it fits in the IDPA box. 

I’m planning to shoot an IDPA match this weekend. I’ll try to remember to test it in the box there. 

3 minutes ago, hey.moe said:

Mine came with three 18-round CZ mags & I’ve been told the gun is legal by folks I trust, so I assume it is. However, I’ve not personally checked that it fits in the IDPA box. 

I’m planning to shoot an IDPA match this weekend. I’ll try to remember to test it in the box there. 

Yes.  It fits...