Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dan Wesson DWX: The Mother Thread

Mdooz

18 hours ago, pcar157 said:

My only issue with Primary Machine when milling for a red dot they insist on refinishing the entire slide.  Concerned with the slide finish matching the frame.

Scott at Impact Machine will refinish just the cut area or if the buyer wishes he will also do the entire slide. For stainless I believe he gives the option of no finish at all if the buyer so choses.

The graphite black cerakote matched the frame perfectly.  Primary wants everything to be perfect and coating the whole slide is the best way to do this.  They want the actual optic along with the slide so they can make sure it fits perfectly - if you take out the screws, the optic stays put.  Better pics forthcoming.  ignore the oil and dust.DWX1.thumb.jpg.38cab05317664003a912d4e98a861502.jpg

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, philmadxx said:

The graphite black cerakote matched the frame perfectly.  Primary wants everything to be perfect and coating the whole slide is the best way to do this.  They want the actual optic along with the slide so they can make sure it fits perfectly - if you take out the screws, the optic stays put.  Better pics forthcoming.  ignore the oil and dust.DWX1.thumb.jpg.38cab05317664003a912d4e98a861502.jpg

No offense man (your gun looks great) but theres no way I’m cerakoting the entire slide of anything but maybe a Glock no one cares about. I’m interested to see what yours looks like after a year or so with 5-10,000 draws from a holster. I also don’t understand how you think cerakoting the slide is the only way to make it match perfectly… it matched perfectly from the factory. 😳 

SBGW did my milling, didn’t cerakote anything, turn around was 3 weeks, I didn’t have to send them my SRO and it also stayed in place while held upside down with no screws. It was also only $135 bucks.

25D93041-1AA4-4E20-9613-787017F6C0CB.jpeg

Edited by ColoradoNick

9 hours ago, philmadxx said:

OEM is not cerecote. It's DLC. If they wanted it "perfect," they'd DLC the slide.

To each his own.  I know SS doesn't rust, I wanted the whole slide cerakoted and yes I know that is not the factory finish.  I also added the red DWX color infill, wasn't sure that would turn out good but I really like it.  This gun will not be a safe queen, it will show wear no matter what coating it has - doesn't bother me.  If it does, I'll just have it recoated - haven't done that on any other guns that show wear.   What would bother me is knowing part of the slide doesn't match - even though I can't see it.  Saving $35 to not coat the slide just isn't worth it to me.  

As for the optic cut, it fits the 507c perfectly, just a bit snug.  I haven't tried other 507's, not sure how tight they are, but I  did have a friend get hit in the forehead with a dot that flew off - on a custom milled Shadow 2 - milled by a local guy - that was a sloppy fit and cheap screws.  Didn't want that.  

10 minutes ago, philmadxx said:

To each his own.  I know SS doesn't rust, I wanted the whole slide cerakoted and yes I know that is not the factory finish.  I also added the red DWX color infill, wasn't sure that would turn out good but I really like it.  This gun will not be a safe queen, it will show wear no matter what coating it has - doesn't bother me.  If it does, I'll just have it recoated - haven't done that on any other guns that show wear.   What would bother me is knowing part of the slide doesn't match - even though I can't see it.  Saving $35 to not coat the slide just isn't worth it to me.  

As for the optic cut, it fits the 507c perfectly, just a bit snug.  I haven't tried other 507's, not sure how tight they are, but I  did have a friend get hit in the forehead with a dot that flew off - on a custom milled Shadow 2 - milled by a local guy - that was a sloppy fit and cheap screws.  Didn't want that.  

not trying to beat a dead horse here but this shadow 2 probably has over 10k draws from a holster on the stock DLC coating. I think I’ve cleaned more than just the barrel maybe 3 times in its life. I’ve even dropped it a couple times (unloaded). The slide looks perfect still. The slide under my DWX may as well be raw stainless (it’s not, it was coated with black oxide and looks no different than the rest of the gun) but you wouldn’t know as it has an optic mounted on it. Can you tell the difference in the attached photo of the SBGW milled glock slide? 

Your post implies cerakote is the better option. I think cerakote is actually widely considered the worst option for a coating on any firearm that may see hard use or be routinely carried in a holster as it will quickly show wear. Why a company would require you to get the slide cerakoted to me screams they’re worried about any imperfections showing in their machine work. Same for requiring you to send in an optic. 

198B6314-5CC5-479F-A097-FA814F7B3921.jpeg

DE64FEB5-3473-419D-9E30-E59F1AE20E3D.jpeg

1 hour ago, philmadxx said:

It's not "to each their own." According to *you,* Primary Machine cerecotes the entire slide because they "want to make everything perfect." Clearly, using an inferior finish can't make *anything* perfect. And I'm assuming you are just parroting what PM told you. Combined with the subsequent story about the failed Holosun 507comp milling job sure is enough to make me avoid them completely. 

Wow - so defensive - what are you guys so worried about?  Why on earth would you care this much that I like the job Primary Machine did on my slide?  Why would you care that I like the to have the complete slide cerakoted and I don't mind paying a little extra for it?  Why would you care that I don't mind having a coating that may not be as bulletproof as the factory coating?  Why would you make claims like the coating is to hide imperfections when you obviously know the coating is too thin to do that?  I made no claims that it was better than anything else, I just wanted to show my gun, that I think looks great. I saw their work first hand and was impressed, based on that went with them and currently have a Shadow 2 slide (which, by the way, has a PVD coating, not DLC, at least according to CZ's website) on it's way there - you guys chose another route - I couldn't care less, if you're happy with it - good for you - to each his own.

Colorado Nick - I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make by showing the milled glock slide or the S2 with the optic mount - I assume that is the factory slide finish on teh S2 because it doesn't match the frame - just like mine.  I have 4 other CZs and I don't think the finish on any of them is as good as the DWX - including my Czechmate - but I'm no expert.  I don't draw my S2 much - I will when I get it back but the finish on my TSO is showing some wear - after probably 10k rounds and 100s of kydex holster draws.  I use a race holster now so only  the trigger guard gets any wear. 

On 7/29/2023 at 2:12 AM, Ajohnson15 said:

It's like a 1911, but just reversible. Same procedure.

Just lightly turn the lock key while sliding it in until it finds the groove. Once you find the groove, let go of the catch and continue to turn the key lightly until the catch snaps into position

thank you!

On 7/29/2023 at 9:58 AM, pcar157 said:

My only issue with Primary Machine when milling for a red dot they insist on refinishing the entire slide.  Concerned with the slide finish matching the frame.

Scott at Impact Machine will refinish just the cut area or if the buyer wishes he will also do the entire slide. For stainless I believe he gives the option of no finish at all if the buyer so choses.

They told me refinishing was not needed because it's stainless steel.

5 hours ago, philmadxx said:

Why would you care that I like the to have the complete slide cerakoted and I don't mind paying a little extra for it? 

I made no claims that it was better than anything else, I just wanted to show my gun, that I think looks great

On the first point, it didn't used to be a choice. It was SOP for PM. On the second, pretty sure calling something "perfect" implies "better than anything else."

I am still waiting on CZC to finish mine. I went with direct SRO milling, full action trigger job, new brass palm swell grips from Patriot Defense painted black, etc. Trying to get SSI to make a nitro fin for it but it is totally different from the CZ stuff.

2 hours ago, Superkaratemonkeyfighter said:

So the slide stop is a proprietary parts also ?

if I ever get a chance to handle one of these guns I be thinking about just taping it a standard 2011 pattern snd you can choose any thumbrest you want. 

Very much so. Nathan Carter with Shooting Sports Innovations worked on a potential nitro fin and the gun is just so different than a CZ or 2011. Kinda bummed. Their are very very few aftermarket parts. I’d love some shielded ambi safeties. 

4 minutes ago, Posvar said:

The other thing that I want to get is a better fitting and better looking magwell. Stuart at CZC is working on one that is a much better option than the current option.

So not blow up Stuart's ego,  but he knows what he is talking about.  But I heard he is not pretty.  😆 🤣 

31 minutes ago, Posvar said:

The other thing that I want to get is a better fitting and better looking magwell. Stuart at CZC is working on one that is a much better option than the current option.

Have you tried the Floyds Custom magwell? It’s perfect. Not Cerakote perfect but actually perfect. 😜

Anyone know of a night sight made for the DWX or if the dovetail is a Novak 330* x 65* ?

I had a reply that someone used a Dawson with minimal fitting but I want a tritium sight preferably like the “night fision” sights. 

27 minutes ago, ColoradoNick said:

Have you tried the Floyds Custom magwell? It’s perfect. Not Cerakote perfect but actually perfect. 😜

Is it the Tac Sport one on their site?