Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is there any way to adjust the bell from the powder funnel WITHOUT attaching the powder measure?

Whenever I want to adjust the bell created by the powder-through-funnel on my 550, I have to put a sized case with a reinstalled primer into the powder measure stage and then, by trial and error, loosen or tighten the powder die. All it really does is lift the entire powder measure assembly. But if the measure has powder in it, it drops powder every time, which is annoying (and is why I install a spent primer into the test case).

The belling/flaring, is done by the drop-through-powder funnel, but the only thing holding it down is the powder measure assembly ... I think.

Is there anyway to block the upward movement of the funnel so that you can adjust the die without having the powder measure attached? I just find it annoying, even though it's not something that is done often. 

basically "Is there anyway to adjust the bell from the powder funnel without the powder measure attached?"

Thanks!

41 minutes ago, Vincerama said:

Whenever I want to adjust the bell created by the powder-through-funnel on my 550, I have to put a sized case with a reinstalled primer into the powder measure stage and then, by trial and error, loosen or tighten the powder die. All it really does is lift the entire powder measure assembly. But if the measure has powder in it, it drops powder every time, which is annoying (and is why I install a spent primer into the test case).

The belling/flaring, is done by the drop-through-powder funnel, but the only thing holding it down is the powder measure assembly ... I think.

Is there anyway to block the upward movement of the funnel so that you can adjust the die without having the powder measure attached? I just find it annoying, even though it's not something that is done often. 

basically "Is there anyway to adjust the bell from the powder funnel without the powder measure attached?"

Thanks!

You should only have to adjust the flare one time per caliber, empty the powder hopper and processed, it's a quick process. 

1 hour ago, Ssanders224 said:

Nope. 

This^^^^^

Just use a primed case or a case with a spent primer still in it. If you remove the measure assy you will see that the funnel just pushes all the way up if you operate the handle.

12 hours ago, Ssanders224 said:

Nope. 

Very succinct but absolutely right

You need the measure there but you don't have to crank down the allen screws. just set it were the instructions say to and go from there. If the measure has powder in it for whatever reason just dump it out.

35 minutes ago, m700 said:

Very succinct but absolutely right

You need the measure there but you don't have to crank down the allen screws. just set it were the instructions say to and go from there. If the measure has powder in it for whatever reason just dump it out.

Actually the measure will self center if you just leave everything loose. 

9 hours ago, RGA said:

You can use the seperate AT500 powder die. Then you can lock the funnel in place with the set screw.

If you have the tools you could drill and tap the std powder die to install a set screw.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/at-500-powder-die_8_4_23631.html

dillon-manual-powder-die.jpg

Interesting thought.

I've been considering this as well. If you raise the ram to flare a case and drop powder, and then lock the screw down, you should be able to remove the powder measure, adjust the flare, and put it back on and be correct as long as the funnel didn't slip. 

I'll have to try this.

I've also thought about making an adapter for this purpose that would attach to the powder die in place of the powder measure, just for flare adjustment. It'd look like some sort of cap sitting over the powder die.  

It hasn't seemed worth the trouble to machine one just for myself, but if I made a bunch of them, would any of you guys be interested? 

22 minutes ago, Yondering said:

Interesting thought.

I've been considering this as well. If you raise the ram to flare a case and drop powder, and then lock the screw down, you should be able to remove the powder measure, adjust the flare, and put it back on and be correct as long as the funnel didn't slip. 

I'll have to try this.

I've also thought about making an adapter for this purpose that would attach to the powder die in place of the powder measure, just for flare adjustment. It'd look like some sort of cap sitting over the powder die.  

It hasn't seemed worth the trouble to machine one just for myself, but if I made a bunch of them, would any of you guys be interested? 

What you had been thinking about is exactly what I was wondering about.

It's not insurmountable, it's just that I used one toolhead holding .38/.357 dies to load ... .38 and .357 length cases (with the same powder, the .357s are just longer .38s (Cowboy shooting, .357 length feeds my lever action better)). I don't want to buy another toolhead and set of dies so I just adjust up and down and it's just a small inconvenience. So I take loosen the powder measure to adjust and leave the powder in there, and even if I empty it, some powder falls out anyway. So I thought there might be a handy thing where I can take the measure off, slip some dood-dad on then adjust it and then put the measure back on. Since it's not as simple as "Oh, just put a toothpick into this hole", I'll accept an answer of "No, just live with it".

32 minutes ago, Vincerama said:

What you had been thinking about is exactly what I was wondering about.

It's not insurmountable, it's just that I used one toolhead holding .38/.357 dies to load ... .38 and .357 length cases (with the same powder, the .357s are just longer .38s (Cowboy shooting, .357 length feeds my lever action better)). I don't want to buy another toolhead and set of dies so I just adjust up and down and it's just a small inconvenience. So I take loosen the powder measure to adjust and leave the powder in there, and even if I empty it, some powder falls out anyway. So I thought there might be a handy thing where I can take the measure off, slip some dood-dad on then adjust it and then put the measure back on. Since it's not as simple as "Oh, just put a toothpick into this hole", I'll accept an answer of "No, just live with it".

If the point is just to switch between different case lengths like 38/357 and 40/10mm, there is an easy solution - spacer washers that go under the die locknuts. RCBS used to sell them, not sure if they still do; they are just a washer of the same thickness as the difference in case length. 

You do have to use locking die nuts rather than the Dillon nuts. 

These days I prefer to just have another tool head and die set, but the spacers are a viable way to go if you're willing to unscrew each die to set it up. You'll need 3 spacers, one each for the powder funnel, seat die, and crimp die.