Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Opportunity Knocks

I have a moral/ethical/financial question to pose to the Forum.  A little over a month ago, a friend's brother-in-law offered to sell me his Limited blaster, an STI Trojan (.40 w/3 hi caps, Safariland 012 rig, etc.)  

He priced the whole thing out at $2300.  He offered to sell me at $1900.  I said, "No, the best I can do on that is $1500," which I thought was really the most anyone was going to give him.   (I really want an Open blaster, but this was a nice deal on a low-mileage Limited gun, so I decided to make the offer.)  He said "No way," that he really needed more than that.  And... that was that.  

My neighbor told me that he went to the local gunshow to try and make a better deal.  I just said "Ooookaay, I don't think he's going to get a better one, but I hope for the best for him."  Well, two weeks ago, I see my neighbor and he told me that his Brother-In-Law called and said that he'd go ahead and take the $1500.  I told him that I really needed to think about it.  If it was an Open gun, it would be a no brainer.  I just have a tough time getting too excited about a .40 Limited.  Don't ask me why.  

In the meantime Tawn Argeris dropped the price on his numero uno blaster to $1000.  Oooh, the temptation.

I have the money, that's not the problem.  I obviously left money on the table because I don't think anyone offered him half of what I offered - oh well...  I *do* want to be a man of my word here.  The guy is a pilot who's been laid off for a year, so he needs the money.  It won't kill me to cough up and help him out.  I am a little jilted over him walking away from what I thought was the best deal he was going to get.  

But, what do you think about this type of a transaction?  If a verbal offer is refused, is the offer still valid if the seller changes his mind and comes back?  Did the offer expire with the word "No?"  Do I have the right to renegotiate for his .40 reloading stuff? (Which I should have to begin with if I had my wits about me.)  Or, will re-negotiating just make me another money-grubbing a******* that America can do without?

I'm really torn over this.  I want to do what's right for him, but I want what's right for me.  

Whaddaya think?

E

IMHO if the offer is to remain open after being declined

then you would have had to say so.  I.E. The offer stands let me know if you change your mind.  I agree with the very excellent post stating to help  him sell it.

I thought the Trojan was the single-stack.

Anyway...from where I sit, you didn't have an agreement with him.  He stated one price, you said no.  You stated another price, he said no.

You should be starting from a clean slate.  

What is this DR. Laura/BE.com....he said no deal so buy the blaster you want at this point.  (I'm jealous you must be losing so much sleep over the open vs limited pull.)  you could also post the pilot's gun here or on the uspsa classifieds.

Flex,

I lose track of all the trade names, it's whatever STI's calls thier main Limited gun.  I think it's the Edge.  

Davecutts,

Yup, you're on the air dude!  I'm not totally socially inept, I just wanted to get other people's impression of what constitutes a verbal contract.  We all tend to live in our own little world sometimes, and I want to do what seems fair - not just what seems fair to me.  Hence the survey.  

Ron,

I haven't bought Tawn's blaster yet - I'm still mulling.  Go for it.  It's a bargain.  

----------

I've already given the guy BE.com's web address so that he could market the blaster online.  Obviously he hasn't done it yet - or it would be gone.  I kinda feel like the onus is on him for that.  

Thanks for the feedback all!

Eric

Eric,

I agree with everyone else that you have no obligation to buy the gun.  But you also indicated a desire to help the guy (I'm guessing you feel sympathy for his situation) and indicated that you're financially able to swing this.  If that's the case, I'd encourage you to do this, if you'd like to negotiate for the guys reloading package as well perhaps a fair price could be struck and you'd both walk away from the deal feeling good about it.  I've bought camera equipment I didn't need for worse reasons.....

Eric,

In pure Contract law, his revocation of your offer of $1500 is final.  If he comes back to you now and tells you the price is $1500, he is now making an offer to you which you can accept or reject.  

What you feel is right, however, is entirely different.  An Edge with 3 hicaps and a Safariland rig is a good deal at $1500.  I have a couple friends that might would be interested.  I don't imagine it would be too hard to sell at that price.

It's a done deal.  

The new blaster is sitting in front of me.  Turns out it's a Lexor .40, not the Edge.   I don't know if that's good or bad, but so far I like it.  Got a Dillon 550 w/dies, roller handle, strong mount and bullet tray in the bargain.  

Yippeee!

E

The Lexor is a Shooters Connection exlusive I believe with a five sided slide (three on top and sometimes called three sided).  Costs an addition $100 over the Edge, and is a lighter (and in my opinion better looking) slide.  Sounds like you did well.  

(Edited by DBChaffin at 10:26 am on Mar. 25, 2002)

Yes, the Lexor is a Shooters Connection exclusive. I asked Chuck what "Lexor" ment and he told me it was a mix of two car names. I think he said Lexus and Porsch but I'm not sure. Chuck sells them new for $1876.00 with 3 126mm hi-caps.

http://www.shootersconnection.com

(Edited by Singlestack at 2:17 pm on Mar. 25, 2002)

You can buy an out-of-state gun by having it shipped to your local, FFL holding, gun dealer.  Your loacl dealer should only charge you a very modest fee...not much work involved for them (logging the gun in and out, holding it until you pick it up, back-ground check & paperwork).

The smart dealers realize that they have a customer in their shop...