Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the consensus on MBX Mags right now?

tacomandood

Bought a complete new MBX mag last year, guts and all, from a reputable online store. I wanted to try the 155mm. It wouldn't work at all out of the box. Every round would jam. 

I sent mbx a couple of emails asking for advice.  I never recieved an answer.  

I ended up tuning the feed lips and adjusted the angle of follower. I finally got it to work. 

Over the years. I've owned 9 STI mags ( both gen 1 and 2). I've never had one not work or give me problems.  So lack of MBX support and reliability,  I'll stick with STI

I've had problems with MBX 120 and 140 mm 10 round mags. The first two or three rounds feed and then the remaining rounds are jammed in the mag tube causing a feed failure.

Running a silicone impregnated cloth through the mag after cleaning it helps with this bproblem.

On 10/25/2019 at 5:59 PM, tomv said:
I've had problems with MBX 120 and 140 mm 10 round mags.

I think your first problem is you’re living in a state where you have to use 10-rounds mags lol.

Edited by tacomandood

17 minutes ago, nikdanja said:

I’ve always love MBX mags. I have the tubes and base pads but use the grams springs and followers. 

So do grams springs and followers work without any modification? Drop in? 

3 minutes ago, cheby said:

So do grams springs and followers work without any modification? Drop in? 

You have to mess with the follower so it doesn’t lock back. Long story short the grams spring lasts way longer. 

1 hour ago, nikdanja said:

You have to mess with the follower so it doesn’t lock back. Long story short the grams spring lasts way longer. 

Can I just replace the springs and keep the original followers then?

Edited by cheby

26 minutes ago, cheby said:

Can I just replace the springs and keep the original followers then?

I’ve never tried that before. I just kept it as a grams system. In fact I just ordered replacement tubes and 2 base pads. All MBX

Yes. I get the 13 coil springs cause they last longer. When they are brand new it’s a pain to get the 20th round in and you have to seat the mag like a man when reloading. All that being said, I feel you get more life out of them and after all, they aren’t cheap. 

2 hours ago, nikdanja said:

Yes. I get the 13 coil springs cause they last longer. When they are brand new it’s a pain to get the 20th round in and you have to seat the mag like a man when reloading. All that being said, I feel you get more life out of them and after all, they aren’t cheap. 

Do you use 13 coil springs in the 140mm magazines?