Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6 O'clock News: Jet Blue Emergency

This time of the evening we usually have a high-speed chase on the evening news. Tonight, it's different. Jet Blue flight 292 out of Long Beach (LGB) to New York had the nose wheel go hard left after takeoff around 1517 this afternoon. They have been burning off fuel for the last couple of hours and will be landing on 25L at LAX. The equipment is standing by and the news guys are all over it. There are 146 souls on board (6 crew and 140 pax). They expect to land prior to sunset local.

Now back to the forum...

A real friggin excellent pilot! They touched down keeping the nosewheel off the runway as long as possible. When it fianlly hit, it did not straighten out and it slowly burnt off the tires. The hydraulic fluid burnt and it looks like the wheels may have ignited for a bit but the landing was so soft the strut did not collapse.

The seem to be letting things cool off prior to evacuation.

Now they rolling up the air stair and going to get the folks off the bird.

Happy Ending :D

PS: It was an A320 with a real good crew!

I just heard an interview with one of the passengers. It seems that they were watching themselves land on DirecTV. Wow, talk about situational awarness!

<Drift_on>

This whole event got me thinking about technology. There was this very heavy object, made out of hundreds of thousands of parts, moving through the air. It had a problem but planning, design and training overcame it. There was a guy on board who was looking at a LCD that has little bitty transisitors driving the pixels so well that he thought he was looking at real scene. The image was received by a signal that came through another object that just happend to be 22,500 miles overhead.

I was observing the event by watching a projection HDTV that was displaying the signal that was relayed through digital cable from another object in the air with a HDTV camera. While I was watching this I was transmitting notes from a couple of pounds of laptop computer (with LCD) through a wireless router though a modem that is hooked to copper wire that carries a signal that runs at a data rate that is 500 times faster than the orginal system was designed for. Theses notes were transmitted to a computer (probably in Phoeinx) that is frequently accessed by gun nuts from around the world. Pretty friggin amazing, don't you think?

</Drift_on>

Edited by ChuckS

I wonder if the pilot is available to give a lesson on soft field landings? That was a perfect, textbook example, delivered under fire. He was in the Zone.

In the 80s an airliner had an engine blow, and the fan blades took out all the flight controls except for the throttles to the other two engines. No elevators, ailerons, rudder, or spoilers. The pilot invented a method of controlling the plane using only the throttles, and landed it. The ailerons were stuck in a slight bank, so when he flared the plane rolled and crashed, but a lot of people survived.

A couple of years ago in Baghdad a DHL cargo plane got hit by a SAM and found itself in the same situation. The pilot landed using only throttles. He had attended a seminar the previous year put on by the pilot from the earlier incident.

BTW, Charlton Heston played the pilot in the first incident in the movie.

There's another awesome example of the 'Gimli Glider'. A screwup on metric-to-english conversions left a 767 high-and-completely dry over Canada. The pilots managed to dead-stick glide it into an abandoned airbase and miss the drag racers that were, unbeknownst to them, now occupying the runway.

Edited by shred

In the 80s an airliner had an engine blow, and the fan blades took out all the flight controls except for the throttles to the other two engines. No elevators, ailerons, rudder, or spoilers. The pilot invented a method of controlling the plane using only the throttles, and landed it. The ailerons were stuck in a slight bank, so when he flared the plane rolled and crashed, but a lot of people survived.

Was that the DC-10 that lost #2? Taking out the return hydro and pnuematic lines? If so there was a part designed to prevent that, but I can't remember the name now. Basically a flow regulating shut-off valve that would sense dramatic/excessive dumps of line pressure. Pretty cool but too late. The incident I'm thinking of was piloted by a very experience prior service military pilot. Dual engine military aircraft have been using engine vectoring at extreme speeds for some time. Very skillful to use it in a flying aluminum rock successfully!!!

I'm very interested in what will become of the investigation of this incident. This was 100% mechanical failure. Which means, depending on the age of the Airbus a mechanic worked on or inspected this part prior to this incident. If so one signature could be charged with felonious endangerment of life. Big stuff folks! The failure was in the 'over-center' mechanizim of the nose gear. Basically it's a very mechanicall ( IE... simple but dependable) part that centers the nose gear at full extention. Not for landing. But to align it with the nose wheel well and the stop bumper.

Believe it or not this shouldn't have been that hard of an exercise for an experience pilot. Especially if he flys light craft too. Because of the lift/speed coefficient the nose should have been really light. His dilema was how hard to force it to the ground. Masterful job, but basically the same drill as landing with no front gear. Nice and gentle and let it grind to a stop. There are automatic fire extinguishers in the nose wheel well so really no possiblity of catastrophy there.

My guess is there is presently a list of parts to change after the NTSB gets done looking at it.

Nose gear.

Pilot seat. ( If he didn't, he should have. LOL)

:D:PB)

Flight #1 was United Flight 232, Sioux City, Iowa, July 19, 1989. The Capt. was Al Haynes, and it was a DC-10 with 285 passengers and 12 crew members. The fan disc in the center engine disintegrated, destroying all 3 hydraulic systems. 185 people survived, including all 4 cockpit crew members. The movie was A Thousand Heroes, with Charlton Heston as Haynes.

Flight #2 was a DHL cargo flight into Baghdad, November 22, 2003. The Capt. was Eric Genotte, and it was a 1979 Airbus A300B4-203F with cargo and 4 crew members. Genotte had attended a safety seminar in 2003 at which Capt. Haynes spoke. I couldn't find whether the ATIS mentioned "shoulder fired missile activity in the area." I learned that pilots in Iraq use a spiral landing technique to minimize exposure, but it doesn't protect plans during takeoff and climbout. It was hit by an SA014 in the left wing. The pictures showed the wing skin bulged way up and down. Some French journalists were with the terrorists as they set up and fired, and took pictures.There's a Powerpoint presentation here: http://www.avweb.com//newspics/dhldown.pps.

Boeing, McDonnell Douglas and NASA did some subsequent tests, both using manual control and using software called PCA - Propulsion Controlled Aircraft. The tests showed that manual control is very hard, but people get better with time.