Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shoot the dot to speed up with irons ?

scroadkill

in my experience, using a dot can help to learn shot-calling with irons. the information is much more available with a dot, so once you start calling your shots with a dot, you may find that are more hungry for that information with iron sights. Learning to call your shots (or improve that ability) is an excellent way to get faster and more consistent.

also, shooting with a dot is easier, and you can shoot earlier coming into positions, shoot more while moving, etc.... Once you get comfortable with these ideas, it's easier to introduce them into your irons shooting.

fwiw, I don't know nuthin' about open or pcc, but shooting a 22 with a dot in steel challenge (and later a CO gun) Helped me take a step up in consistency and speed. But what helped even more is doing more live-fire movement training with irons, and really pushing the speed while temporarily relaxing my accuracy standards a bit.

I guess its not train a few sessions w/ a dot then back to irons then back again...

I noticed the benefits in irons after a year or two shooting open continuously. After everything is automatic w/ the dot the subconscious skills then transfers to shooting irons

8 hours ago, BoyGlock said:

I guess its not train a few sessions w/ a dot then back to irons then back again...

I noticed the benefits in irons after a year or two shooting open continuously. After everything is automatic w/ the dot the subconscious skills then transfers to shooting irons

to do it right ide have to shoot and reload 9 major to make the comp work.. and my tinnitus is pretty bad already... I dont even like ROing open shooters.. so no 9 major.

On 9/11/2019 at 4:37 PM, Balakay said:

If you want to shoot faster with iron sights, train to shoot faster with iron sights. Speed mode vs. Match mode. 

Shooting a rifle to get better at pistol sounds contrived. Especially if you shoot irons with a sight focus as opposed to a target focus. 

On 9/11/2019 at 3:52 PM, scroadkill said:

So ive heard if you want to shoot faster with iron sights, then shoot open for a while.. or PCC for a while.

someone please explain how this works

Dot do teach lot of things for a mid or low level shooter.

But do not change platform, no PCC, that's waste of time. Just shoot the same gun in CO/Production or 2011 in Limted/Open....