Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
OdinIII

Gen 5 long heavy guide rod

Recommended Posts

I got everything installed today. 

 

I was a bit concerned last night because the slide was no where close to closing during the vertical recoil spring test with the 13 lb. ISMI spring.  I put in the 4.5 lb. striker spring today and all is well with the 13 lb. spring.  It almost passes with the 11 lb. spring.

 

Weights for those interested - G34.5

Rod = 1.76 oz

Rod, adapter and 13 lb. spring = 2.11 oz

Thug plug = 1.48 oz

Pistol, DPP and items above = 28.22 oz

Pistol and an empty +5/+6 TTI mag = 32.52 oz

Loaded with 24 147's = 44.09 oz

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OdinIII said:

I got everything installed today. 

 

I was a bit concerned last night because the slide was no where close to closing during the vertical recoil spring test with the 13 lb. ISMI spring.  I put in the 4.5 lb. striker spring today and all is well with the 13 lb. spring.  It almost passes with the 11 lb. spring.

 

Weights for those interested - G34.5

Rod = 1.76 oz

Rod, adapter and 13 lb. spring = 2.11 oz

Thug plug = 1.48 oz

Pistol, DPP and items above = 28.22 oz

Pistol and an empty +5/+6 TTI mag = 32.52 oz

Loaded with 24 147's = 44.09 oz

 

 

I thought about trying the 11lb in practice. it shouldn't be an issue.  I mean, nobody runs around with the muzzle pointed straight up. I would think it would stay in battery. Though the inertia from rumnig may pop it out.  Then I just tell myself the 13 lb isn't hurting my scores. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went to the range today and tried shooting dot torture. The smaller targets made it obvious that I still have a low left issue that evidently I’ve been ignoring on larger targets. I really need more live fire practice.

The 13 lb spring seems to have cured the short stroking that I was having with the factory recoil spring and 130ish PF 147’s. The gun also ran fine with the 11 lb spring.

It does still short stroke when I load 23 in the TTI equipped mags. I need to figure that out and I’ll be set with this new pistol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2019 at 8:49 PM, OdinIII said:

Went to the range today and tried shooting dot torture. The smaller targets made it obvious that I still have a low left issue that evidently I’ve been ignoring on larger targets. I really need more live fire practice.

The 13 lb spring seems to have cured the short stroking that I was having with the factory recoil spring and 130ish PF 147’s. The gun also ran fine with the 11 lb spring.

It does still short stroke when I load 23 in the TTI equipped mags. I need to figure that out and I’ll be set with this new pistol.

 

Load your mags and leave them loaded for a couple of days and see if that helps, if not add a little spice to your ammo.  I had 3-4 mags that would do that out of my match gun, but now that the springs have set, I don't have a TTI mag that I can't start confidently with at 23+1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Load your mags and leave them loaded for a couple of days and see if that helps, if not add a little spice to your ammo.  I had 3-4 mags that would do that out of my match gun, but now that the springs have set, I don't have a TTI mag that I can't start confidently with at 23+1.


Since that post I’ve discovered that the gun works fine if I start with a factory 115 at about 133 PF in the barrel and 23 of my 147’s in the mag. There were several 22-24 round stages at my last local and I started this way with no issues.

I’m in the process of loading my last 1000 147’s then I’m switching to 125 BBI’s. I’m not sure how much of the problem is bullet weight vs PF but I needed to switch to coated bullets for cost savings so the time seemed right.

A side note is that most of the mags aren’t locking the slide back now. I plan to order ISMI 170mm springs to remedy this but haven’t found anyone with 8 in stock yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, OdinIII said:

 


Since that post I’ve discovered that the gun works fine if I start with a factory 115 at about 133 PF in the barrel and 23 of my 147’s in the mag. There were several 22-24 round stages at my last local and I started this way with no issues.

I’m in the process of loading my last 1000 147’s then I’m switching to 125 BBI’s. I’m not sure how much of the problem is bullet weight vs PF but I needed to switch to coated bullets for cost savings so the time seemed right.

A side note is that most of the mags aren’t locking the slide back now. I plan to order ISMI 170mm springs to remedy this but haven’t found anyone with 8 in stock yet.

 

 

I wonder if that isn't an issue with your lower PF ammo as well.... I've never had a mag not lock back.  Try the 115's all the way down in one of the suspect  mags and see if that doesn't resolve your situation as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently picked up some heavy guide rods to modify for my CZ, but I wrote down the measurements before I started cutting.

Jager Ultra Heavy Tungsten Gen3 G17
Rod Diameter: 0.275"
Base Diameter: 0.421"
Base Thickness: 0.071"
Weight: 2oz without spring

GlockStore  "Pure Tungsten" Gen5 G17
Rod Diameter: 0.312" for the first 1/2", increases to 0.315" at about the 1" mark, then tapers back down to 0.311" 3/4" after that and maintains diameter to the base
Base Diameter: 0.503"
Base Thickness: 0.200"

Weight: 2.8oz without spring

 

After calculating the density, the "pure tungsten" guide rod is most likely a 90% tungsten, 7% nickel, 3% iron alloy.(a magnet sticks to it)  Most Tungsten alloys higher than 92.5% are quite brittle.

The .275" Jager works fine with Wolff and Sprinco round-wire Glock springs.  Wolff springs are narrower at the closed end and barely fit on the thicker GS rod, but the Sprinco springs slide right on.  Modded to work in my CZ, the GS rod works surprisingly well with 4.25" 1911 Commander springs.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...