Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen 5 long heavy guide rod

OdinIII

I’m setting up a Gen 5 G34 for CO and was thinking I should try a large diameter full length tungsten guide rod. I have the large diameter steel rod in my Production G34 but can’t seem to find the equivalent rod in tungsten for the Gen 5. Am I missing something? Should I just stick with stainless?

Also, is there a go to source for small parts for Glock’s? It seems I always end up having to order from multiple sources for small parts like springs and trigger parts to get what I need.

On 8/10/2019 at 4:37 AM, OdinIII said:

Thanks, I’m assuming that uses ISMI springs? Do you know the diameter?

You can know that the diameter is smaller than the opening it easily passes through in the muzzle end of the slide without any hint of binding.

Edited by Paul49

I’m evidently just too picky. I’m not 100% comfortable with the one I had chosen due to the flat that contacts the barrel being the Gen 3 size. Is the Glockstore rod the correct size for the Gen5? I’m surprised that there aren’t more tungsten uncaptured rods available designed specifically for the Gen5

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone with the Glockstore tungsten rod verify that the diameter on the end that touches the frame is the same diameter as a factory rod?  It looks like the Gen 3 size in the pictures and I could only get them to say that "it's the same as factory" on the phone.  I need 2 and don't want the hassle or returning them if they don't match the factory end.

Also, does anyone know of an uncaptured steel rod that is extended to the end of the slide for the G34 with the correct diameter end that uses ISMI springs?

I know how shooters of the lesser used guns feel now.  This is the first time I haven't just been able to order exactly what I want for a Glock.

37 minutes ago, OdinIII said:

Can anyone with the Glockstore tungsten rod verify that the diameter on the end that touches the frame is the same diameter as a factory rod?  It looks like the Gen 3 size in the pictures and I could only get them to say that "it's the same as factory" on the phone.  I need 2 and don't want the hassle or returning them if they don't match the factory end.

Also, does anyone know of an uncaptured steel rod that is extended to the end of the slide for the G34 with the correct diameter end that uses ISMI springs?

I know how shooters of the lesser used guns feel now.  This is the first time I haven't just been able to order exactly what I want for a Glock.

I'm not sure I understand your questions or why you're worried?

I have these. They will run ismi springs. Think that's all that works. I use a 13# ismi. 

Not sure what you're needing to know with your first question? You'll need to buy an adapter for the guide rod so it works. All you need is the guide rod, adapter and ismi spring.  No need to worry about anything else. 

Hope that helps. 

Edited by B_RAD

I'm sure you are correct that I wouldn't have problems but the diameter on the Gen 5 guide rod end is ~.495" which is much larger than the gen 3's.  I would have to assume that the end may wander around on the frame since only the spring tension and adapter would be trying to center it.  I know that Jager states on his site the following...

"Jager  Gen. 5 Guide Rods have been designed from the ground up, not simply an "adapter" which causes inconsistent cycling and lockup due to incorrect fit to frame. With our Gen. 5 specific guide rods, the rear end of the rod sits properly in the frame with no movement or play.  One of the main benefits of adding a steel guide rod is to improve consistency of cycling, not decrease consistency. Our recoil assemblies have proven to cure the FTE malfunctions some Gen. 4 G17 owners are experiencing." 

To explain exactly what I'm concerned about you can compare the gen 3 rods to the gen 5 rods when laying in the frame without the slide on.  The Gen 5 is tight and the Gen 3 has nothing to locate the end of the guide rod.  I find it odd that all of the captured rods that I've seen have the correct diameter but the uncaptured ones do not.

I want all the weight up there I can get.  I guess I should just forget about having the correct diameter rod and go with one of the tungsten rods.  Jager makes an extended steel rod but it uses Wolff springs and I was wanting to try ISMI.

11 hours ago, OdinIII said:

I'm sure you are correct that I wouldn't have problems but the diameter on the Gen 5 guide rod end is ~.495" which is much larger than the gen 3's.  I would have to assume that the end may wander around on the frame since only the spring tension and adapter would be trying to center it.  I know that Jager states on his site the following...

"Jager  Gen. 5 Guide Rods have been designed from the ground up, not simply an "adapter" which causes inconsistent cycling and lockup due to incorrect fit to frame. With our Gen. 5 specific guide rods, the rear end of the rod sits properly in the frame with no movement or play.  One of the main benefits of adding a steel guide rod is to improve consistency of cycling, not decrease consistency. Our recoil assemblies have proven to cure the FTE malfunctions some Gen. 4 G17 owners are experiencing." 

To explain exactly what I'm concerned about you can compare the gen 3 rods to the gen 5 rods when laying in the frame without the slide on.  The Gen 5 is tight and the Gen 3 has nothing to locate the end of the guide rod.  I find it odd that all of the captured rods that I've seen have the correct diameter but the uncaptured ones do not.

I want all the weight up there I can get.  I guess I should just forget about having the correct diameter rod and go with one of the tungsten rods.  Jager makes an extended steel rod but it uses Wolff springs and I was wanting to try ISMI.

Bro,.....  Not trying to be rude..... You are over complicating this way to much!  

My gen 5's with the tungsten GR are very accurate!  They would be equally accurate with the Jager. There is no sloppiness.  Not that I've noticed anyways. I wouldn't shoot anything that would cause me issues or make my accuracy suffer. You're being bamboozled by jagers description. They're trying to sell you thier product by fabricating a non issue. I've got 20k on my tungsten GR. Not a single issue. 

Pick one.... It's not going to matter.  

Edited by B_RAD

I got a Jager Heavy with 15lb spring coming in for my Gen5 G34. Only shooting factory loads right now. Anyone else have any feedback on spring weight and factory loads with the Gen5 G34?

Read that it was good to go slightly heavier spring for the Gen5 since the barrel lug is now further back and the spring will have less locking force?

Fedex shows my guide rods arriving tomorrow so I’ll know more this weekend. I also ordered 11 and 13 lb ISMI springs from Shooters Connection to try out. I’m not sure what brand spring comes with the rods so I wanted to experiment with a known spring so I could have 100% faith in my spares.

I know one thing for sure. My factory G34.5 doesn’t like my 132 PF 147’s.

On 8/29/2019 at 7:37 PM, OdinIII said:

Fedex shows my guide rods arriving tomorrow so I’ll know more this weekend. I also ordered 11 and 13 lb ISMI springs from Shooters Connection to try out. I’m not sure what brand spring comes with the rods so I wanted to experiment with a known spring so I could have 100% faith in my spares.

I know one thing for sure. My factory G34.5 doesn’t like my 132 PF 147’s.

What's the word on the guide rod end size?  

What's the word on the guide rod end size?  

It is the Gen 3 size. My Gen 3 Jager SS rod has a .415” end and the Gen 5 GlockStore end is .410”. The factory Gen 5 end is .495”. I’ll try to post some pics from my phone.

As said earlier, many people are running Gen 3 rods in later guns with no issues. I don’t expect any problems because of the size difference.