Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to handle lube groove in 125 gr Brazos 9mm bullet?

ChemistShooter

I saw where Brazos 125 gr coated bullets with a lube groove were being reported to be more accurate. I ordered a sample pack to play with.

My question is: What do I do with the lube groove? Just ignore it? Since it's a coated bullet, can't really see where I would need lube.

Just ignore the lube groove.  I have shot a lot of coated bullets with lube grooves.  When coatings were first becoming popular, the bullet manufacturers were using their current moulds and just coating instead of lubing the bullets.  They all worked great.  Then, since there is no need for a lube groove on a coated bullet, moulds were made without grooves, and you can get those in the most popular calibers and masses.  I have not noticed much of a difference between grooved and non grooved bullets, but if I want the most accuracy with the least amount of fuss, I still shoot jacketed bullets.

I've shot over 20K of that bullet from Bayou. Loaded anywhere from 1.125-1.170 

from 1050fps to major velocity.  Great bullet design that is very accurate out of every gun I own/owned 

Brazos is the same bullet mold, and I've shoot about 1500 of them.

When you order them get at least .001 larger than you usually use.

Brazos uses softer lead and requires a larger dia. so it seals well and doesn't lead your barrels.

Still very good shooting bullets and well casted and coated via Brazos.

Just ignore it. I load mine to 1.145" I get great accuracy from them. They just lead my barrel really bad. I tried some .357's from them and they leaded too. Wish they worked. Great price and stupid accurate. Back to BBI for me.

As stated in the other thread, try the .358 size with a proper expander.  Even the .357s fouled my CZs bad but the .358 is minimal, no more really than from open base FMJs, with great accuracy.

10 hours ago, jpm2953 said:

Just ignore it. I load mine to 1.145" I get great accuracy from them. They just lead my barrel really bad. I tried some .357's from them and they leaded too. Wish they worked. Great price and stupid accurate. Back to BBI for me.

And which bullet are you referring to here my friend?

• 2 months later...
On 7/11/2019 at 6:34 AM, jpm2953 said:

were you using the coated bullets or plain cast?