Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whats Is The #1 Thing That Slows Up Improvement

Flyin40

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OH! YOU ARE RIGHT AGAIN BE!

I have not been PRACTICING any skills or developement things at club matches. I just learened how to be a good competitor (I shoot a club match every weekend for the last 6 years)

I guess that might be a problem. I never haved Practiced "shooting" I practice dry firing with no real feed back and live fire gives real feed back that I am not usally to happy with. So I "TRY" (nasty word) harder and it makes it worse and makes me anxious. funny thing is I even built a range to be able to to pracice what we do. (the other local ranges were... no drawing... 1 shoot per second ETC.) so I never went out and shot. I only really "Shot" at club matches and that usally went OK and progressed because of the share number of matches I shot but now that has caught up with me.

I am VERY LEARNED may be to LEARNED. I have a problem with that I equate knowledge with skill. Example: Just because I know I should bend my knees more... then I should be doing it. right?.... NO! not unless I practice doing it... correct?

HMMMMM...... I think some one has cracked the closet door and let some light in. Its still very dim in here but may we are on to something. What do you think?

Edited by scorch

Very nice thread guys, I am enjoying this one. On this original question, I believe in a process called "fear of failure". Like has been stated before, if you shoot well by yourself, but not at big matches or when a certain someone shows up to the match or during qualifiers or whatever, it is that fear of failure / internal head game that is messing with you.

My second comment is just a quote that I saw today and when I read it I thought of this thread. "The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge." by Daniel J. Boorstin

Brian, you ask about focus and what that means to each of us. I thought of your awareness discussion in your book. I also remember the comment of meditating not about shooting but while shooting. Shooting without expectations and being in the present come to mind as well.

Will be at the range tomorrow and have a match on Saturday. My goal for the match is not to shoot above my ability level. My goal is do what I have trained to do and do it at a 95% performance level. If you TRY above your trained level you are waiting for a train wreck. Perform as I know that I can and I will be happy no matter what the score card says or what the guy next to me shot.

Rick

Flyin40,

I understand what you are saying. After I think about it more. It would take less mental focus to focus on the dot that it would the target. You said if you focus on the target all you see is brown and your shots go to hell. I can understand that. The dot is a smaller thing to focus on. Thanks. I have a new way of looking at it now.

Have fun in my home state. I wish I was there to shoot.

glock17w

Excellent thread!!

Change..but not from a technique standpoint.

In the past, I switched platforms too much. Open one week, Ltd the next, Revo etc. And then Production.. I hated Production.

Thinking that I might learn something by shooting a division I didn't do well in..shooting a gun I didn't feel I could shoot, I've stuck with the same division and the same gun for the past year and a half.

Now, everything is starting to come together. I like Production now and have fun again.

I have a problem with that I equate knowledge with skill. Example: Just because I know I should bend my knees more... then I should be doing it. right?.... NO! not unless I practice doing it... correct?

HMMMMM...... I think some one has cracked the closet door and let some light in. Its still very dim in here but may we are on to something. What do you think?

Yes, I think it's getting lighter...

;)

You said if you focus on the target all you see is brown and your shots go to hell.  I can understand that.  The dot is a smaller thing to focus on.

If all you see is "brown," then you'll shoot brown, somewhere. The trick is to properly define each target, then find them. If you're not looking for anything specific, don't expect to specifically hit anything.

Visualize a stage as a string of A-boxes, then find the A-boxes. If you can't see the A-boxes, then find the center of each target. Or with round steel plates, look for each as a "round object," and you'll shoot them in the center. For big rectangular steel plates, never shoot "at the plate." Always find the center and shoot it.

be

"So What is "the Trick" to turning off your mind on demand
-Scorch

Scorch, you can learn to turn it off. But, the motivation for doing so has to come from a much deeper place than simply a desire to shoot better in matches. Desires cannot take you away from being mind dominated, because all worldly desires, like winning, aquiring, achieving, ect., are mind generated. Ego gratification is the mind's never-ending business....and business is good.

Some people discover that certain activities give them time out of mind. For instance, I used to do all sorts of dangerous stuff because my mind is scared wit-less by the prospect of imminent physical death. When my mind got so scared that it finally shut-up and did the deer in the headlights thing, there was great peace in that place. This is why we drive crazy-fast, jump motorcycles, bungee-jump, hang from cliffs, start fights, and all that other cool stuff. B) It's all done just to catch a brief glimpse of the spiritual side of life. I don't recommend doing all that stuff, it's really unnecessary and can be very harmful to those around you.

BTW, your mind will tell you that the spiritual side of life is just a bunch of boring sissy-boy stuff meant for priests, monks, and religious types. Our ego dominated society absoultely loaths true spirituality and everything that points to it.

The "trick" to turning off the mind is simple. It's the choices that are hard.

And yes, all this eventually translates into a better performance while shooting. But by that time, you really won't care. :lol:

Thinking that improvement is something you need to do is what I think impeedes improvement. Basically you're spending time pondering instead of actually doing or acting. You've taken yourself out of the present moment and are re-living the past. And, as we all know, the past is just that; past.

Our span of control is limited to this very moment and this moment only. Realizing that and then being decisive to apply yourself 100% in the present tense is the key, IMO, to unlocking your potential.

I think too many people spend time dwelling on the past, disecting results instead of projecting vision to the future. They don't have a clear mental picture of what sucess looks like for them at this moment.

Sam - great post, btw.

Basically you're spending time pondering instead of actually doing or acting. You've taken yourself out of the present moment and are re-living the past.
Our span of control is limited to this very moment and this moment only.

That's awesome Dave! B)

So Scorch, what Dave said.

What I mean by discovering the spiritual side of life is to actually find balance. We are way too mind dominated and time obsessed in our society. Most people have their minds either racing forward or spinning in reverse. The future has yet to be created and the past has already died. Life is here and now, and only here and now. Our real life exists in eternity, outside of psycological time.

Jesus once asked his friends, "Why do you seek the living among the dead?"

My initial answer to the title of the post is ATTITUDE.

The word "attitude" was going to be in my original sentence. ;) But as I was writing another sentence to define "attitude," I changed "attitude" to "temperament." I looked up the word "attitude" and didn't like the definition for how I wanted to use it. But what I mean by "attitude" is what first came to mind - it's the root of everything we do.

be

• 2 years later...

I think the #1 thing that slows up improvement is ourselves. If you get out of the way and throw away everything you think you know and just try different stuff out and watch what happens, you will be surprised. I think that is the attitude you need if you want to see improvement.

I know as a shooter, we get our off days. For me, I get a trigger freeze and miss draws even after dry practice.

one thing that I learned, is to just relax at a stage on the DRAW! if the draw is wrong, then everything else is wrong.

START with a relax DRAW and slowly be aggressive your shooting and FLY through the movements but smooth out on the shots to find the A zone. By seeing your shots and taking one shot at each plate or popper with trigger control, is a perfect stage for me! NO MISTAKES at my current level of skill! ACCEPT THIS AND DO NOT LONG FOR a faster time, or I could have should have would have! Accept a clean stage with no extra shots and seing your sights as you break the shot. THIS IS A PERFECT STAGE FOR ME. ..........A FAST DRAW DOESNT WIN STAGES......GOOD STAGE ANALYSIS, PRACTICING PERFECT MOVEMENT( no wasted movement like dipping down when taking off from one position to another) AND GOOD SHOTS WILL ONLY MAKE YOU A BETTER SHOOTER. YOU WILL EVENTUALLY BE FASTER!! For me I never try to have fun and just shoot because 9 out of 10 times I practice a bad movement and shots just to get by with a fast time..This means that I just practice bad HABITS!!. I just DO a consistant shooting and movement and hope that I get better as years go by.. I KNOW I CAN NOT GET WORSE!

Edited by shooterbenedetto

• 2 weeks later...
Trying to go fast.

I wasted years trying to go fast, crashing and burning.

Better shooters would tell me to slow down and go smooth.

I didn't listen.

We must be the same person, I think my subconison wrote this!!

I went throught the same thing for 3 years, finally started working on becoming smooth and my scores improved dramtically. I also heard it every match from the good shooters, gee wish I would have listen 3 years ago.

I think the #1 thing that slows up improvement is ourselves. If you get out of the way and throw away everything you think you know and just try different stuff out and watch what happens, you will be surprised. I think that is the attitude you need if you want to see improvement.

Good one. I've learned sooo much, in shooting and in life, by doing exactly that.

Whats Is The #1 Thing That Slows Up Improvement?

Laziness

Yes. It's so easy to become complacent. It's a bad habit.

be

Good topic, glad it got raised from the past. I'm dealing with this very thing now. New to USPSA, my scores suggest a solid "D" shooter, about 30%. So I started to figure out a training plan to get to "B" in ~12 months. Then I realized that while a "B" shooter is great, in comparison, I was just setting myself up for failure both technically and spiritually.

While I love shooting, I really love my son and wife, and would love to have a job, and would love to have all the things around the house done that need doing. It's not that I'm being nagged; far from it. My family supports me as I support them but bad stewardship has been catching up to me. There are lots of "projects" that I've started but not finished as I run off to start a new project.

My bible study has been focussing on James 3:13-18, a discussion of proper wisdom and setting aside self-ambition. Becoming a "B" shooter is fine but I was chasing after it for selfish ambition. And Ego! As an instructor I *should* shoot great, shouldn't I?

Well, not really. There's nothing wrong with being a "B" shooter, an "A" shooter, or a "GM", if that's what you've been created to do. The reality is that I'm built to be average in performance and great in encouragement. I find pleasure in helping out; score keeping, explaining things to new shooters, and pasting targets. If I spend so much energy in becoming a "great" shooter then I miss all the opportunities to do what I'm created and called to do.

Improvement is often hindered by an improper definition of success. What is a faster draw time when your spouse needs your help working through something painful? Should you practice reloads or play catch with a child who revels in your attention? To shoot better, make sure you've gotten things at home to their proper state and then go practice from the comfort of real success. Remove the pressure of self-definition from your shooting and let yourself be open to the oddities that come from experimentation and a happy mind. When you've just gotten a big hug your mind is more open to constructive criticism and perfect practice on your reloads.

Leam

In defense of ego, I don’t think anyone would practice or improve much at all without it.

Heck I think I could argue pretty well that strong ego is one of the most important things to speed up improvement.

Great thread! Some very interesting insights here.

Leam, awesome post. I too have pondered some of the very same ideas. Do I want to be a B class or better shooter? Sure I do. I'm still a lowly D class guy, but I can feel myself getting better. I practice when time allows. After much thought on the subject I always come to the same conclusion and I think about the reasons why I shoot USPSA in the first place, I simply enjoy it. To wish that I was a higher class shooter would be cheating myself. I'll get there one of these days, but for now I'm enjoying the heck out of the journey.

New to USPSA, my scores suggest a solid "D" shooter, about 30%. So I started to figure out a training plan to get to "B" in ~12 months. Then I realized that while a "B" shooter is great, in comparison, I was just setting myself up for failure both technically and spiritually.

While I love shooting, I really love my son and wife, and would love to have a job, and would love to have all the things around the house done that need doing. It's not that I'm being nagged; far from it. My family supports me as I support them but bad stewardship has been catching up to me. There are lots of "projects" that I've started but not finished as I run off to start a new project.

First time poster here. Good thoughts, Leam & others. Thanks.

I'm a long-time competitive cyclist just entering "semi-retirement" for many of the same reasons articulated by Leam. I love to shoot, too, and will be start shooting in local IDPA matches shortly. I see a lot of parallels between riding and shooting, and hope some of the lessons learned in my cycling career carry over. For example, never an elite rider, going pro was way way down the line. More than likely, I had no real aspirations of going pro, and I eventually learned it was pointless spending time thinking about that or training to that end. As Frank Hanenkrat points out in his book, The New Position Rifle Shooting, to do so is not visualization, but fantasy, since it didn't involve working and improving on areas within my current competency. On the other hand, visualization can help meet those goals that are attainable.

When I look back on my cycling career, the biggest things, then that slowed my improvement were too much fantasy and too much ego.