Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whats Is The #1 Thing That Slows Up Improvement

Flyin40

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because you know it doesn't mean you can do it. What I'm talking about is understanding it in your mind. To physically be able to perform that technique is a whole different thing.

The reason that it's so hard to connect what the mind has identified with, and calls "knowledge", to what the body can perform is really quite simple. Your mind is not you. Your mind is just like any other organ of your body, it has its uses, like remembering to only put fully loaded magazinzes back on your belt. :lol: But, it's only a tool. The "ego" is the voice of the mind that constantly screams, "I'm in charge here!!! With out ME you are nothing!!!". Who you really are has nothing more to do with your mind than it does with your shoe-size.

This is why there are so many good books titled "The inner game of this or that". People are sniffing around this truth as it relates to golf, or tennis, or shooting, and maybe not fully committing to it in every moment of their existence. When they are not shooting, not golfing, not playing tennis.....

Find the inner man. This is the real you. This concept is simple, but not easy. "The spirit is willing, but the flesh (mind) is weak." Most people have not developed the ability to "turn-off their mind", because they are totally identified with it most of the time. The inner man is the eternal spiritual nature that the Creator instilled in each of us when we were conceived. It's the being in our existence. It is our true life.

So, you might ask, what has all of this spiritual mumbo-jumbo got to do with shooting?

What has shooting got to do with life?

I don't think this is ever intentional - there comes a time when you think you know what you need to know and for whatever reason you stop paying attention.

When I am on the right track to begin with (I have direction and I am developing proper technique), not paying attention is a real killer. Unfortunately, I think the vast majority of brass that hits the ground is a result of just shooitng on auto pilot.

1. Not analyzing your practice. Break your practice session down into small chunks with each bite sized portion devoted to a specific technique. Continually analyze every step of what you are doing. If you make a change in your technique to see what happens, follow through and analyze exactly what happened with the outcome and figure out if and how the outcome changed BECAUSE of your new change. Even talk to yourself out loud. Screw the other guys on the range that now think you're nuts. Keep talking to yourself like you are an instructor/mentor helping a student.

2. Practicing too fast...all the time. You certainly should try a few runs at max-plus speeds but during practice, start slow, practice at an in control speed for most of the session, and only max a few times near the end. End your practice thinking smooth, precise, accurate, anything positive and 100% in control.

3. Only practicing full stages all the time. A match is just a series of tricks put up by the course designer to find flaws in your fundamentals. A lot of people just set up a 20-30 round stage and run it ten times for practice. They do this every time they practice. They may be learning great foot work but they are missing out on a lot of potential improvement on the most important parts of their game - the fundamentals. There isn't a single shooter in the world that has perfect fundamentals - everyone has room to improve.

4. Only practicing what we're good at and can already shoot well. If you are a great field course shooter but dread standards and most classifiers because they are stand-n-shoot stages, try to practice at least a little bit of accuracy work during your practice. Even if you just shoot 30 shots as perfectly as you can taking as much time as you need every time you practice, you will see quick improvement. Make a game out of it. Put ten of those rarely used white pasters on a target and finish your session by shooting three rounds at each paster. Chart your progress day to day. This builds confidence as well. If you can't honestly tell yourself that you could make every single a-zone hit in a match given enough time then you will not have the confidence to win the match against good shooters.

5. Not understanding how the mind works. There's you, your mind, and your subconscious. You can talk logically to your mind but you have to show things to your subconscious. Your subconscious isn't stupid though. It's like your dog. Spot doesn't know what you are saying when you praise him for being a good dog but he does know what you mean because you are showing him by the tone of your voice. Be nice to your subconscious and praise it when you perform well during a match. Don't beat it up when you do poorly though. Positive reinforcement only - just like Spot.

OK, so that's five things. What can I say? It's 3 a.m.! Number one is the most important though.

1.  Not analyzing your practice.

2.  Practicing too fast...all the time. 

3.  Only practicing full stages all the time. 

4.  Only practicing what we're good at and can already shoot well.

As Piano Teacher said... Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect, imperfect practice continues the imperfection...

(I still don't play the piano... :P )

Do you ever notice that if your subconscious really knows how to do something you may have trouble explaining to someone else how to do it. (Like double picking a string, or holding up a stopped motorcycle...)

• 4 weeks later...

Our Temperament influences even the ability to comprehend the fundamentals, and apply them in both principle and technique. From the first and in the end, how we approach a problem is what's most important.

How did you go about learning to shoot? What motivated you?

be

So What is "the Trick" to turning off your mind on demand?

To short circuit the thinking, calculating, trying mind, probably the most effective trick is to focus 100% of your attention on something specific. I was gonna type some more, but now I want to ask - what does that mean to you? Maybe list examples.

be

So What is "the Trick" to turning off your mind on demand?

To short circuit the thinking, calculating, trying mind, probably the most effective trick is to focus 100% of your attention on something specific. I was gonna type some more, but now I want to ask - what does that mean to you? Maybe list examples.

be

I tried to find the topic but couldn't, this was discussed recently.

This nailed it. The more things I try to think about the less confidence I have. When your not sure you don't execute. I try to find that one thing that I can say to myself that allow everything to flow together and make it smooth. I have been experimenting with "see the dot" for a while now.

When I tell myself "See the Dot" these are some things that happen

If I tell myself to see the dot I see it on the A zone

If I tell myself to see the dot I finish the shot

If I tell myself to see the dot I'm smooth

If I tell myself to see the dot I don't rush

If I tell myself to see the dot I'm not worried about how other people shot the stage

If I tell myself to see the dot I can call my shots

If I tell myself to see the dot I transition between targets smoothly

If I tell myself to see the dot I stay relaxed

If I tell myself to see the dot I don't have to make up shots

Some negative things that happen when I tell myself to see the dot

I do not attack stages(I figured this out at Area 5) Once I look back at other matches is became painfully obvious. Its almost like I became sluggish sometimes.

I don't run the stage how I figured it out in the walk through. I don't hit spots perfectly. I found when I focus on how to shoot the stage correctly I nail it. I hit every spot, reload at the right place but end up rushing my shots.

This could take another yr or longer to find out what gives me that peace of mind but at the same time allows me to execute all the fundementals and still be aggressive.

When BE said focus on a specific thing I think the word focus is somewhat of a strong word for this. Focus implies alot of energy going into this. Its a focus but very little mental effort going into. When I say "see the dot" I'm trying to empty my mind of everything else. Its something that calms me down, relaxes me but at the same time allow me to execute that stage.

It could be anything. This is one of those trial and error things. It could be one word or a couple. It could be as simple as telling yourself to empty your mind or whatever.

Should be some good replies on this one.

Great post BE

Flyin40

Edited by Flyin40

Well BE. Iam not sure what it means to me. I have read your Book now five time from cover to cover and find something "new" in it ever time. I know you say there is to much going on to Focus on one thing. and Lanny says to think about postive so no negative thoughts can accure When I am relaxed and have a good run Iam not thinking really about anything. but lately I have been practicing and have learned that my stance was poor and could be improved by more bend in my knees and keeping my back straight and my arms need to be a little more straight and my index more aligned with my shoulders, so now I screwed up my whole shooting, thinking about one or all of those things when I shoot and can't seem to just turn it off and just SHOOT! so what are you getting at SHould I just say to myself relax... Relax or see the sight....see the sight and concentrate on that? or nothing at all?

Its kinda of like when you can't go to sleep and the more you TRY to go to sleep the more awake you are or the less chance you have of going to sleep.

Edited by scorch

Some negative things that happen when I tell myself to see the dot.

I do not attack stages(I figured this out at Area 5)  Once I look back at other matches is became painfully obvious.  Its almost like I became sluggish sometimes.

I don't run the stage how I figured it out in the walk through.  I don't hit spots perfectly.  I found when I focus on how to shoot the stage correctly I nail it.  I hit every spot, reload at the right place but end up rushing my shots.

This could take another yr or longer to find out what gives me that peace of mind but at the same time allows me to execute all the fundementals and still be aggressive.

Every positive and negative thing you said makes total sense. This is often the outcome of directing all of your attention onto one aspect of what you will see and do. Like onto the dot, or the front sight, or the target. Some things improve, and others don't or get worse.

On attacking - visually rehearse everything you will see and do in real time. Shooting IPSC is a matter of shooting accurately and quickly while not hurrying. So for most scenarios, during the rehearsal process, some attention should be given to the speed at which you will see and move. What worked for me was to rehearse the rhythm of how it feels to shoot the stage.

On not hitting spots perfectly - That is common with a single-pointed, visual focus. There simply enough attention left over to be aware of what your body is doing. Not that you always need to be aware of where your feet are, but sometimes it is a good thing.

When BE said focus on a specific thing I think the word focus is somewhat of a strong word for this.  Focus implies alot of energy going into this.  Its a focus but very little mental effort going into.  When I say "see the dot" I'm trying to empty my mind of everything else.  Its something that calms me down, relaxes me but at the same time allow me to execute that stage.

That makes sense. I think we're saying the same thing differently.

It could be anything.  This is one of those trial and error things.  It could be one word or a couple.  It could be as simple as telling yourself to empty your mind or whatever.

As the years went by, my performance in competition improved along with my ability to visualize every detail of everything I would see - in real time - as I shot the stage. But there was more to it than just creating the perfect visual movie. I also learned to rehearse how I was going to feel while shooting the stage. (For years I've tried to come up with a good word that combines visual imaging with the bodies feeling, but I still don't have one.) I learned to not construct a single thing I was going to do with thought. For everything I was going to do - I'd find a way to see it visually or feel it in my body. Then at the beep, you not only start the movie but you feel the movie - a little above a point right between your eyes.

be

But lately I have been practicing and have learned that my stance was poor and could be improved by more bend in my knees and keeping my back straight and my arms need to be a little more straight and my index more aligned with my shoulders, so now I screwed up my whole shooting, thinking about one or all of those things when I shoot and can't seem to just turn it off and just SHOOT! so what are you getting at SHould I just say to myself relax... Relax or see the sight....see the sight and concentrate on that? or nothing at all?

That's a natural part of the learning curve. If you don't have every part of your body's position perfected, you'll struggle until you do so. It takes quite awhile for technique changes to work themselves from dry practice, to the practice range, and finally into a match. If you're ever thinking about anything technique oriented in competition, you'll probably be shooting poorly.

So dry fire the crap out your body position changes. Then practice them at the range until you don't have to think about them any longer. Now, you're at a the apex of the learning curve. (Sorry, couldn't resist a road racing comparison.) ;) Where should I direct my attention in the match? On the fundamentals, or on my technique changes?

Here's where a fundamental difference between practice and competition surfaces. In practice, we seldom practice visualizing. But in a match, our visual, creative skills must be perfected because in essence - that's all there is. Once the buzzer goes off - you have one chance to do it right. No time for experimenting and no time for thinking. It better have been properly planned or it's not going to happen.

So, preparing to shoot a stage, since you have time to rehearse want you want to happen, spend some of that time and attention on visualizing the new changes (that are happening in practice but not yet in competition). Along with the other visual and bodily inputs you're learning to program. But then at the buzzer, especially if you've changed more than one thing, I found it was best to direct my attention onto the fundamentals. Almost always, you'll shoot better in a match if you're attention is used up by some aspect of what is fundamental - finding the target, or knowing that the gun is pointed at the target until it fired.

Working with it like this, I think you'll find the changes just start appearing on their own (in the match).

be

BE

"Shooting IPSC is a matter of shooting accurately and quickly while not hurrying"

I really like how this sounds. This makes sense. You shed some more light on my visual patience problem. A new way of viewing it. Do the things that make you shoot accurately while being quick but without hurrying/rushing. You can be quick without hurrying.

I'll have to put some thought into this. I never looked at it that way, Feeling what the stage would be like. There are so many variables in shooting from one match to the next that once you find that one thing that allows to place yourself in the correct mindset something will come up that will throw it out of whack. "see the dot" has been the best thing I have come across for myself at this point. It could easily be something different next yr based on what I learn and how view things. I don't think it will end up being one constant but its an ever evolving thing. As we change we view things differenlty and this has a direct result on how I look at and understand "see the dot". As I progress through learning how to call shots everytime my definition of "seeing the dot" is changing. If it continues the way it has been going I'm already aware that I'll need to change my phrase or words.

I'm off to Tennesee staying in the mountains for the rest of the week. I'll be thinking about this. Very interesting.

Flyin40

Edited by Flyin40

OK, very good BE. never though about using the visluazition to help with the new techniques come along quicker and i'll try that this week and at a major match that iam going to this weekened.

I dry fire quite a bit but I have a fundemental problem that is driving me crazy. I dry fire at home in our spare bedroom. Mostly I work on my draw since "friends" have told be I have a "very deliberate draw" read-slow (1.8-1.7-AUGH! and I am A limited)

I start out slow and work down to around 1 sec making sure I have a good sight picture and do everthing correct. I am like clock work at the house. I go to the range and try to dry fire some before shooting and I can't hit one draw correct or fast, and is worst when the gun is loaded. I start out slow work down and still can't draw at the range, when I am thinking about it. practice at the range is furstating. Might be my past training catching up with me... in the last 6 years, I have shot, all my practice was at club matches. Any suggestions?

One Other question is are you "THINKING/ ANALIZING" when you practice or do you just go out and just shoot some to get the "feel for it"?

Edited by scorch

Sounds like your mentally approaching the two things differently. What do you tell yourself during dryfire??? What do you tell yourself in practice at the range.

Maybe try going to the range and not worry about time at all. Just try to hit some smooth draws.

List on some paper the things you tell yourself while you dryfire. The things that stick out and keep your focused mentally during dryfire. Take that list to the range to make sure your preparing yourself the same way. You can always refer back to the list when you have trouble. When you get to practice is so easy to start working on one thing and end up working on 5 different things at once.

Flyin40

In dry Fire I am relaxed and I don't think anything just blank, at the range I don't think about anything either but I "feel" anxious (spelling) and that seams to mess with me bad. I don't know why, i feel that way. Only thing i can can think of is that i am "TRYING" and not "BELIVING" or something. I know its mental. but don't have any IDEA what to do to work on it.

I have smooth draws they are 1.8-1.9 i am giving up the house with those draws in A class

I'll try to pay more attetion to what iam thinking at the house but i don't think iam THINKING at the house

Edited by scorch

I think structure in practice is important but sometimes go to the range, no timer, no plan and just shoot. If you relax and really start feeling what's going on and really start paying attention you can learn a lot. I have made major breakthroughs with no timer or plan. Works with dry firing too.

Disclaimer: have a plan for practice for improving skill, just trying to help get past that "trying" word

Talking about focus. I saw where one person focuses on the dot. It seems to me that one would focus on the A zone of the target or whatever the target may be. Changes in the target and target placement are the major stimuli that is changing all the time in shooting. Grip, stance, trigger squeeze, seeing the sights, seeing the dot, watching the sights lift should be a function of the subconscious mind. Of course you have to move but it seems like you would rehearse this before you shoot a stage and follow your plan. So the conscious mind would see the targets and the subcounscious mind would shoot the targets.

I am still learning a lot about shooting and by no means no it all, but this is how I would look at it.

I think the thing that slows up iimprovement is not allowing the subconscious mind to do the shooting and allowing the conscious mind to second guess your shooting.

My 2 cents.

glock17w

Talking about focus.  I saw where one person focuses on the dot.  It seems to me that one would focus on the A zone of the target or whatever the target may be.  Changes in the target and target placement are the major stimuli that is changing all the time in shooting.  Grip, stance, trigger squeeze, seeing the sights, seeing the dot, watching the sights lift  should be a function of the subconscious mind.  Of course you have to move but it seems like you would rehearse this before you shoot a stage and follow your plan.  So the conscious mind would see the targets and the subcounscious mind would shoot the targets. 

I am still learning a lot about shooting and by no means no it all, but this is how I would look at it.

I think the thing that slows up iimprovement is not allowing the subconscious mind to do the shooting and allowing the conscious mind to second guess your shooting.

My 2 cents.

glock17w

Glock17w

Thats the whole point of finding something you can think of that will make the whole thing work. We are saying the same thing. When I look think to myself

"see the dot" that phrase allows my subconcious to worry about everything else. I don't have to think about shooting, fundementals or anything else. That phrase takes care of 98% of the things I need to do on a stage. Its not a cure all though.

For me focusing on the target doen't work, at all. If I focus on the target or A-zone I end up just seeing brown, any brown. When I do this my points go down. T

When I think of seeing the dot the picture that comes in my head is squeezing the trigger when the dot is dead center of the A-zone.

Were basically saying the same thing.

Good post.

I'm off to Tenn in the next hr. Until next week

Flyin40

"see the dot" has been the best thing I have come across for myself at this point.  It could easily be something different next yr based on what I learn and how view things.  I don't think it will end up being one constant but its an ever evolving thing.  As we change we view things differenlty and this has a direct result on how I look at and understand "see the dot".

+1 to that. With a scope, you might experiment with "see the target." Thinking of "see" the same as you now think of "see the dot."

be

Might be my past training catching up with me... in the last 6 years, I have shot, all my practice was at club matches. Any suggestions?

If all your "practice" was at club matches - you haven't been practicing. No wonder it's so difficult to bring technique changes into matches.

No matter how informal your club matches are - that is not practice. Practice is for experimenting, analyzing, experimenting some more - refining your skills while shooting the gun. Repeating the same drills over and over. You have one chance to execute successfully in a match. The more you practice the better your skills will become. The more you compete, the better competitor you will become.

The successful competitor has become so by perfecting his mental and physical skills in three distinct realms: Learning, practicing, and competing.

Learning consists of research, study, and dry-training all the movements and skills you'll do at the range. Practicing is taking your accumulated learning to the range - testing, observing, evaluating, and refining. Competing means taking what you've learned and practiced to the match, where you have one chance to see if it works - when you have one chance.

be