Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Edge - Lighter Recoil Spring

dstein

I remember reading somewhere here that a user replaced the stock recoil spring in his 40 S&W STI Edge with a lighter one to prevent it from nose diving after each shot.  Has anyone done this?  If so, what weight of spring (how many pounds) did you use?  Did you have to add a buffer to the guide rod?

Thanks!

12# is a good place to start for a lighter recoil spring. I know of some folks who run 10 and 11# recoil springs in theirs. I have an "Edge Like" limited gun I've been messing around with and am currently running an 11# in it....very nice with 180grn / 170ish pf loads. The front sight comes right back down on target with no dip.

2 hours ago, BillGarlandJr said:

12# is a good place to start for a lighter recoil spring. I know of some folks who run 10 and 11# recoil springs in theirs. I have an "Edge Like" limited gun I've been messing around with and am currently running an 11# in it....very nice with 180grn / 170ish pf loads. The front sight comes right back down on target with no dip.

Thanks, Bill!  Seems to be the consensus. 

11 or 12 # variable in my current gun, which has a super heavy frame and lightened slide. A stock edge may be different. I would recommend getting one of the wolff recoil calibration packs and trying them all. 

I used to run a 10# in my 6 inch gun, but that didn't feel great in my 5"