Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Local shooter offering trade...thoughts?

Blucross

Howdy all, long time lurker. I've been shooting for a yer or so, mostly in outlaw steel matches but am transitioning to USPSA competition this month. I was originally going to compete in Production with a Shadow 2, but I've got an offer for a trade on the table that has me questioning if I should take the deal. I appreciate any feedback. 

I've got a S2 Urban Gray / Black with around 100 rounds through it. He's offering his CZC Bull Shadow (Carry Optics Version) with 6k rounds through it for even trade. 

I know price wise, I would come out ahead since his gun is $800 more than mine new, and even with the wear of 6k rounds, it seems like good trade on my end (to me). I like the idea of starting off in Carry Optic too since I can focus on shooting more and reloading less. I have a DPP I would use with it. 

Anyone with knowledge of the Bull Shadow who can chime in on how it runs for carry optics? I don't have much match time in with a RDS, just using friends' here and there, I know I would need to practice acquiring the dot a lot during dry fire etc..

Also, I might be wrong, but it feels like CO might be a better starting division choice for me , production and the 10 round limit puts me off a little as a new guy. 

TL:DR Would you take the trade and run in CO division?

I'd begin by  1.  questioning how accurate his estimate of 6,000 rounds is ?     and,

2.  shooting his gun to check for accuracy and feel.

That would be where I'd start.

I am suspicious of any too good deals.

Would you rather use a gun with iron sights or a red dot for USPSA? Seems to me that's the thing you should decide to determine if you want to do this trade, and none of us can tell you which gun you'd prefer to shoot...

If you keep the Shadow 2, for your first few matches just load the mags all the way up and shoot in Limited. Not like you're going to be winning matches right away anyway and that will help with making stage planning easier with less reloads. Then once you get more comfortable, you can switch to Production.

Also, if you like the Shadow 2 then I wouldn't trade it for a gun you don't know whether you'll like, since you said you haven't shot much with a red dot. If you want to try CO, keep the Shadow 2 and also buy another gun for that 😉

I don't understand this fear of reloading or of iron sights in Production.  It's not like you'll be handicapped against others in your division.

If you're new to our sport the best you can hope for is mid pack in your division and somewhere in the 50% percentile of the overall; unless you have some insane amount of talent and experience.  A dot a full magazines aren't going to help you change those stats.

My take (and mine only):

With a Shadow 2 you have a great gun for competition particularly Production. Like someone described to me, "it's like CZ read the Production rules and built a gun around it." Like above, I would suggest starting in Limited Minor. Minor scoring won't hurt your standings. Since you can load your mags to capacity, you won't have to worry so much about reloads at first. In a way, I found planing reloads in 10 easier (reload every time you move your feet). When you get some experience behind you, move to Production. Don't get hung up on having the best gun out there. Many start with a $500 Glock so you're already ahead a bit gear wise.

My vote: no trade. Shoot what you got.

8 minutes ago, elguapo said:

I don't understand this fear of reloading or of iron sights in Production.  It's not like you'll be handicapped against others in your division.

If you're new to our sport the best you can hope for is mid pack in your division and somewhere in the 50% percentile of the overall; unless you have some insane amount of talent and experience.  A dot a full magazines aren't going to help you change those stats.

The point for most new shooters is to reduce the amount of thinking power devoted to stage planning and gun handling for the first couple matches. nobody is suggesting to be afraid of reloads or shooting production but for match 1 the less you have to think about that is not directly concerning safe gun handling  the better. As you pointed out aint nobody winning their first match so shooting limited with full mags is not going to cost you a win but it may allow you to have more fun till you learn the rest of the game.

1 hour ago, texasdawg said:

I'm not sure which divisions in uspsa the bull shadow is legal in? You might check that first if that's where you want to shoot. I loved shooting CO, but it was a gateway drug to Open for me,,,

It's Production legal. image.png.07e90855cf364216c5b090ea272f8390.png

Wow great replies, thanks everyone. 

I have no delusions about finishing anywhere above middle middle of the pack best case scenario. For now I want to get in a rhythm, find my footing and put in some time on and off the range. 

Ive got a couple pics of his gun, it looks like a tool that’s been well used, can’t fault him for that. On the other hand, my Shadow is new, I shoot well with it right out of the gate, and I hadn’t considered just shooting limited minor for now to have fun an learn the ropes. 

I think I’m just going to run the snot out of my S2 and not care so much about what division I’m in. I’ve got plenty of time to figure out where I want to be down the road.

27 minutes ago, Blucross said:

I think I’m just going to run the snot out of my S2 and not care so much about what division I’m in. I’ve got plenty of time to figure out where I want to be down the road.

Eggsalent... (Monty Burns voice)

1 hour ago, Blucross said:

That's what I would do.  I encourage you to try production if you have, or don't mind buying, enough magazines.

But I'm dumb I like doing it the hard way.