Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One Piece Sear, Will I Need a New Safety?

OPENB

Just took apart my new to me Stock II to replace springs & a very rudimentary polishing job. My last two Tanfos had the one piece sear already in them. The two piece sear is a huge PITA to reassemble. If I put in a one piece, will I need to fit a new safety, or will it drop in? My experience with 19/2011s leads me to think it’ll need fitted. 

I dropped trigger pull from 8.5# DA/5#SA to 5.75#DA/2.75SA with PD springs. It failed to fire 2 S&B primers that went off after another strike out of a 23rd. mag. 

Every gun is different due to tolerances and it depends on how safety was previously fitted. But since new gun, most likely not. I never had to get new safety going from 2 piece to 1 piece sear. You will most likely have to fit safety though.

Edited by Polymer

6 hours ago, OPENB said:

Just took apart my new to me Stock II to replace springs & a very rudimentary polishing job. My last two Tanfos had the one piece sear already in them. The two piece sear is a huge PITA to reassemble. If I put in a one piece, will I need to fit a new safety, or will it drop in? My experience with 19/2011s leads me to think it’ll need fitted. 

I dropped trigger pull from 8.5# DA/5#SA to 5.75#DA/2.75SA with PD springs. It failed to fire 2 S&B primers that went off after another strike out of a 23rd. mag. 

What hammer spring?  

By the way, 2nd strike ignition is a classic sign of primers being too high.  Ideally, they should be 0.005" to 0.008" below flush. This is Vital with weak hammer springs. And verify oal is good and crimp is consistent.  I test every round in a hundo.

PD 15.5#. Yeah, my 2nd rodeo with Tanfoglio. Not sure why I’m doing this to myself. I got into Sig 320 X5 last year for CO, and it has been 100% reliable with anything I’ve put in it. Just couldn’t get the feel of that grip out of my mind. Thanks. 

Johnbu is very correct on the making sure your primers are set below flush. I used to have some light strike issues with my stock 2 with a god know what super light spring in it. I started using winchester primers for practice and federals for matches and upped my spring to a 15# wolff spring and it sets everything off as long as its set below flush. Even the elusive CCI primers.

22 hours ago, OPENB said:

PD 15.5#. Yeah, my 2nd rodeo with Tanfoglio. Not sure why I’m doing this to myself. I got into Sig 320 X5 last year for CO, and it has been 100% reliable with anything I’ve put in it. Just couldn’t get the feel of that grip out of my mind. Thanks. 

Exact same thing here.  I wanted so bad for the X5 to work for me, but I never could get the grip to work.   The Tanfos just feels so good in your hand.