Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 brass wont engage slider

Hello, my machine has had this problem since new but has seemed to get worse lately.  About 20k on the machine,  1 in 5 times when loading at speed. 

When being guided from the case feeder to the shell plate, the brass will not go into the "guide" or slider piece. It either comes flying at me or sits on jambs op the press. 

I tried polishing the guide but possibly not enough...?

1 hour ago, John92awd said:

Hello, my machine has had this problem since new but has seemed to get worse lately.  About 20k on the machine,  1 in 5 times when loading at speed. 

When being guided from the case feeder to the shell plate, the brass will not go into the "guide" or slider piece. It either comes flying at me or sits on jambs op the press. 

I tried polishing the guide but possibly not enough...?

Put grease underneath the guide to dampen vibration so brass won’t bounce as much.

Check adjustment of the setup to get brass to drop just a tad earlier.

Are you referring to the aluminum case guide, or the shell plate itself?

I would agree with Sarge, possibly your case guide has a burr or isn't straight. (Make sure you are using the correct one too)

But if you're referring to the shell plate,  double check your index cam isn't rotating the shell plate too early or too late. That index cam on the left side of the press adjusts the timing of the shell plate rotation, and will greatly affect how well /smoothly your brass enters the depriming station out of the case feeder. Move it left or right to adjust that, then sung the bolt back down. 

Edited by Chris Keen

Just have Dillion send you a new one, problem solved.. Had a similar problem, nothing I tried work gave up and called dillon, they sent me a new one.. 15k later and still working strong.. 

I just went through this exact issue. Called Dillon. They sent a new locator and it has fixed 90% of the problem. It still launches a case every once in a while. I'll try putting some grease under the guide as Sarge suggested.

• 2 months later...

As I indicated early when I replaced the station 1 locator it helped but did not completely solve my similar problem.

I disassembled the case insert slide assembly, #97082, and realized there was significant internal wear to the slide portion of that unit.

It was not visible externally.

I replaced it with a spare and my case insertion issues have completely gone away.

On 8/2/2019 at 9:27 PM, John92awd said:

To update: I called dillon and they told me that its probably the brass I'm using. I'm using mixed brass.

I guess if you use mixed brass, you have to deal with very poor case insertion...

I would spin the Dillon CS wheel again.  All I use is mixed brass and don't have the issue you're dealing with. 

On 8/2/2019 at 8:27 PM, John92awd said:

To update: I called dillon and they told me that its probably the brass I'm using. I'm using mixed brass.

I guess if you use mixed brass, you have to deal with very poor case insertion...

Call back.

One guy will barely give you the time of day. The next one will happily throw parts at you and talk for ten minutes.

On 8/2/2019 at 8:27 PM, John92awd said:

To update: I called dillon and they told me that its probably the brass I'm using.

There are many people who use mixed brass and your issue has seldom if ever been i.d. as a problem, at least not here at BE.  Basic steps with any Dillon problem is clean, lube, tune (including replacing worn parts).

On 8/2/2019 at 7:27 PM, John92awd said:

Yeah I don't buy that at all. That's news to all that use mixed range brass. I'd call back and talk to a different agent. 

3 hours ago, John92awd said:

I called back to dillon, Got an awesome rep on the phone, very helpful. I now have a locator and slider in the mail!

That's great. I'm going to bet that does the trick.

Interesting how much difference it can make in just who your rep is on any given phone call. I've had similar experiences. The vast majority have been positive but there have been a couple of clunkers over the years.