Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cutting down a DAA belt

rustychev

My DAA belt is getting significantly to big as I have lost about 30lbs and I and aiming for another 25 or 30.  Has anyone cut down a outer belt and if so would super glue melting the cut end keep it from unraveling?  I would like to avoid buying a new belt until I get down to my target weight but I now have so much over lap that the side that goes under is closer to my gun than the zipper on my pants and the over side is right up to my first mag pouch.  This is on a single stack rig.

Edited by rustychev

congratulations on the weight loss! :cheers: Keep up the good work. I used to make my own scuba harnesses out of nylon straps. Mild use of a propane torch stopped any fraying. I have used it on CR speed belts. Not overly pretty but effective. Go slowly... 😉

I cut one and then use a propane lighter to seal the edge. It hasn’t frayed at all. I also had some leather gloves on so I can press the edge while it was still soft and pliable after the propane lighter burning/sealing.

3 minutes ago, George16 said:

I cut one and then use a propane lighter to seal the edge. It hasn’t frayed at all. I also had some leather gloves on so I can press the edge while it was still soft and pliable after the propane lighter burning/sealing.

This. It works great.

Use a cutting disc on a grinder or in a dremel. The friction melts the plastic solid, and it applies pressure smoothly - rather than a saw blade scrubbing back and forth encouraging it to fray.

I use a pair of tin snips in cutting mine. It cut through the nylon stiffener like butter.

edit - congrats on your weight loss. That’s also the reason why I had to cut down mine. Went from 178 to 159 lbs after retiring..Frozen fruit smoothie with a scoop of protein powder for breakfast every instead of my usual bacon and eggs plus gym time 3-4 times a week.

Edited by George16

• 4 years later...

Those ways still work.  Another option is a hot knife-- The DIY is take a knife (regular blunt dinner knife works) your other half won't come looking for later and you don't care about. heat the blade up up red hot and (using gloves), cut through the belt.  Cuts and seals all in one.

I've found a new razor blade in a utility knife cuts through the nylon while also scoring the plastic inner part of the belt enough to be able to snap it cleanly, followed by a torch on the end and some epoxy for good measure.