Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm COL with Gallent bullets

Swiley383

Just got some 125 grain Gallent bullets and the have to be loaded in 1.09-1.10 range to plunk. The only data I have for the powders I have on hand with this COL is Accurate #5. I also have Unique and , powerPistol andHP -38 on hand but the minimum COL is 1.13. Would I be safe using the data for 1.13COL as long as I do a work up load? I know COL affects 9mm pressure quite a bit. 

I've always assumed the pressure cause/effect to be related to the percent fill for a given caliber/powder (and grains of course).   A bullet needing to be loaded that short is probably stubby and likely shorter that the bullet profile tested at 1.13".  Do that math in additional to working up a load.

My gallant 147s rn are i believe .657 loaded to 1.120. Bullet depth .283. Only did testing so far as i have 3,000 more on the way. But seemed fine with 3.1 3.2 3.3 grains of sport pistol. I asked for a measurement of the flat nose but never got it so went ahead with the semi short oal for xdm 5.25

Thanks I will load some up with Unique and some HP-38 as soon as I can. Probably be next weekend and one I get a chance to fire them I will update everyone. Already loaded a few with Accurate #5. I was hoping to shoot them today but it’s raining. I will keep you guys updated. Again thanks 

@Swiley383 You will be fine loading minor loads to that OAL, but are you sure it's the projectile depth that is causing them to not plunk? My load with the older profile was 1.13 and I have had no issues loading to that length with the new profile. This is in a CZ, which generally require shorter loads. I would double check your crimp die to make sure it has not backed out.