Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer read question for 9mm reloading

xcutter45

Have loaded for bullseye 35+ years and IPSC/USPSA .45 Major long ago as well...no issues...recently got a XDm 9mm 5.25 to shoot and am working on a minor level load for it...147 SNS coated round nose, 3.1 gr. Sport Pistol, Fed. 100 match (all I had on hand), 1.135" COAL, Winchester once fired brass...by all accounts that I can research, a sensible load...test fired 10 rounds today, 900 fps. avge. vel. (130 PF M.O.L.), very consistent & appears very accurate...question is primers are definitely flat...no signs of cratering, etc. and some slight radius to the outside edge remains but definitely flat...figuring this is somewhat normal for 9mm as it is a different animal  and primer flatness is only one aspect of pressure but wondering what those knowledgeable could offer re the normality of this...BTW, just a very small touch of taper crimp as a final operation following seating...everything seems good to go sans the flattened primers...any thoughts appreciated...Thanks,  Jerry

AHI,  Thanks, yes I do know Fed. 100 GM`s are softer, that`s why I mentioned it...I suspected it might be a cause...I use them for BE & PPC revolver for that very reason...they are very reliable with lighter reduced hammer strikes in those target guns...I do plan on getting something else for the 9mm  loads , likely WSP`s as you suggest...if that`s all it is, I`d be happy, as I think it`s a very good load otherwise...thanks for the response

I have found this ONLY with 9x19.

If you start very low, you will find flattened primers. If you work the load up, the primers stop flattening and return to normal. If you exceed max,  primers will again flattened, this time indicating pressure problems

I have been called names and my technique insulted, but that is what I have seen. Only thought I have is the huge headspace gap with so many 9x19 cases being so short, that the primer actually gets pushed far out of the case with the low pressure not slamming the case head back against the breech as fast and the "reseating" of the primer when the pressure pushes the case head back flattens it.

As I said, only seen it with 9x19.

Work up your load, sort and use the longest cases, or ignore it.

Also, I have found that accuracy really improves if I sort sized 9x19 cases. The longer cases give better accuracy than the short ones. Or, I use a L-SWC and use COL to shorten the head space gap, just like my .45s.

If I had a real accurate 9x19, I would trim 9x21 cases to match that gun's headspace...