Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken hammer

1911Prof

Well after a few inexplicable light strikes, my 929 stopped working completely, barely striking the primer.  Initially I thought it was the firing pin, but it turned out to be the hammer.  Is this ever typical?

2BECD716-8EB9-4A11-B72A-CD7BE06F0249.jpeg

Edited by 1911Prof

Wow! What would possibly cause the hammer to break like that? How damaging is dry fire with out snap caps?
Probably a small defect in the steel reated a stress riser causing it to crack.
Dry fire should be no issue without snap caps should be able to do hundreds of thousands of cycles.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I hope this is the answer to a nagging problem with intermittent light strikes that I have had for a while.  I put the original, (now carmonized) hammer back in the gun, and it runs like a top.  I had a few again right before the hammer completely gave way so now, fingers crossed, that problem is solved too.  Just as a side note, do we owe Carmoney royalty every time we say that? 

Now you just have to say (generic) reduced weight hammer...

Just kidding. I don't think Mike cares if someone says "Carmonized" hammer. He is justifiably proud of this contribution to the revo world and should be remembered for it.

2 hours ago, 1911Prof said:

Well, got off the phone with Apex and they are sending me a new hammer kit.  They are great people to deal with.  

I had no doubt that Randy would take care of this.

Edited by Gregg K