Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger Dry Fire Drills and Printed Par Times

anonymouscuban

Hey all,

So I follow Stoeger's dry fire training book. For the next couple of weeks, I'm focused on two drills:

Reload Component Drill - Listed Part Time 1.0 sec

Start with pistol aimed at target. At buzzer, eject and reload. Get the pistol back up with sight picture on target. 

Transition Component Drill - Listed Part Time 1.6 sec

Start with hands at sides. At buzzer, draw and engage 3 targets with two rounds each. Targets at 10 yards, a yards apart. 

So my question is, what level shooter are these part times based on?

Although I've improved substantially, these part times seem superhuman to me.  My par times for each are 1.4 and 2.3 seconds respectively. Those times are repeatable, clean results. I can squeeze maybe a tenth or two more in speed mode but I feel very rushed and it's not repeatable or clean. I mean, I lose about a couple tenths of second just reacting to the buzzer. 

By the way, I'm shooting production with a CZ SP-01 so no magwell. 

I believe those were for aspiring GMs.  As said, just keep at it.  Film yourself and watch for inefficient movements.  You eventually get to a point where you can no longer move the body any faster , but you can be more efficient.  For example, My draws were terribly slow although my hands were moving super fast.  It wasn’t until I figured out that I was doing a lot of extra movements did I reduce my times.  Especially on moderate transitions (not this drill), did I figure out jerking my body to the next target wasn’t the most efficient way to do a transition.

I figure these are GM level times but wanted to confirm. As I mentioned, I have already seen dramatic improvement in my times but also my repeatability with doing these dry fire drills. I know I still have much room to improve, I just wanted to get some perspective on the par times listed.

The Reload Component drill has a micro drill where you do the Burkett Load. Haven't tried the micro drills but will add them as warm up.

Thanks guys.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thats it 
Cool. I will definitely begin adding the 2 micro drills into my routine. Maybe breaking the reload into two components and focusing on each separately will make it easier to improve each, so then improving the whole.

As someone else said, film yourself.  You are probably moving much slower than you think you are.  Set par times and work towards beating them.  You aren't going to do 1 second reloads consistently over night, don't set that expectation, set expectations that you can meet and keep that confidence.  If you are at 1.4 set a goal for 1.3 by the end of the week.  The following week shoot for 1.2. 

Nobody says this, and I wish they would, but the journey where you constantly screw up and figure out what works is part of what makes you a better shooter.  As you figure things out, you will start to self analyze; the ability to do that is invaluable.  I know it's frustrating, but know that that day where something clicks and you discover a little nugget that improves you .1 is making you a much better shooter than that time shows.

23 hours ago, chenault said:

As someone else said, film yourself.  You are probably moving much slower than you think you are.  Set par times and work towards beating them.  You aren't going to do 1 second reloads consistently over night, don't set that expectation, set expectations that you can meet and keep that confidence.  If you are at 1.4 set a goal for 1.3 by the end of the week.  The following week shoot for 1.2. 

Nobody says this, and I wish they would, but the journey where you constantly screw up and figure out what works is part of what makes you a better shooter.  As you figure things out, you will start to self analyze; the ability to do that is invaluable.  I know it's frustrating, but know that that day where something clicks and you discover a little nugget that improves you .1 is making you a much better shooter than that time shows.

I really hadn’t heard that before, but that is a great way of putting itI really hadn’t heard that before, but that is a great way of putting it

Sub 1.0s reloads are very doable with a couple weeks of practice as long as you pay attention to excessive tension and body movement as well as the speed with which you are doing the independent parts of the reload (dropping the mag and positioning the pistol with strong hand, and grabbing/indexing the new mag with the weak hand). When ever I am working on my draw or reloads I do a couple very slow iterations just to focus on the movement. For reloads I also do a couple iterations where I just drop the mag on the buzzer and then just grab the new mag. It helps to break everything apart so you can focus on just one movement at a time. If you are stuck at 1.4s reloads I can almost guarantee you that you are not moving your weak hand to the mag pouch with any urgency. 

Make sure you are always pushing yourself. Get solid reps in at a repeatable par time, but then do a couple reps where your focus is just going fast, then when you back off a little it should feel much more manageable (think about how fast it feels to drive 45mph when you have been driving in a 25mph neighborhood versus how slow it feels to go 45 when you have been driving on a 70mph highway). For you that may mean setting the timer to 1.1 for a few reps and then throttling back to 1.3. Once 1.3 feels comfortable, try 1.0 and then throttle back to 1.2, etc.

2 hours ago, regor said:

Sub 1.0s reloads are very doable with a couple weeks of practice as long as you pay attention to excessive tension and body movement as well as the speed with which you are doing the independent parts of the reload (dropping the mag and positioning the pistol with strong hand, and grabbing/indexing the new mag with the weak hand). When ever I am working on my draw or reloads I do a couple very slow iterations just to focus on the movement. For reloads I also do a couple iterations where I just drop the mag on the buzzer and then just grab the new mag. It helps to break everything apart so you can focus on just one movement at a time. If you are stuck at 1.4s reloads I can almost guarantee you that you are not moving your weak hand to the mag pouch with any urgency. 

Make sure you are always pushing yourself. Get solid reps in at a repeatable par time, but then do a couple reps where your focus is just going fast, then when you back off a little it should feel much more manageable (think about how fast it feels to drive 45mph when you have been driving in a 25mph neighborhood versus how slow it feels to go 45 when you have been driving on a 70mph highway). For you that may mean setting the timer to 1.1 for a few reps and then throttling back to 1.3. Once 1.3 feels comfortable, try 1.0 and then throttle back to 1.2, etc.

I feel like a couple weeks would be really impressive. Some people never get to 1 second reloads.

Anyways, getting from 1.5 seconds to 1.2 seconds was relatively easy for me as the speed came from just moving the support hand to the mag faster. Trying to push any speed faster than this and my reloads fall apart. Mags fly across the room, feed lips jam into the frame of my gun etc. I think it will likely be months before I ever see a sub second reload.

• 2 weeks later...

So I thought I would update you all on progress since you guys really stepped in with encouraging words and tips.

Today, I was able to hit 1.1 sec par time on about 7 out of 10 reloads. 1.2 sec I can hit consistently now. If you recall, I was at 1.4 when I made this post.

Couple of things I did that I think helped. First, I replaced my mag release with a Shadow 2 mag release. I think that shaved at least 1/10th off my time at least. I no longer have to adjust my grip slightly to reach it with the stock SP01 release.

The other thing I did that I think helped is incorporating the Burkett load. Breaking the movement down into individual components and practicing each helped to really fine tune my movements.

Lastly, I worked in slower reloads as well. What I did was start with a 2 sec par time. Run 2 sets at that time. Reduce by a tenth, run 2 sets. Rinse and repeat until I hit the point where I'm sloppy. Then back it up and practice at that time for a few sets. This has helped me stay relaxed it seems. When I tense up, it all goes to s#!t. LOL

On 4/2/2019 at 8:17 PM, anonymouscuban said:

So my question is, what level shooter are these part times based on?

Although I've improved substantially, these part times seem superhuman to me.

They are based on being a Grand Master.  He tell you so himself in the book.  He also explains why.