Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Changing Scaled Dryfire Targets

scgun

hello everyone,

is it recommended to use different scaled dry fire target for the drills?

or just use the smallest one for best benefit?

e.g.

1/2 targets for el prez (focus on speed)

1/6 target for trigger and front sight practice 

20 hours ago, scgun said:

hello everyone,

is it recommended to use different scaled dry fire target for the drills?

or just use the smallest one for best benefit?

e.g.

1/2 targets for el prez (focus on speed)

1/6 target for trigger and front sight practice 

I would recommend using the largest dryfire target that your space allows. Practice on targets that most closely approximate live fire.  Using 1/6 targets for drills with movement is not ideal--the distance changes too quickly with limited movement. I use full size targets to simulate 10 yds and closer, 1/2 for 10-20, 1/3 for 20+. Unless your space is very tight, avoid 1/6 targets

Smaller scaled targets also present another problem- if they’re too small, it becomes difficult to distinguish the scoring areas and more tempting to treat them as pass/fail like you would a steel. You can avoid this by being disciplined in evaluating your accuracy but it’s a potential pitfall. 

I would use the largest target that lets you simulate the distance you need for a given drill in the space you have available.

I used different scale targets depending on how much I have to practice. Since I have mine pasted on the wall by the formal dining room which extends to the living room, I use mostly 1/3 scale targets so I can see the scoring areas clearly. The only time I used a 1/6 scale target is when I simulate 50 yards.

I too use the largest targets the space allows. Shooting small close targets allows you to focus on the target, but to see the sights in a clear focus at the same time. This is not realistic, I use reduced targets on the wall behind my full-size ones to simulate additional distance.

• 2 weeks later...

I only have about 15 feet to use but I still use the 1/3 paper target for almost everything. If I need to simulate a tough shot I would rather use a mini popper, paster, or a tight no shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk