Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mbx vs STI gen 2 mags

Dane460

I liked the way the TTI spring, follower and pad worked that I ordered two more sets.  The only change this time was I ordered 7G2 pads instead of the 4G2.  I shoot Open so I don't have a 140mm limit.  With the 4G2 I can fir 24, but 23 reloadable.  With the 7G2 pad it is 25 and 24.  I'm happy with the Gen2/TTI setup, but I still like the MBX mags better.

I have SV mags, STI gen2 mags, and MBX mags. They all work as long as you have them tuned right. Yes the sti mags need tuned when you get them. The mbx mags were good to go right away. But after a few months they all need retuned anyway so to me it’s not a big deal. My most recent mags are the STI mags because they are a better deal after their price drop. 

On 3/26/2019 at 10:39 AM, Jfitz427 said:

Actually, going with sti gen 2s plus basepads and springs and followers is considerably cheaper then mbx mags. Mbx mags are 130 for a 140mm. Or 50 for gen 2 mag, 30 for basepad and 20 for the guts. So 100 total, 30 bucks cheaper then mbx. Over a set of 10; it’s a considerable amount of money. 

I really like the new sti mags a lot. Especially for 40, they just work great. But With 9 they sometimes need some tweaking. The double to single transition is a bit wide from the factory and it causes the rounds to stack wrong, and you get a big gap between the first and second round in the mag. And this causes rounds to nose dive. They come around .620-.630, and they need to be brought down to about .560-.570, one inch down the tube. It’s pretty simple to do. And after this they go from about 95% reliably, to 100%. But even then I still trust my mbx more. They have the dimensions right, and they stack up neatly and are just very reliable. So I practice with sti and shoot matches with mbx. 

This has been my experience with 9mm mags as well

a, I've run the same MBX springs and followers in my mags for the last two seasons without changing any of them.  How is it yours wear out so quickly?

I've run my Gen 2 9mm mags for a couple of SCSA matches and one USPSA matches.  They did not need tuning or squeezing the body.  My only gripe is that loading them with an Uplula is a pain.  I enlarged the yoke, so the mags don't stick anymore, but you have to hold the round down and in when releasing, because the loading bar has a tendency to pull the round out of the mag.  No such problems with the MBX mags.

• 1 month later...
On 3/25/2019 at 10:59 PM, Dane460 said:

Recently bought an mbx mag and love it but I see the STI gen 2 mag now looks similar and doesn’t run a spacer anymore either. Anyone have experience with the new gen 2 STI mags?? Tryin to decide on more mbx mags or try the gen 2s

I started with sti gen 2 170mm mags hand no luck with them plus I suck at turning mags. So I went with mbx 170mm never had a problem runs 100% I hope they stay the same for a long time. And have 140mm sti gen 2 mags ran flawless... 

I have found ,at least in my open gun, the MBX mags are more forgiving when doing a fast reload. The STI I have had a few jams if not lined up correctly.

I know  it has a lot to do with certain mag well also.