Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommended Books

BOISCOID

What are some of your recommended books?   I have "Practical Shooting, Beyond Fundamentals" by Brian Enos on order and inquiring about any other suggestions.

Is there any other writings that are highly regarded for USPSA/IPSC akin to how "Longrange Shooting Handbook" by Ryan Cleckner is  PRS/NRL?

I’ve also read “Thinking Practical Shooting” which I thought was excellent. I have Ben’s dryfire and skills/drills books. Both are great for that purpose. I have all 3 Steve Anderson books. I use refinement and repetition for dry fire drills but got a lot out of “get to work”. There are a lot of drills in there too but reading it gave me a new perspective of thinking about how to get more points per second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have Brian's book. Also 3 books by Ben Stoeger - Practical Shooting, Skills & Drills, and Dry Fire Training. Ben's books do a great job of giving both live and dry fire drills along with goals it takes to make GM. I also have a book by Saul Kirsch - Perfect Practice, that does a real good job. All are recommended. I have the first dry fire book by Steve Anderson, but I like Ben's books better.

• 1 month later...

Ben Stoegers dry and live fire books got me to GM. He really makes the goals seem achievable. Also, “with winning in mind” is a must. Gets your head right for not only practice, but game day. 

Steve Anderson is legit also. 

• 1 year later...

I keep going back to Brian's book every so often, and find stuff I wasn't ready for yet, on rereading sections. I prefer the more Zen approach there to most of the others I've read, although Ben Stoeger's books have a lot of merit. I will add one more to the list that I found to help foster a useful attitude: " Mastery" by George Leonard. 

• 4 weeks later...

Ben Stoeger’s book match mentality is great for someone just starting in this sport like myself. A lot of truths in the book that might upset some people but it’s definitely a book I’d recommend

• 1 year later...

While not exactly along the lines of competition, I’ve found Bill Jordan’s “No Second Place Winner” to be enlightening commentary on mentality and real-world situations (ya know, that “practical” word that seems to have subsided in importance in some competition). One of the earliest widespread texts on gun fighting and it’s written by a world class exhibition shooter. It is also educational to see what gear and technique has stood the test of time.

• 2 months later...