Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spook Does Good At World Shoot

hopalong

Congratulations go out to Bjorn Dietrick AKA SPOOK on these forums.

Spook managed to really pressure Jerry and Richardo and ended up 3rd Revolver at the World shoot. Might be a reason he is the European Revolver Champion??

Way to go Spook !!!!!

Hopalong

After factoring out the huge home-court advantage that accrued to the young fellow in second place, I'm actually more impressed with Spook's performance against Jerry than anybody else's.

(However, our buddy Bjorn still has not seen the US wheel team at its best--hopefully that will lull him into complacency....!)

Congrats!

Mike

Spook,

Fantastic job, I was amazed at some of your stage wins against Jerry. Actually all 4 of the top revolver shooters really got it on!

There are 6 goods reasons why nobody would want to mess with any of these guys. Also congratulations to Cliff, Patrick & Lisa, everyone was pulling for each of you. Will be interesting in 3 years to see Cliff & Spook going head to head again, could be a different outcome.

Dick

Thanks guys! Hopalong, thanks for the words man. It is much appreciated.

I must admit however that I am very disappointed with my own performance. I made three very costly (and stupid) mistakes that cost me over 100 matchpoints. I don't even want to think about the fact that I had Ricardo at 92% at last years European Championships (of course, that was a home court advantage for me) :(

It was very cool to talk to Jerry during/after the Shoot-Off. He is a very laid back friendly man. And of course he shoots like an animal! :D

And I had the pleasure to meet Cliff Walsh. Too bad we didn't roll with the same squad. Cliff is a great guy. I tried his gun in the safety area and all I can say is “WOW”. Randy Lee turned that revolver into a miracle! If you ever want your wheelgun tuned, look no further. I have seriously never seen anything like it before.

I would like to thank Merlin Orr, Stewart Lewis (Hey Quicksdraw!), Henny Schmitz (Schmitz) for their awesome support! Thanks guys! You have made a dream come true. Fortunately I didn’t cash the check by shooting a brilliant match ;) But it it wasn’t for guys like you I wouldn’t have even attended the match! I will not forget this!:)

I don't know if I'm going to try for the title again in 2008. I must say that I’d rather go to the US Nationals next year to try and beat Jerry than to go to another World Shoot. Of course, I just got back and am tired as hell, so the last thing I want to thing about now is traveling to another match.

It was a fun match and I had a ball both on and off the stages with my friends. But I must also admit that it was “just another match”. Besides the presence of the world’s best shooters, I cannot point out anything that made this match better than some others. I seriously hope that the current powers that be will choose a civilized country for the 2011 WS. I got really sick twice from eating at the two most expensive hotels in the country (or maybe I’m just a pussy).

Also, on the second day, the cab we took from the range to the hotel “ran out of gas” (the meter said the tank was still half full. So we have to push our cab of the highway and into the berm of an exit. The driver tells us that there’s a gas station 2 miles down the road. He stops a cab and tells us that he’s going to get some gas.

About two minutes later, Ricardo Lopez, his dad and two of his friends drive by and see us standing in the side of the road. They ask us what is going on and we tell them the story. The four guys get out of their car and tell us that they are going to wait until the cabdriver gets back. The two friends pull up their shirts and show us the Glocks they are carrying. Ricardo tells us that the cabdriver might be getting a friend with a gun rather than gas, because the driver knows we have guns. He told us that stuff like that happens a lot in Ecuador. Nice place to host a big match…

BTW, Jerry let me know that he would like to shoot some matches in Europe next year. Of course, this is great news. I promised to send him some information on the matches with lots of revolver shooters (like last month’s German Nationals, that had 50).

Anyways, time for a vacation I guess. Thanks a lot guys! :)

Bjorn

Bjorn, it would be great to have you join us for the US Nationals in '06! As you probably saw from the photos posted here on the forum, we really had a great time. Our "revo renaissance" continues to grow here in the states.

As for beating Jerry, well, there are a few of us you're gonna have to get through first!

;)

Bjorn;

You really did a great job. The true mark of a good competitor is overcoming all the crap that comes your way at a big match, and you showed that you can do just that. Third in the World ain't to shabby, you should be proud of that. I'm looking forward to seeing you at next year's Nationals, it's a great match with a really amazing group of guys. Jerry's a incredible guy, his ability with a revolver is only outmatched by his personality, it's nice talking to a guy who's that talented and that down-to-earth.

Bjorn,

Thanks for the kind words and I look forwards to seeing you at the U.S. Nationals.

I'm going to try to drag a few more revolver shooters to the Nats. as well.

Perhaps we'll be sporting new 625s with 6.5" barrels by then! :D Heck, that may be the only way I can keep up with you guys.

I spoke to Lisa yesterday(she's sick) and she mentioned that Cliff got sick from food down there as well. Sounds like Pepto-Bismol should have been included in the shooter's packets?

Again, congratulations to all the round gunners who competed!

I knew something happened to Cliff. He's pretty consistently in that 80-85% range (compared to Jerry) and has beaten Ricardo. With Jerry not shooting particularly well, I would have expected Cliff to be right in there somewhere right around Spook. Something happened.

Also gotta wonder if his super-light action was working with whatever crap ammo he was able to scrounge down there....

Mike

Slight thread drift: I didn't get sick, but lots of shooters did. When I go to out-of-the-way-places I don't experiment. I eat in the hotel, I eat stuff that is less likely to cause problems (no chicken, no fish, no shrimp, etc.) And I include Pepto in my snivel kit. If any of our forum brethren go next time, I advise you to do the same. Wash your hands at every opportunity. Don't touch local kids, don't pet the pets or livestock, and don't assume the last person to use that [whatever] washed their hands.

Cliff's problem (if I may inform the class, Cliff) wasn't that he was sick, although he was. He saw the whole match, and started to worry. When next you go to the World Shoot, Cliff, you'll know to keep your head down and take it a stage and a day at a time. (And lay off the local food, if that's what did it.)

Lesson for the rest of you: a World Shoot is like five or six big club matches in a row. Three or four Area matches. Back-to-back-and-then-some Nationals. If you aren't careful, it will crush you.

Cliff kept apologizing for "letting the team down" and I had to keep telling him the plan was working, and the math was on our side.

Cliff, ya done good. Heck, you beat me. Next time we'll really crush 'em.

You guys did great, and we're proud of all of you.

Dan and Sam and I emailed back and forth all through the match trying to figure out how things were turning out....all of us wishing we could have been in the battle alongside you!

It sure sounds like a helluva adventure, and something you'll always have in your memory-banks.

From what I gather, although it wasn't a "USPSA" sponsored team, there was definitely a team mindset. I do know that Lisa and Cliff were squaded together as were Jerry and Patrick.

Cliff's gun wasn't set up for anything but Federal primers. BUT Lisa's was. The gun she shot was the protogun I use to test my hammer and trigger work with factory ammo. At five and a half pounds, it sets everything off. Because Lisa's gun would set off Armscor ammo, she shared her match ammo with Cliff towards the end.

Team-mates helping team-mates.

As a sponsor, I couldn't be more proud. Lisa called me towards the end of the match commenting on how poorly she shot. But considering she was shooting a gun that was not her own and had not touched until 4 weeks before the WS, probably only fired 1500 rounds thru the gun, and switching to 195 pf ammo partway thru- she did better than I ever could under the same circumstances.

Hello everyone, i am back in the swing of things in the good ole US of A.

I must thank Carmoney for thinking something must have been wrong with my equipment. The fact is my gun ran perfectly (thanks Randy) and I had ammo and it all worked fine. I just flat out sucked. I have never shot such a poor match match every. The first day I took 50% on 2 long stages and that took me down about 150 points and it only seemed to get worse. I had one good day out of the six. The shoots there were much tougher than we shoot around here and over half the courses were 8 or 9 rounds. No-shoots everywhere. Whenever I tried to go fast, I missed many shots and had to do extra reloads or eat the misses. When I made sure I had a good shot, I was way slow. I am going to have to change my whole practice routine ( or actually start one). Shooters in the US do not know what a hard course is. I have the greatest respect for Ricardo, Spook, and the others who did well. They are all better than me!!!

Hey spook. Great job and good to meet you. I think that Phillipp (4th) is going to come to the US nationals next year also. It will be a good match. The rest of you better start practicing.

It was good the meet all the other revo from around the world. I had a great time despite my performance. I ended up in a hotel full of Norwegians and had a blast. Those guys know how to party.

I met Igor, a very good revolver shooter from Italy. He finished 9th overall and they call him Jerrino (little jerry) back home. He reads the forum but is afraid to post because of his English. Everyone say hello to Igor and maybe we can get him to post once in a while.

It is good to be home,

Cliff

Cliff, Spook.

Hold your head up high.

We can't always have the perfect match all the time.

Even Jerry, Rob Leatham, Eric Grauffel have bad moments and matches.

Only they are so far ahead of us they can still win while having bad times.

Get what you can out of it and use it to your betterment.

Hop

Igor, don't worry about your english.....We want to hear from everyone.

What works for you might just help someone else or the other way around.