Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting the new optic ready CZ Shadow 2 - it’s all that and a bag of chips M.G.

MsDV8

2 hours ago, KyleJ said:

Oh man, I still have a Shadow 2 on order with my local wholesaler. Might have to cancel and update to one of these...

Cancel!  OMG....The Shadow 2 combined with an optic is so amazing.  Despite it being freezing cold and sicker than a dog I was in heaven.  Can’t wait to bust out the duelling tree and really giving her a good work out.  Are you in Canada or the U.S.?

you put the roll pin back in right? When mine shows up I'm taking an old 5.5mm sight from an old Shadow and cutting it down flush so that it will still provide good tension on the roll pin, they can walk if there is no sight pressing down on them. 

3 hours ago, slavex said:

you put the roll pin back in right? When mine shows up I'm taking an old 5.5mm sight from an old Shadow and cutting it down flush so that it will still provide good tension on the roll pin, they can walk if there is no sight pressing down on them. 

Yes, I stuck some Loc-tite on it.  I don’t have any old sights.  I sure like it better without that big distraction in my field of view.  

10 hours ago, MsDV8 said:

Cancel!  OMG....The Shadow 2 combined with an optic is so amazing.  Despite it being freezing cold and sicker than a dog I was in heaven.  Can’t wait to bust out the duelling tree and really giving her a good work out.  Are you in Canada or the U.S.?

I am in the states. It doesn't look like I will see one until late 2019? Also kind of a bummer that they won't make weight for carry optics. 

14 minutes ago, KyleJ said:

I am in the states. It doesn't look like I will see one until late 2019? Also kind of a bummer that they won't make weight for carry optics. 

Sorry to hear that KyleJ.  I know how it feels, I wanted the optic ready version since April 2018 when I was shooting my first Qualifier and someone had the bright idea to tell me that CZ was releasing an optic version later that year.  I’m probably going to put the Kadet .22 adapter for S2 on the lower of the original non-optic and I kind of question whether I’m going to be shooting iron sights anymore, for me, it’s just that good.  Do you need it right away, like do you have other firearms to shoot in the interim?  If you can wait, it is so worth the wait.

On 2/11/2019 at 6:49 AM, MsDV8 said:

Yes, I stuck some Loc-tite on it.  I don’t have any old sights.  I sure like it better without that big distraction in my field of view.  

yeah I've heard from many who have left the fibre in there how big of a distraction that is

18 hours ago, slavex said:

yeah I've heard from many who have left the fibre in there how big of a distraction that is

It’s like a big red sore thumb.  When is yours arriving and may I ask which RDS you’ll be running?

no idea when mine shows up, was supposed be in the first shipment but wasn't. I've got a Delta Point Pro for initial use, but will be looking at other options once I get some time behind it. I'd like to try the new Acro from Aimpoint when it hits. Not sure if I'm going to run Optics at all this year, like I did last year (with irons lol) but if I feel comfortable behind it I will do a few matches I'm sure. If only to see where I fall compared to the others in the Division, I did alright with irons against them after all. 

14 hours ago, slavex said:

no idea when mine shows up, was supposed be in the first shipment but wasn't. I've got a Delta Point Pro for initial use, but will be looking at other options once I get some time behind it. I'd like to try the new Acro from Aimpoint when it hits. Not sure if I'm going to run Optics at all this year, like I did last year (with irons lol) but if I feel comfortable behind it I will do a few matches I'm sure. If only to see where I fall compared to the others in the Division, I did alright with irons against them after all. 

Optics takes some practice for sure, I think especially if you’ve been shooting iron sights a long time.  It slowed down someone I know who’s been shooting iron sights for decades and one of our clubs top ranked shooters..  Thought it might give me a fighting chance against him for at least a round or two, (what a laugh) but not a chance.  As soon as he practiced a bit more with the optics he’s right on top of his game again, the b******, 😡.  

I’ve seen adapter plates available for the Delta Point.  Are there mounting options available already for the other optics you mention?  Supply seems to be very limited at the moment.

Edited by MsDV8

Is there a reason why one wouldn't just remove the sight?  Figure it would be easier to just punch out the pin and replace.  I've changed quite a few and it doesn't take much time at all.

Edited by MoRivera

4 minutes ago, MoRivera said:

Is there a reason why one wouldn't just remove the sight?  Figure it would be easier to just punch out the pin and replace.  I've changed quite a few and it doesn't take much time at all.

The pin tends to walk out unless you keep the sight installed. The pin needs the tension from the sight base to stay in place.

27 minutes ago, ClangClang said:

The pin tends to walk out unless you keep the sight installed. The pin needs the tension from the sight base to stay in place.

Really?  It always seems to me that the pin hole in the frame was keeping it in since the clearance for the pin on the front sight bases I have look pretty generous.  Interesting....I'm going to check, but I may have to grind down one of the removed sights I have in a parts bin when I get my optic-milled Shadow 1 slide from CZ Custom.

some front sights have more tension than others, and you want that tension otherwise you end up with barrel bushings going down range...

That ground down sight looks good!

CZ makes a number of different plates, but not for the Aimpoint Acro yet, it's not on the market yet so no rush I guess. I'm hoping that other manufacturers start making plates too. 

On 2/15/2019 at 9:10 AM, Amerflyer48 said:

Not a CZ guy but have used a strand from a black shop broom to replace a FO rod 

easiest solution I have found and found it here on the forum awhile back. 

Just an option for them that don’t want to grind a sight. 

This is a pretty ingenious idea.

Also I didn't know CZ was launching an S2 OR!!!!

Awesome. I'm kinda glad I waited for the S2... I plan to get a slide plate machined w/ a dovetail and adj rear so I can also shoot irons.

On 2/14/2019 at 10:46 AM, ClangClang said:

Or Blue Glue (Loc-Tite).  After pricing out the cost of a cheapo throw away sight, I opted for just keeping the roll pin in place and glued in.  It’s holding up well.

3 hours ago, blueorison said:

This is a pretty ingenious idea.

Also I didn't know CZ was launching an S2 OR!!!!

Awesome. I'm kinda glad I waited for the S2... I plan to get a slide plate machined w/ a dovetail and adj rear so I can also shoot irons.

The Optics ready comes with stock iron sights.  Unless you’re looking for both windage and elevation? 

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my extra SP-01 Shadow slide in from CZ Custom, milled for a Vortex Venom.....

Shadow-OPtic.jpg

Got it direct-milled rather than adapter-plate-ready, to get the Venom down as low as it could be.  Really feels nice and 'on the deck'.  Thankfully, the stock screws that were holding it on to the factory picatinny plate worked fine for the slide.  At first I was a bit concerned that the cutout didn't include the little securing 'tabs' at the corners like other mounts do....

IMG-1773.jpg

Base.jpg

.....but then I realized the the overall cutout is so snug to the Venom's body fore and aft that it doesn't seem to need them.  The Venom isn't going anywhere.  Psyched to shoot in Carry Optics.

Like others I shaved down a front sight, it was causing me to raise the muzzle in the window out of habit, and the dot would be out of view at first.  With it gone, I'm angling and picking up the dot better as I present.

Edited by MoRivera