Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger freeze

dvc4you

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, xdf3 said:

What about shorter/longer resets? Some people say shorter reset will cause major trigger freeze 'cause the finger will need more accuracy 

Depends on the person. It is my opinion that if you are under stress, a bigger target is easier to hit vs a smaller target, in regards to where your reset is. However, I believe it is more nuanced than that; I believe is the relationship to ability, ability under stress, personality-type, fatigue of mind, body, finger position in relation to trigger break, etc. But in a perfect setting, my prior statement would be applicable.

Like others have mentioned, trying to go fast is when trigger freeze happens. I shoot my fastest splits when I’m focusing on other aspects of shooting than trigger speed. I focus on the sight picture required for the target difficulty, watching the sights as they recoil then driving my vision to the next A zone. 

10 minutes ago, xdf3 said:

So no pin & reset?

When resetting the trigger do you only let it out until you feel that tactile click? If so its just asking to get trigger freeze.  Now obviously you don't want to do the opposite and just let your finger loose and slap the trigger on the way back in.  Find a happy medium where you're using your muscle memory to reset rather than waiting to feel that tactile click

10 minutes ago, m-cz-shadow-2 said:

When resetting the trigger do you only let it out until you feel that tactile click? If so its just asking to get trigger freeze.  Now obviously you don't want to do the opposite and just let your finger loose and slap the trigger on the way back in.  Find a happy medium where you're using your muscle memory to reset rather than waiting to feel that tactile click

That's what I'm trying to do. With a short reset / disconnector (the one with the least reset travel, I think, but I'm not sure if there's better), I've had that happen only once I guess. My best splits are around 0.10. I'll try a different method to see if anything changes (the times I remember that happening, I was trying to force it intentionally)

4 minutes ago, xdf3 said:

My best splits are around 0.10

At what distance? Major or minor? Either way that is a VERY  fast split time. If my splits were that fast when "trying to go fast" I'd just slow it down a tad and focus on getting 2 As with ~.15 splits.

32 minutes ago, m-cz-shadow-2 said:

At what distance? Major or minor? Either way that is a VERY  fast split time. If my splits were that fast when "trying to go fast" I'd just slow it down a tad and focus on getting 2 As with ~.15 splits.

0.10 at 5 or less yards, pretty consistently. I think I can have the same at about 10-12, but I'm still trying to find the best configuration.

I can't tell how some are capable of shooting really fast splits at greater distances (like 25 yards - 0.20/0.30 splits).

I feel safe with a .15/20 split at such distances, however I've seen some great shooters shooting really fast with great scores. I'm pretty sure I'm gripping the gun well enough

Minor, with a cz shadow2.

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 4:38 PM, xdf3 said:

0.10 at 5 or less yards, pretty consistently. I think I can have the same at about 10-12, but I'm still trying to find the best configuration.

I can't tell how some are capable of shooting really fast splits at greater distances (like 25 yards - 0.20/0.30 splits).

I feel safe with a .15/20 split at such distances, however I've seen some great shooters shooting really fast with great scores. I'm pretty sure I'm gripping the gun well enough

Minor, with a cz shadow2.

Are you sure your timer works porperly?

18 minutes ago, xdf3 said:

Explain why.

Btw, that works with every timer, so it's not a joke.

Why? Cause Jerry Miculek is pretty ok with .10 splits...  I got .10 splits too, but thats when my timer records echoes... :)  

38 minutes ago, bimmer1980 said:

Why? Cause Jerry Miculek is pretty ok with .10 splits...  I got .10 splits too, but thats when my timer records echoes... :)  

So what's your point? It depends on the gun itself, too

On 2/20/2019 at 8:01 PM, dvc4you said:

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Will try to be more relaxed and have more “visual” patience. I know my eyes should dictate the trigger speed but sometimes there is not much to see like in “Can you count?”, that is when the trigger freeze happens. Will try to practice more Bill drills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

'Can you Count' does that to many folks.

I'd set it up and work at with some percentage as the goal to add pressure.

Dot probably won't leave the A zone so shooting as fast as you can see and as fast as you can row the trigger are pretty much the same. If you're worried about dumping a bunch of rounds trim it down to three each and adjust the time down.

• 2 weeks later...

I will say the only time I've ever had trigger freeze is when I'm trying to run the trigger fast...  I know that sounds weird but it feels like when I focus on the splits there is issues, when I focus on the stage and shooting the speed of my sights and put splits out of my mind them in pulling 11's and 12's.  Its weird...  kinda like unconscious self sabotage.