Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger freeze

dvc4you

One of my latest shortcomings at USPSA is trigger freeze.

I am shooting a 9 Major open gun with a 1.6 lbs trigger pull.

During live practice I can pull .14 / .16 splits on close targets. But sometimes during matches, trigger freeze comes when shooting a close hoser target array.

How do I solve this? Bill drills? Is it me or the gun? Dry fire (please don’t be this) ?

Frustrated (eternal “B”) shooter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

biggest cause of trigger freeze i have seen/experienced is TRYING to go fast, and make more than 1 trigger pull with a single sight picture.

worry about going fast in practice. get used to it. set up some hoser targets. for added skill development, set up 2-3 hoser targets and a mini popper at 20 yards and get used to switching visual gears.

Don't try to go fast in a match. Just be fast, and go that speed.

biggest cause of trigger freeze i have seen/experienced is TRYING to go fast, and make more than 1 trigger pull with a single sight picture.

worry about going fast in practice. get used to it. set up some hoser targets. for added skill development, set up 2-3 hoser targets and a mini popper at 20 yards and get used to switching visual gears.

Don't try to go fast in a match. Just be fast, and go that speed.

I was actually going at mi dot speed, but with the trigger freeze the array felt like an eternity... I was definitely not double tapping. Maybe trying to control recoil I am gripping to hard with my strong hand...

TPC 50/50 drill is good to practice for dealing with trigger freeze. Helps to get you out of being too tense and not getting finger all the way out for proper trigger reset. 

Not familiar with it, please describe.

58 minutes ago, dvc4you said:

Not familiar with it, please describe.

Load 1 round, remove mag. Shoot and then dry fire. Start slow, 1 sec between shots, then 1/2, then 1/4 or as fast as you can call acceptable sight picture. Boom, click. 

Edited by HoMiE
Added link for video

I usually have it real bad when shooting in cold conditions.  I think, like others have said, when you are too tense it tends to happen.  Try to loosen up...i tend to shoot some hoser drills at some point during my practice, mainly because it is fun as hell shooting fast, but i want to try to condition myself to not tense up when shooting fast.

Learn to come completely off the trigger face when shooting super close hoser arrays. That’s my approach with a short crisp trigger that promotes trigger freeze.

If your finger nearly bounces off the front of the trigger guard between shots you will never fail to reset it.

There is no reason to ride the trigger, nor issue with moving the gun offtarget, when shooting at 3 yds.

On 2/4/2019 at 1:56 PM, dvc4you said:

During live practice I can pull .14 / .16 splits on close targets. But sometimes during matches, trigger freeze comes when shooting a close hoser target array.

How do I solve this? Bill drills? Is it me or the gun? Dry fire (please don’t be this) ?

Do you have an aversion to dryfire? Not that dryfire will help you much with trigger freeze, but I find it is almost as valuable a tool as live fire.

Do you have an aversion to dryfire? Not that dryfire will help you much with trigger freeze, but I find it is almost as valuable a tool as live fire.

Not aversion, I find it boring, as such, tend to find other things to do....

Actually dryfire would help, work on Blake drills with the focus being letting the trigger out all the way. I think it is easier to freeze up knowing you need to shoot more than one target, which is why I would use the Blake drill instead of the Bill Drill.

• 2 weeks later...

Bet it mostly happens on the ones that you wanted to shoot REALLY fast, like one that's really close and the last in a array that you will be leaving from.

Just need to consciously tell yourself to slow down. And in dry fire, keep training the trigger finger speed.

It happens to everybody at some point.

On 2/4/2019 at 1:56 PM, dvc4you said:

Calm your mind.

It all flows from your mind.

Relax your sphincter.

Get .12 to .14 splits.

Years ago in my youth I'd push so hard at the really close targets, the point and shoot types, I'd invariably get a freeze in a string.

Then GM Jamie Craig told me that at the top levels, and really among any given level, everyone shoots the same speed so instead of worrying about speed he focused on points.

So even though he was younger and hadn't been shooting the years I had, but he was a better shooter, I paid attention.  That I solved my trigger freeze. 

Long wordy way of saying pay attention to Brian's advice.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Will try to be more relaxed and have more “visual” patience. I know my eyes should dictate the trigger speed but sometimes there is not much to see like in “Can you count?”, that is when the trigger freeze happens. Will try to practice more Bill drills.