Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kids Involved In The Shooting Sports

chucksmall

chucksmall,

What is that he is holding up in the picture? It looks like a smaller version of a range bag that one of our local guys uses. I had never seen one before or since...figured it was something he had made up or that his "grandaddy used" or something.

I'll gladly add one here of my 11 year old son Alden. Here he is pictured training with Bruce Gray of GrayGuns fame. He has been shooting the local clubs' Steel Challenge as well as starting to shoot ICORE and USPSA (localy for now). He is also shooting .22 rifle for his NRA light rifle classification. Last night was his first first place trophey, high in age group and high overall in the Jr. Bullseye shoot.

Although I've been giving him my complete knowledge of shooting (took under 5 minutes for that :rolleyes: ) he has been also working with Lisa Farrell, Randy Lee, and even Bruce Gray when he visits the area. They have tuned on him this year and after the matches I end up hearing about what a safe shooter he is and about his willingness to help during the match. It has been made very clear by some of the locals that they want him (ok us) squaded with them because of that. (Insert pic of Dad all swelled up with pride).

He and I had been trying several hobbies to finally hit on this one thanks to Lisa Farrell. This is the one thing that seems to take top choice over video games with him. Also it seems to be a great motivator as far as school goes. He has been told that if his grades stay high then he gets to go to some of the bigger matches, low grades = stay at home while Dad goes. I have to say also as a single Dad, this has brought my son and I even closer and days at the range have us practicing shooting and actualy comunicating. I'm sure there will be more Alden pics to come on here as he progresses.

Dave Wilson

post-5886-1125882425_thumb.jpg

post-5886-1125884200_thumb.jpg

Chucksmall, What a WONDERFUL IDEA!

Dave, congrats on your son's success (and your's too!) Shooting is such a part of my life because of my father. Thanks for bringing your son to the range and teaching him the most important aspects of shooting sports: safety and fun! You are very lucky to have Randy, Lisa and Bruce helping out with all their extensive knowledge, skills and experience. It doesn't get better than that!!! Best wishes!

Thanks again and all the best,

julie

Here are my sons, both under the watchful eye of Kay Miculek during one of the sessions of Camp Shootout 2005.

Nelson Jr.

kaynel4dq.th.jpg

Francisco

franplates9rc.th.jpg

They have since graduated from their semi tricked-out G22's to STI Edges. Yes, my STI's. Guess I'll shoot whatever left in the safe... ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Man Nemo.......

What you been feedin those boys ????? Miracle grow!!!!

I know Kay is not the tallest gal in the world but those two have to be at least 3 or 4 inches taller than when I saw them last.

HOP

Hey Hop!

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier. Those two just NEVER stop eating. I think that to keep up with the groceries, bullets, powder and primers I'll soon need a second job.

Here are some pics from other Juniors that attended Camp Shootout this past summer.

post-2776-1131034338_thumb.jpg

post-2776-1131034379_thumb.jpg

post-2776-1131034426_thumb.jpg

post-2776-1131034513_thumb.jpg

post-2776-1131034535_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...

Here ya' go, DougC!

Larry, That's some fireball young Ms. Carly is managing there. Please tell the young lady the Colón's say Hi!

Found these from this year's South Carolina Section.

My lefty 15 year-old

nel2dn6.th.jpg

My 13Y.O. Cat5 Hurricane

fran1ra1.th.jpg

Sorry if I'm TOO PROUD! ;)

Had to rescue this junior shooters thread to show those that wished they never were...

Edited by Nemo

:P Last weekend my son Ian shot at his first .22 match. He had a blast even with his gun breaking during the first stage. I handed him off to the great guys at Rio and they helped him through the match, even loaning him a gun to finish with and taking his to fix for him. I didn't shoot because I wanted this match to be all about him (and I wanted a video for Gramma!)

I really have to thank Tom Rubel and Dave Sabia for spending so much of their time in getting kids into shooting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RcfWWpCaaU

Yep a very proud mom!