Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Power Factor and the Feel of Flatness

Adrenaline

I have an opinion of my own but wanna hear what you all think..in the pic I'm gonna try and post check out my 7.7 through 7.9 gr of Hs6 load. Pf for 7.9gr is around 175 on the high side and low 174 on low side. I have currently chosen 7.7 gr with a Pf of 171 and it seems pretty flat. My opinion is within reason from 165 pf to 175 pf I'd say in my barrel and gun the 174 pf shoots much flatter and videos with slow motion and the slide moves just enough to be reliable but in no way is violent. I love compensators and how they work for you can run super super hot loads and with a good comp like a Carver 4 port, it negates the gas in a direction conducive to manageable recoil. How do you guys feel? I run a KKM barrel and it is superb.

20190129_190318.jpg

When it comes to shooting flat, most look for a load that shoots flat and keep adding powder until it does, 

if you’re running a 124 around 175-180 PF, experiment with the same powder charge but with lighter bullets, 115 and 121

also recoil springs play a part in perceived flatness, a heavier recoil spring will reduce muzzle rise and look flat, but it may also cause muzzle dip when the slide slam forwards causing the dot to bounce up and down 

ideally you want a load and spring combination the meets PF and have the dot track straight up and drop straight down to where it started

i think i understand what you are saying.

I worked up 2 loads both make major  one closer to 170 the other a little higher 178 ish.

Ran them both on the timer etc the lighter load was faster and had less recoil (smack to hand)

the hotter load was flatter but  the lighter load felt better. 

It's all a balancing act.  The more gas that jets out the front of the comp, the harder it hits your hand.    Once you reach a point with a given load where very little jets out the front, you are done.  Any hotter than that is counterproductive.  The Carver 4-port is holding you back.  Junk it and buy an 11-port SJC comp.  Then you can use all that extra gas and have a softer, flatter shooter to boot.

A couple of my buddies went the Carver Custom route.  They were all happy with the setup, except when they compared muzzle rise to me and another friend.  I suggested he ditch the Carver for the SJC.  He did and was amazed at how much flatter it shot.  I told him it would be even softer if he used a slower powder, but he has a bazillion pounds of CFE.  Another friend did take my advice and went to a slower powder.  He described the result as feeling like cheating.  He'll use the rest of his CFE for minor loads.

If you like the Carver better, stay with it.  

If you can't get it off with a heat gun, just shoot it off.  It's Aluminum, so it won't stay on long anyway.    You can expect to reattach it twice a season, or three times if you shoot a lot of matches.  One monster match should do it.

On 1/30/2019 at 6:49 AM, jcc7x7 said:

I run a 2011 with a Bedell comp at 175+ pf, that's where it runs flat.

I have a Bedell Comp on one of my guns, and I load it up around 175 pf, just to tame the beast.  Titanium, have had to ream it 4 times, over the years.   I also added two poopel holes  to make it softer.

The same gun, different barrel and comp (Dawson's Todd Jarrett) shoots softer @170 pf. No holes.

• 1 month later...