Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking to buy a new fun gun in 22 for eventual suppressor use

lfine

Have a K22 Masterpiece that's fun but have been thinking of getting something I can use for fun at the range, first shooting for newbies, and for eventual use with a suppressor, so I would want a threaded barrel . Love my Shadow 2 and thinking of getting the Kadet kit (any opinions?) but other than that, really don't need to stick with any particular brand.  So what would you recommend for fun? Victory? Mark IV? Buckmark?  Some other 22 semi?  Thanks for any bits of advice you want to share!

Owned Rugers 1,11,111 all have been great guns that ran almost any 22 ammo.

Currently shooting the Buckmark camper (cheapest in the Line) just so I have a 22 semi-auto ( gave the mklll to my niece )

It's been a great gun also, as long as I keep my thumb off the slide , seems to feed almost anything also.

So which ever you like the looks of more.  Browning has a bunch of threaded bbl models currently.

i'm Sure Ruger does also.

Enjoy the hint for your new shooter!!!

Rugar mk 4 will be easiest to break down and will have the most support in aftermarket.

Buckmark is nice as is the sw victory.  Ive shot the above and all are accurate as heck.

Taurus is supposed to have a new one tx22.never seen it though

I hefted them all and frankly would be ok with any. Liked the Buckmark but seems to be a pain to clean compared to Ruger and SW.  Of those two, I slightly preferred the Ruger - and my past CS experiences with them (all good). Glad to hear some real-world experience too - and to hear what obvious option I might not be thinking of if anyone has any. Thanks.

BTW,  is there any reason, at this point, to buy an older Ruger seeing as their cleaning is so painful in comparison to the new ones?

If it's a gun to be used as a newbie trainer, you need one with an ambi safety for the occasional lefty. From what's available with ambi and threaded, I would choose either the Ruger Mk4 22/45 (Lite or Tactical) or the S&W M&P 22 Compact (not the full size, many reported quality control issues).

• 4 weeks later...

If you want some that looks more like an ordinary service pistol you could check out the Grand Power line of .22s. They have several different options, and some of them come with the barrel threaded already.