Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IFG Stock 1 for CO Tuning and Bullet Info

Posvar

New Tanfoglio owner here...

I’ll be shooting a Stock 1 to play I n Carry Optics with a DPP on it. The slide was milled by Patriot Defense along with all of their custom tuning parts and work done. Gun, optic, and extended magazine weighs in at 44.5oz on the nose. 

I will be using 124g JHP Precision Delta bullets, N320, CCI #500 and mixed range brass. What is a good starting point for that combo along with a good OAL and any recommendations for a recoil spring to start with when considering the DPP on the slide? 

I shot my buddies CZ SP-01 today with same set up today and it was amazing. 

I don’t mean to start off with negativity...

But please check the oal and bullet feed reliability of new bullets in your barrel first.

My stock 2 barrel runs real short (hasn’t been third party reamed) I think 1.10? Haven’t shot production in a while...

The reason I’m commenting is because the PD 124s dont feed reliably AT ALL in any of my production or open guns... I have a lot of already loaded minor ammo that I thought was wasted, until I tried it in my carry guns during a practice. Lucky it feeds in those.

All guns, even from the same manufacturers have different tolerances...

It’s best to check feeding and oal reliability with some dummy rounds/no primer rounds before you start trying out loads and powder.

Goodluck

Thank you. I have read in several places about reliability issues with some ammo. My experience with the 124g JHP PD has been a complete reversal of yours. They have run very well in my MPX, X5, 9mm major open guns, Glock 34, JP GMR15, Marauder, etc. If they don’t work I’ll order up some RN from Precison Delta and try those. 

Patriot did ream the barrel so maybe that will help. 

I will follow your advice and report back. 

Edited by Posvar

47 minutes ago, Posvar said:

New Tanfoglio owner here...

I’ll be shooting a Stock 1 to play I n Carry Optics with a DPP on it. The slide was milled by Patriot Defense along with all of their custom tuning parts and work done. Gun, optic, and extended magazine weighs in at 44.5oz on the nose. 

I will be using 124g JHP Precision Delta bullets, N320, CCI #500 and mixed range brass. What is a good starting point for that combo along with a good OAL and any recommendations for a recoil spring to start with when considering the DPP on the slide

I shot my buddies CZ SP-01 today with same set up today and it was amazing. 

Really? All that and no photos for us to lust over? Weak!

Just kidding. I’m a new Tanfo (stock III) owner also. I’m thinking of buying a stock I or Lim pro as a backup gun.

My only opinion  is this: since PD reamed your barrel/chamber, you don’t have to worry about the short throat. My brand new Stock III feeds all my 9mm loads (assorted 115 & 124).

but seriously, post pics :) 

Edited by Localizer

40 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Run coated bullets, you'll be better off.

Why?

I have tried and used a variety of coated, FMJ, RN FP, plated, .355, .356, .357 bullets in my TFs and Son’s CZs and find all work just fine. RN does seem to feed a bit better. 

Favorites:

PD FMJ RN 147

ACME 147 FP

Everglades FMJ HP new RN 124

These three load the longest, feed and run just fine.

11 hours ago, Posvar said:

Patriot did ream the barrel so maybe that will help.

You need to include this right up front. ;) 

You will be able to run that bullet out to around 1.150” without any issues if you’d like to. 

124 JHPs from PD are some of the most accurate bullets out there, and you really can’t go wrong with them if your guns feed them 100%. I personally heavily prefer a 124 in a Tanfoglio, too. They’re cheaper than 147s and the gun doesn’t feel as soft and sluggish.

Ben Stoeger wins a lot of matches each year with off-the-shelf factory 124gr ammo. 

9 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

You need to include this right up front. ;) 

You will be able to run that bullet out to around 1.150” without any issues if you’d like to. 

124 JHPs from PD are some of the most accurate bullets out there, and you really can’t go wrong with them if your guns feed them 100%. I personally heavily prefer a 124 in a Tanfoglio, too. They’re cheaper than 147s and the gun doesn’t feel as soft and sluggish.

Ben Stoeger wins a lot of matches each year with off-the-shelf factory 124gr ammo. 

Thanks! That is what I was hoping to hear. That bullet has won me over so much so that I shoot it even in my simple Glock range guns. My minor load of 3.5g N320 at 1.125 runs in everything!

Agreed. It shoots lights out - in my PCC and all of my handguns, it is noticeably tighter than my coated and plated loads. And it’s the same price as an FMJ in sufficient quantity.

You’ll have no problem with 1.125 in a barrel that Patriot has reworked.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I don't use 320 even though I have an 8lb jug, but I do use everything else on your list. My Limited Custom is about 6 months old and came from Patriot Defense reamed. I can load the rounds as long as the mag will hold, but have standardized to 1.14". 

I have used the PD 124 grain JHP, 4.2 Sport Pistol, CCI 500 (550, WW sp, or Fed sp) @ 1.14" and they shoot fantastic. I doubt yours would be too much different.

My favorite bullet is a RMR MW 124 fp loaded exactly the same as above though. 

Range report....

300 rounds of PD 124g over 3.5g N320 at 1.12. The gun is amazing!!!! Single action is better than most of my 2011 guns. The dot doesn’t leave the glass at all. I had two light primer strikes (using CCI #500 SPP) but they did go off in single action the second one. Also has (2) failure to feed and not sure what that is about. The round was perfectly horizontal just below the feed ramp. Maybe I will go longer with OAL? 

What a joy to shoot! Incredibly smooth and to be honest hands down better overall in all areas than the full custom SP-01 shadow I had from CZ Custom. 

Im going home to get more ammo and shoot in my back yard Range

In a hammer fired gun you need to ensure you’re burying your primers. A glock will eat CCIs as long as they aren’t sticking up. Flush is good.

A Tanfo with a light hammer spring will not. I had to be highly meticulous to get ammo to fire in DA with CCI primers. I ended up running an Xtreme Medium hammer spring, which added 1 pound to double action over a 14# patriot spring but it ignites everything.

Your primers need to be well below flush in order to fire in double action. You need to be able to catch your fingernail on them. Are you loading on a 650? If so, life is hard. I highly recommend switching to S&B or Winchester primers.

With your jams? Experiment with OALs for sure. PD JHPs are the worst case scenario for feeding, with their wiiiide square mouths. I bet a nice pointy FMJ would have fed just fine. Tinker with OAL (try shorter loads too!) and test a different bullet type if needed.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

9 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Are you loading on a 650? If so, life is hard. I highly recommend switching to S&B or Winchester primers.

My 2018 vintage dillon 650 will bury primers. 0.008" every time. Maybe they improved things?

Winchester primers are waaay easier to light off.