Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accu Shadow 2 for CO?

GregJ

Beginning search for new primary CO gun.  My CZC 75 Black with SP01 slide with CZC Muliti Optic cut, has been a workhorse.  I would like either an S2 or Accu S2, with CZC's RDS cut and plate system. I am sure more lightening would be needed.

I understand CZ is coming out with an optics ready S2, but who know when that will be avail.

Maybe just stick with an S2?  Thoughts/suggestions?

I am having CZC cut shadow 2 slide right now. There is a lot of variability in the weight of the optics. Supposedly they lighten the slide enough to use a leupold delta point, which is one of the heaviest optics. They open up a slot in the top of the slide and the make the slot in the dust cover bigger. So in theory, especially if you are not using the leupold, more lightening is not needed. While the slide was there you could have them accu it for $350 more. Not sure if that adds weight or not, but I am sure CZcustom knows. 

My shadows have been accurate enough, so I did not do it.

Whichever you decide, decide early and commit to that.

what I mean by that is, you could either stick with a normal S2 and have it built comfortably to CO specifications or go AccuS2 and have all the bells and whistles.

Some quick napkin math looks like-

S2 with minimal trigger component upgrades and the RDS cut could run you $1500 or so if you’re buying new. Think about the other things you may want to do down the road and take that into account also.

AccuS2 is in the $2000 range base plus the RDS cut (and you lose the value of the fully adjustable rear sight) so call it $2250 but that includes the bushing and trigger work.

if you value the trigger work, bushing and other bits at or above the difference in price AND you have the scratch to swing it, why not go AccuS2!

Either way, it’s a great platform to build from.

I personally bought a spare S2 upper from a forum, had it cut aggressively for the DPP, put a CGW 10x bushing and shaved weight from everywhere I could without having to do additional milling to the  slide. Since this picture I’ve shaved a bit more here and there but I’m at about max weight reduction without chucking it back into a milling machine.

DF067411-0194-4E7D-98AE-AF5570CCE227.jpeg

57 minutes ago, mtngunguy said:

I guess we'll have to wait to see if CZ officially unveils the S2 OR at Shot Show on Tuesday. Does anyone know if CZ Custom offers a separate cut slide for the S2?

PM me if looking for an S2 upper.

Gunsmith who did most of this isn't looking for work so he'll remain anonymous. The slide is directly milled for the DPP and I chose to keep the housing on. I also use custom thick Lok grips. With a steel guide rod in, it is 44.2 oz with a Henning extension mag. 

This is a spare slide that I got from eerw so I can still play in Production using the original slide. Thank you, Stuart. I have another frame that has been lightened the same way; with Henning mag it clicks exactly at 45 oz. With costs associated with buying a second slide and getting the work done, I am also hopeful for an OR factory offering.

20190120_212150.jpg

y2.jpg

Edited by YVK

WOW, you had to take a bunch out of the frame.

I'm interested to hear how it preforms and feels once you have made weight.

The other thing is that with this much taken out, it may qualify for ESP in IDPA.

Can't say I feel a lot of difference. Statically it feels less front heavy, more like Stock 2. When I shoot it, I don't notice much. It took me about 5 months to get this done.  Finding extra slide, then it went through 3 different shops (in retrospect, two could've done it), then I decided to mill the frame, then - fortunately before the work was done - my first Shadow 2 broke that internal piece and had to be replaced, etc. So for the last 5-6 months I've been shooting Glock 19x, and I just don't remember how unmodified Shadow shoots. Right now I am working my way back in from Glock to CZ so I've not shot a ton of standards to see if there is any historical difference. What I see on sights, er, the dot, looks how I remember it before milling.

+ 1 on getting a 2nd slide from Stuart (thank you) I had CZC do the milling and lightening on mine and it's considerably lighter than my stock S2 upper

I didn't really notice it that much until I decided to swap the stock slide back on last weekend. I have my OC slide tuned to work with my competition ammo though so 

I don't feel any additional "kick" ....unless I use off the shelf ammo, then I can feel the difference.

I love being able to go back and forth between OC and Production while using the same lower.

Edited by kmanick

Are optics cuts possible on an original SP-01 slide?  Has anyone done the same math with them?  I'm using a dovetail to FFIII adapter on it now but I would rather have it cut in.  Thanks

Edited by Friction
Sp

1 hour ago, Friction said:

Are optics cuts possible on an original SP-01 slide?  HAs anyone done the esteem math with them?  I'm using a dovetail to FFIII adapter on it now but I would rather have it cut in.  Thanks

We CZC, can do the  opticcut on the  SP01

18 hours ago, Friction said:

Are optics cuts possible on an original SP-01 slide?  Has anyone done the same math with them?  I'm using a dovetail to FFIII adapter on it now but I would rather have it cut in.  Thanks

Yes they are possible.  The difference between the shadow SP-01 and normal 75B SP-01, is the presence of a firing pin block.  This will  determine how low you can mill.  Just make sure you send it to a reputable place and make them aware.