Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Upgrades to new P320x5...

mich3210

I just bought a P320x5, which should be here in a few weeks. Since I live in NY I had to go with the 10-round version. Where's the cheapest place to pick up another mag? Since it's the 10-round version, will any P320 Full Size 10-round mag work? 

What other upgrades would you all suggest? I was thinking about immediately dropping in the GG Competition Trigger. Would this be advisable, or should I get accustomed to the gun before doing so? 

Do I need to upgrade the Guide Rod and Spring? I'm shooting factory 115gr and 124gr.

Lastly, I was planning on topping it with an optic. Would you suggest I do this right from the start, or shoot with iron sights to start? If I do get an optic, I'm going with the Romeo1 in 6moa. 

For background, I'll be shooting local IDPA, Action Pistol, and maybe some USPSA. I competed last year with a stock H&K VP9 with iron sights. 

Thanks!

I also have a p320 x5 and I already took it out to the range once. The sights were off and I forgot to bring a screwdriver, therefore I didn't shoot it much. I also already purchased the tungsten fat guide rod and 1911 recoil springs and multiple red dots to try out on multiple guns. I also purchased the grip weight for my p320 x carry to test

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, CZ173 said:

I also have a p320 x5 and I already took it out to the range once. The sights were off and I forgot to bring a screwdriver, therefore I didn't shoot it much. I also already purchased the tungsten fat guide rod and 1911 recoil springs and multiple red dots to try out on multiple guns. I also purchased the grip weight for my p320 x carry to test

You don't need a screwdriver to adjust the X5 rear sight.  Just push down (compress the springs) and it will turn with just a fingernail.

9 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

Romeo 1 6 moa best I've ever had. Tried the rest, DPP is 2nd but heavy

Im curious, how many rounds do you have on your R1 6MOAs?

i think the is sight great, but I have gone through 3 that wouldn’t hold zero past 1000 rounds, and I’ve see two other people that have had the exact same issue. 

Just opened the 2nd case of bullets, so 3500 of coated at 132Pf

another 1000 jacketed and shot up about 2000 old plain lead to get them gone

so 6500-6800 give or take a 100

No poa shifts or other problems. Still on same batteries also 

11 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

Romeo 1 6 moa best I've ever had. Tried the rest, DPP is 2nd but heavy

Ordered one from Optics Planet tonight. They had it listed at $299.99 with free shipping. Found it at a place called BallisticDeals.com for $221.09, plus $8.99 shipping. I was a little skeptical of that place since I had never heard of them and couldn't find many reviews. I decided to give Optics Planet a call, and they matched the $221.09, plus gave me Free Shipping! 

Im curious, how many rounds do you have on your R1 6MOAs?

i think the is sight great, but I have gone through 3 that wouldn’t hold zero past 1000 rounds, and I’ve see two other people that have had the exact same issue. 

I have about 6500 rounds on my 6moa Romeo 1. I think the key is to torque them to correct specs and check them monthly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, rocket99 said:

I have about 6500 rounds on my 6moa Romeo 1. I think the key is to torque them to correct specs and check them monthly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t think that was the issue. I torqued the bolts to the recommended 30 inch pounds. 

Im thinking more likely that sig produced a bad batch of romeo1s. The three I bought, and at least 4 others that had the same problems, came from the exact same seller on amazon.  Although losing zero does seem to be the most common issue with R1s. 

12 hours ago, CHLChris said:

I am another vote for the tungsten guide rod and 1911 recoil springs.  This change fulfills two goals: heavier weight out front under the barrel and a way to reduce the factory spring for competition loads.

Although the OP didnt say if he reloads for minimum power.

For now I'm running factory ammo... 115gr and 124gr. 

Then, if you go with a tungsten guide rod, perhaps you should go with closer to a factory weight spring.  What is that? 14lbs?  Something like that.  I run a 9lb 1911 recoil spring on my X5 with good results, but then my 125gr ammo is only getting 130 power factor.  Factory 115 ammo can be over 140 and 124gr factory ammo is sometimes a lot hotter than that.

1 hour ago, CHLChris said:

Then, if you go with a tungsten guide rod, perhaps you should go with closer to a factory weight spring.  What is that? 14lbs?  Something like that.  I run a 9lb 1911 recoil spring on my X5 with good results, but then my 125gr ammo is only getting 130 power factor.  Factory 115 ammo can be over 140 and 124gr factory ammo is sometimes a lot hotter than that.

9lb? That’s the lightest I’ve heard of someone running. Does it reliably return to battery? Mine wouldn’t with a 12lb.... factory weight is 18lb. 

On 1/15/2019 at 9:46 AM, CZ173 said:

23 hours ago, CHLChris said:

I am another vote for the tungsten guide rod and 1911 recoil springs.  This change fulfills two goals: heavier weight out front under the barrel and a way to reduce the factory spring for competition loads.

Although the OP didnt say if he reloads for minimum power.

I'll look into the tungsten guide rod and a 14# or 15# spring. Thanks for the info. I'll probably run stock to start but will be upgrading those and the trigger within a few months I'm sure. 

Definitely do the trigger upgrade.  I’ve been working pretty hard with my X5’s for 18 months, never quite getting the performance in terms of speed and accuracy I have been getting with my custom .45 ACP 1911’s even though it’s minor caliber, and my 1911’s are always run well over 165 PF.  I figured that 30 years of carrying really good single actions needed retraining for the relatively crappy trigger on the X5,  but I never quite got to where I wanted to be.

Dropped in the Grayguns competition kits this week, and boom.  Unbelievable difference.  For the first time I’m much faster and more accurate on standard drills than I was with ol’ slabsides.

Do some homework before going for the tungsten guide rods, a few people have been peening the hell out of their barrel lugs with them.  

11 hours ago, Archer said:

Definitely do the trigger upgrade.  I’ve been working pretty hard with my X5’s for 18 months, never quite getting the performance in terms of speed and accuracy I have been getting with my custom .45 ACP 1911’s even though it’s minor caliber, and my 1911’s are always run well over 165 PF.  I figured that 30 years of carrying really good single actions needed retraining for the relatively crappy trigger on the X5,  but I never quite got to where I wanted to be.

Dropped in the Grayguns competition kits this week, and boom.  Unbelievable difference.  For the first time I’m much faster and more accurate on standard drills than I was with ol’ slabsides.

Do some homework before going for the tungsten guide rods, a few people have been peening the hell out of their barrel lugs with them.  

Thanks for the info. Without a doubt will be doing a GG Comp Kit. 

6 hours ago, mich3210 said:

If I go with the Flat trigger from Gray Guns will that keep me in the Production / SSP classes/divisions? 

6 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

You can run a hot pink aftermarket trigger in Production. It’s IDPA you have to worry about.

SSP: no, external trigger has to be factory; internal mods no problem

ESP: yes

Actually ... the rulebook does not explicitly rule out aftermarket triggers for SSP. However it does say that no visible external modifications are allowed.

I believe that along with the other trigger related discussion in the "SSP permitted modications list" is understood to imply no aftermarket triggers.

YMMV, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by ddc
clarification

8 minutes ago, ddc said:

SSP: no, external trigger has to be factory; internal mods no problem

ESP: yes

Just thought about it, and I'm going to be running an R1 on my X5, which puts me in CO.... CO follows ESP if I'm not mistaken. So the GG kit would be good to go. Am I thinking about this right? 

I developed the Armory Craft flat trigger for Sig hammer fired pistols with Milos. As such, the first time I m ever used a flat trigger was during all the prototype development and testing. I did not like a flatty at first (it was “so different”), however, after a couple thousand rounds fired  during testing and development, I now greatly prefer a flat trigger. To me it is much more “stable” and my finger position on it is much more repeatable (my finger returns to a consistent position on the shoe). In addition, the ability to go lower on a flatty creates a longer moment arm, thereby decreasing the amount of force required to pull the trigger. If you are new to them, try a flat trigger for a minimum of 1,000 rounds over a period of weeks - shooting only the flatty, not switching back and forth to a curved one - to really determine what you like, what feels most comfortable, which one works best for you and which one you feel most confident with.  Those are my $.02 for you to consider. 

Edited by DCSigCZ