Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC for Beginners

MisterPlink

I have question. Which IPSC division is best for beginners? Is it really Production? Or is Classic or Standard better?

Which would you recommend and why?  I haven't purchased my equipment yet because I am waiting on my gun

license. 

I was originally thinking of Production but maybe it is too much pressure for a beginner. I have yet to shoot a 

match in anything. I have never competed in any organized sport before.

Thanks in Advance.

Alex

dont get what you mean by pressure. The game is a game, and really isnt much difference between divisions. Still played the same.  Learning curve will be the same regardless. In US we usually say production, or limited minor,  but that is basically because  said beginners already own the required equipment. As you have nothing, start with whatever division strikes your fancy.

2 hours ago, MisterPlink said:

I was  thinking of Production but maybe it is too much pressure for a beginner.

Alex, really there is no answer to your question.     :surprise:

Which means that Production is as good as any other for a beginner.

And, IMHO, much better than revolver or SS.

And, involves the smallest monetary investment, in case you decide this

game is not for you.

If money is not an object, it is a little easier to start out with a gun that

will hold 18 - 23 cartridges which makes it easier to plan stages

and involves fewer reloads.

Either way, you will enter a world which can potentially bring you great

joy for the next few decades.     :cheers:

In the meantime, read as much as you can, right here on BE, about the

rules and how to enjoy yourself while staying safe.

Good luck     :)      🇨🇦     🇺🇸

pretty sure he is in 10 round land, and if not isnt IPSC production 15 rounds ?  so probably a wash on reloads.  Do agree on the lower cost of production. Especially if you arnt reloading. 9mm is about cheapest ammo u can get.

4 hours ago, Joe4d said:

pretty sure he is in 10 round land,

Ayup.

So unless you want to plug away with a revolver or splurge on a scoped, compensated Open gun, everything else is operationally equivalent. 

Anything reliable will serve, you can buy on "feel", price, or what the local champion shoots. 

What I don't know is whether there is a great emphasis on Major power factor in your Region.  9mm makes a lot of sense for low cost and low recoil at the expense of Minor scoring.  

Main Recommendation:  Hang out at the club while you wait on  your paperwork.  See what is being shot, what divisions, what makes and models.

Do you know anyone who shoots IPSC?  If so get a cost comparison and decide what is cheapest to start in.  Or ask if you can borrow their rig and try a match.  Most shooters will gladly loan stuff to a new person.  Try as many different Divisions as you can before spending your money. 

Paul Beck

13 hours ago, paul788 said:

Do you know anyone who shoots IPSC?  If so get a cost comparison and decide what is cheapest to start in.  Or ask if you can borrow their rig and try a match.  Most shooters will gladly loan stuff to a new person.  Try as many different Divisions as you can before spending your money. 

Paul Beck

I am going to be taking a lesson from a firearms instructor who was is an IPSC competitor with decades of experience. I did get an invitation to the range a few weeks ago from another IPSC guy. He let me shoot his Shadow 1 and showed me some stuff.

I was originally planning on shooting a 1911 in IPSC Classic ( Single Stack to you USPSA guys) but there isn't as much participation as in Production. The guy who let me shoot his Shadow said in my area at the last big match there were 53 competitors in Production, 14 in Classic, 11 in Standard, 15 in Open,  13 in Production Optics and 1 in Revolver.

He also cautioned me against shooting a 1911 because they aren't reliable enough for a beginner. He says when you are starting out you want your equipment to be as reliable as possible.

I guess I will go to my lesson in 2 days and see what the instructor says. Thanks for all your replies.

3 hours ago, MisterPlink said:

He let me shoot his Shadow 1 

at the last big match there were 53 competitors in Production, 14 in Classic, 11 in Standard, 15 in Open,  13 in Production Optics and 1 in Revolver.

That is great info for you - sounds like an easy decision now that you have that info.

You cannot go wrong with a Shadow.     :) 

Does IPSC Canada require passing a safety course before letting you participate?

How come the numbers in Production were so overwhelming? Is that a Canadian thing, or something specific to that Match? Here in Finland, Production has been big too, but Standard isn't that far behind (and then there's some Open shooters and us crazy people who enjoy 1911s and revolvers 🤣 ). We'll see how Production Optics continues to take off.

• 4 weeks later...

Update: I have been able to live fire roughly every 2 weeks and have gotten to the point where I can do a 3 inch group at 5 yards. 

I have been dry firing every second day for 30 minutes a session. I have been working on my grip and trigger control using a Mantis X system to evaluate my trigger control.

What should I be working on next? Draw/ reloads or working the trigger at speed? (something like the “Doubles” drill)

I have decided to shoot a 1911 for Classic division in 9mm. I have shot the 1911 in .45 and my groups are slightly larger but the cost of ammunition is a factor.

Edited by MisterPlink
added more information

50 minutes ago, MisterPlink said:

Update: I have been able to live fire roughly every 2 weeks and have gotten to the point where I can do a 3 inch group at 5 yards. 

I have been dry firing every second day for 30 minutes a session. I have been working on my grip and trigger control using a Mantis X system to evaluate my trigger control.

What should I be working on next? Draw/ reloads or working the trigger at speed? (something like the “Doubles” drill)

I have decided to shoot a 1911 for Classic division in 9mm. I have shot the 1911 in .45 and my groups are slightly larger but the cost of ammunition is a factor.

Well, there you go. Getting started is just getting started. Take the gear you have and compete. I'm very confident in saying that the gear has no relevance in performance initially. With off-the-shelf hardware you can make it up to A or Master with no fault directed to equipment. But do shoot as many divisions as possible, you might be surprised at what catches your fancy.